Full Janna Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CarlSagansCosmos

04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonk View Post
I appreciate trying to bash my brains in and again I am fully willing to demonstrate how well everything works in the the guide.
I don't think anyone was trying to bash your brains in.

Just that I think there is a general idea of how good something is.

I just question your tactics is all. For example: Zeph isn't that great of a nuke spell. At lvl 1, it does 60 damage and slows. Using it deprives you of your movement and your collision. Now take Eye. At lvl 1 it grants bonus 24 damage and protects you from counter attacks. Add the 24 to jannas base attack...and (I don't recall her base stats at the moment), but I'm willing to bet that you'll do more damage from 1 auto attack with shield on than you would with a zeph (and if not, relatively close). So, by going and using zeph, you're doing less damage and depriving yourself of it's passives, where as if you throw up a shield you lose nothing and do more damage and have 100 extra HP.

Zeph slow IS good, don't get me wrong, but it's far more circumstantial than eye. In this case, I simply say that you should either alternate between eye and zeph or simply max eye first. Having 1 point in monsoon and tornado should be fine till you have maxed them both then max monsoon then tornado.

Dragonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2010

I see exactly what your saying but your also forgetting that Zephyr also increasing your movement speed by a considerable margin. I believe that Janna's biggest strength is that she can pretty much leave everyone in her dust. By maxing Zeph early over not do decent damage with a spell your gonna be using a lot but will also make her move faster, making her more effective at killing those pesky escape artists and also at harassing her enemies. Zephyr also has a decent AP gain ratio which is also helpful for Eye of the Storm. Eye of the Storm is certainly a very powerful ability but its not what the strategies in the guide are all about.

Again I appreciate any input, I wouldn't have spent the time writing a guide on a character I know nothing about. The guide describes a hybrid Janna and thats what I'm going for, I'm aware of most of the popular builds for her and this is one that I find works excedingly well. I did consider the advice you guys gave and I made some changes accordingly but please don't make it like I no idea what I'm talking about or I'm purposely misleading players. To be honest this strategy has worked so well for me that I didn't think there was gonna be any controversy at all.

Chai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonk View Post
I think this is a difference in playstyle Chai, I think Janna really shines as a hit and runner which is good at all stages of the game and shes a fantastic assist. Nashors Tooth mana regen/cooldown reduction 25%/extra AP/ and attack speed is perfect for Janna. Its supplements everything. I feel Janna's main power is in that she can utilize all her abilities at the same time, She can hit the enemy with Zephyr, have Eye of the Storm active on herself, Howling Gale will come hit the enemy, all while she is just smacking away at them. This build is ment to compliment that.
I completely agree with you about the Hit and Run. However, Zephyr isn't something that is meant to be spammed because without Zephyr, a Janna's lost half her effectiveness.

From my perspective of a purely offensive DPS Janna, I believe that Nashors takes too long to build up. Neither Stinger or Book provides enough damage for Janna for her to farm champions efficiently as opposed to Zeal + Avarice Blade.

My personal build is always Doran's Blade > Berserker Grieves > Zeal > Avarice where the Zeal and Avarice are interchangeable. With runes, this gives Janna approximately 45% base crit and the ability to dish out 250 - 300 damage crits with shield, which can be EXTREMELY fearsome to almost any champion at around level 9.

Dragonk

04-08-2010

I think this is coming to this. I need to make another item build/leveling chart based on an attacking Janna and put it in my guide lol =D.

Dragonk

04-09-2010

So after testing for about 10 hours straight I put together a pure damage build for Janna. I think everyone whose been unhappy will agree thats what they wanted. I still fully support my hybrid build the damage isn't as high(by any stretch) but I believe it really brings out her versatility. I should have added a pure damage build to it originally but I wanted a build that would be a bit different, something that would get some attention (got what I wanted just not the way I wanted it) so hopefully now everyone is appeased.

Dragonk

04-09-2010

No commenets on the new build?

Yngve Zephyrous

04-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwke1dbx View Post
You suggest nashors, arch angel staff, phantom dancer, and rageblade? Random items?

If you want to be support then get: aegis, merc treads, starks, then something situational.

If you want to be DPS then get: brutalizer, zerker boots, zeal, infinity edge, phantom dancer

I'm being totally negative but it seems as if you're throwing random items and runes together in order to misdirect the new players.
I do agree, Eye of Storm is MUCH more beneficial as the first ability. I've saved myself AND teammates many times from first blood with it. Also, if you are winning the fight for first blood, throwing on Eye can allow you or your teammates the needed damage boost to finish off the enemy, or to even take one (MAAAAAYBE 2) shots from the enemy turret.

As for the items...

All of those items are good with Janna. They might be a bit random and not particularly build off of each other, but they all improve some of Janna's best attributes even more. Rageblade improves the power of her spells a bit, as well as gives her attack boost. Couple this with Eye of Storm, and suddenly you've got a tougher Janna with both offense and defense. Nashor is good for her, but mostly in that it offers cooldown reduction, allowing Janna to spam her spells more. Phantom Dancer makes Janna move faster, and she's already one of the fastest champions in the game. As for AA Staff, it's typically only good if you're building AP, but the bit of AP it offers plus lots of mana regen. is again, vital to spamming Janna's spells.

I've been thinking about making my own guide to Janna lately, though...

The key to playing an effective Janna is recognizing that she's one of the most flexible champions in the game. She is one of the best disabler/stunners with 2 effective crowd control abilities, and while she can't be the best DPS, Caster, or Tank, her abilities make her tough to take out, because they can all be used defensively as well as offensively.

Janna cannot carry a team *usually* but she can sometimes carry the carries on the team. *Meaning that they depend on her for their kills*.

Th0rtt

Recruiter

04-16-2010

Bump

Somafera

04-16-2010

You max E first, W second, R last and leave Q at level 1. Janna can drop champions to half hp in 1 crit at level 1 with shield buff, long sword and arpen runes, take advantage of that.

Janna doesn't need mpen runes since 99% of her damage are auto attacks.

Any sort of AP item is a waste on her, even archangel staff is, if you have mana problems just grab golem buff or buy a chalice, buying a very expensive item that isn't really going to help you lategame isn't a good idea. What helps her is CDR, so starting with a brutalizer is a good idea, so is getting soul shroud.

Inf edge and BT? Really? No, really? You aren't a pure carry, getting these items will only gimp yourself and your team, your damage with shield buff is already pretty respectable, get a starks, it will help more both you and your team.

Phantom dancer -is- good if the enemy team is full of carries (combined with dodge runes and nimbleness), otherwise its a waste.

Nashor tooth is very expensive and pretty lackluster, you don't need it, if you want attack speed just get starks/last whisper, if you want cdr then get soul shroud/frozen heart (and soon youmuu's blade, since you should be building brutalizer anyway).

You don't even mention cleanse for summoner skills?

Saavedra

04-16-2010

I don't like this type of build, and it's been a while since I've tried it (since it's always failed miserably for me) but it doesn't make much sense to me. Most people prefer to get howling gale at level 3 because it has such good utility, At least you maxed Eye of the Storm first, after you were told to do it enough times. Otherwise I can see that you just did R>E>W>Q with one level of Q at 5. You can either do it that way or level up zephyr evenly with shield. I would just tell new players to put another point into shield if it is lower than zephyr or if they don't feel "tanky" enough, otherwise put the extra point into zephyr instead, because the extra slow/damage really helps a lot with ganks.

Your item build SEEMS like a mess. It definitely doesn't make sense to get a meki pendant after an infinity edge since by then you won't have any mana difficulties - either get meki first or not at all. You've been told numerous times not to get Nashor's Tooth for Janna, so I'll tell you again: Don't get Nashor's Tooth for Janna. AD Janna's CD comes from brutalizer. Which by the way, is the perfect item for her since it gives her everything she needs at a ridiculously low price but you didn't see fit to include.

Don't get berserker greaves.

Normally, you always want to get damage before attack speed on any hero because the speed is worthless without damage first, so I can see how it can be tempting to get zeal right away if you're increasing shield as fast as you can. Maybe that's good, I can't really comment. I don't really plan my build on expecting I'll always have shield up on myself, though, since I often cast it on someone else. I would rather have the brutalizer even if I was doing this kind of build.

I just don't think this kind of build performs well. You're basically building her as a carry/dps, and she gets outcarried by... well, any real carry. I build Janna as a tank/dps, where she can do crazy stuff like flash in and use monsoon to initiate without dying, or win toe to toe, or harass aggressively and not care if you take another hit after your shield goes down. Catalyst then brutalizer then banshee works excellent against magic teams, and my build is a little more open against physical/hybrid or physical. Maybe ruby crystal to start, then brutalizer, then finish sunfire cape or something. One time I was up against a lot of high attack speed dps and as a third tank item I got thornmail, and I absolutely killed with it. I don't like to go catalyst if I'm not against magic because the only other good option than banshee veil is rod of ages, and I don't like AP for Janna, but it's a possibility.

The point I'm trying to make is that you always hear the advice that you have to change your item setup depending on the opposing team, but this is especially important to Janna. Although this is beside the fact that both your builds suck and as you keep playing I'm sure you will soon understand why.