Shaco. How to early game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zezaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2010

I've recently been reacquainted with Shaco and have been playing it practically every game. I have noticed a major flaw in my build and it is that I horribly suck early game that it makes my teammates facepalm. Once I get my Madred's Bloodrazor is when I start to own and frankly, 3800 gold takes a looong time to get. So how do I use Shaco early game and pretty much always get first blood like so many people expect me to do?

TheHegemuffin

04-07-2010

I'll take a shot at this since I'm also very new to Shaco (started last week) but, despite general sloppiness in my play, have been fairly successful at first blood. First of all, a GUARANTEED first blood doesn't matter so much as simply getting early lane kills, since I find that Shaco snowballs very well if you can get at least 2 kills by about level 5. That said, I play AP Shaco, so the Meji's isn't as demanding gold-wise as a Bloodrazor. If you REALLY REALLY want that first blood before anyone else then I suppose you can do what every next kid does who plays Shaco and mass Furor runes + Deceive + pack Exhaust + Ignite + gank whoever doesn't have Flash and hope your teammate does something. In MOST cases, though, even if you are Mr. mass crit damage AD Shaco, do yourself a favor and take JitB first, and if you really want to FB with Deceive, get an Elixir, get Lizard Buff, THEN try it. Otherwise you'll be getting Mana Golem and essentially capitalizing on your apparent weakness early game + HP lost from Golem to bait your enemies while you set JitBs in brush, behind them, essentially wherever you please with your abundant mana regen to set them off guard. Going all out with Deceive and buffs might work some of the time, but you end up having to try VERY hard for a very limited early playstyle, whereas you can almost ALWAYS rely on people's greed if you're at baitable amounts of HP (100-200 with Deceive mana, of course), have an ally who will at least autoattack, and have Jack in the Box to pop behind them when they try to flee. Even for an AP Shaco of course Exhaust and / or Ignite always help. Anyway, that's my two cents. Happy Shacoing and good luck!

Carados

04-07-2010

Bloodrazor... on Shaco...?

Play Shaco like a nuker, not a Melee DPS.

Cfuson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2010

im low-mid elo and when i play shaco all i do is buy 1 long sword and get his q decive skill go to a lane use decive and bam first blood. return to heal if need be and just travel the lanes ganking. Nuff said.

Insania

04-07-2010

shaco is a nuker, before the change of sword of occult he deal 1700 oneshot damage at lv 18... for firstblood you need to start with elixir red rally and exhaust, go mid if enemy without flash, place rally exhaust him and oneshot him

Ligr

04-07-2010

Okay, some advice from a fellow shaco player:

1) Runes. Donno how far down you are levelwise, but buy some crit runes. Stack furors, put some armor pen while you're at it. Last time I heard,a full furor page gives you 270 crit dmg at level one. That is half HP of most squishies. Throw in an ignite and there is your FB. Actually, now that they have hotfixed deceive, this number should be even higher.

2) Mana golemn. The blue golemn is possible to solo, get level 2 and come back to the lane with full health/mp and blue buff. You do this by getting the red elixir, 5 health pots. Run as fast as you can to the blue golemn, start laying JITB behind his spawn point. Use your red elixir. When he pops, attack him and let the JITB do the killing. Pop a health potion. Voila, you are level 2, mana buff, and deceive ready. Go get that FB.

3) There are several builds you can do, and maldred's isn't the only way to go, although it, too is very good. Some things I tried that have worked:

1)maldred's for 1000g + berserker boots + vampiric scepter allows you to safely kill all jungle minions without any HP loss. I usually build this when I find that I am having trouble in the game/lane or I my early game just went down the drain. Then I resort to jungling to farm myself back up.

2) "support" shaco. Go for some damage burst like Sheen and then build a starks'. Helps your team out a lot and yourself too.

3) Commit to fights that you can win. If your gut is telling you :"maybe I can kill that guy with all my skills", then don't do it. Commit only to sure kills. You are too squishy to afford big risks.

4) Sometimes, it does make sense to get only one minor damage item and then go for some beefy HP item, such as frozen mallet or even warmongs. The reaso being, some team setups have so much friggin' nuking power that you will die even before you can finish the "joke is on youuu" line...

5) Don't forget to push and kill towers. Use and abuse your ultimate to kill towers.

6) If there is a huge armada of 5 enemies marching onto your tower while you all cuddle behind it, it might be worth to step back and use your clone, it might lure that Ashe or Annie to use their ultimates and thus waste them.

7) Generally, mind**** the enemy. Shaco is the king of mindgames with his daggers hitting you out of nowhere, him stealthing in and out of fights as he wishes, him popping clone while he himself is in some bush cackling while you burst down his clone and get hit by his dmg.

Hope this helps.

Lathun

04-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligr View Post
Okay, some advice from a fellow shaco player:

1) Runes. Donno how far down you are levelwise, but buy some crit runes. Stack furors, put some armor pen while you're at it. Last time I heard,a full furor page gives you 270 crit dmg at level one. That is half HP of most squishies. Throw in an ignite and there is your FB. Actually, now that they have hotfixed deceive, this number should be even higher.

2) Mana golemn. The blue golemn is possible to solo, get level 2 and come back to the lane with full health/mp and blue buff. You do this by getting the red elixir, 5 health pots. Run as fast as you can to the blue golemn, start laying JITB behind his spawn point. Use your red elixir. When he pops, attack him and let the JITB do the killing. Pop a health potion. Voila, you are level 2, mana buff, and deceive ready. Go get that FB.

3) There are several builds you can do, and maldred's isn't the only way to go, although it, too is very good. Some things I tried that have worked:

1)maldred's for 1000g + berserker boots + vampiric scepter allows you to safely kill all jungle minions without any HP loss. I usually build this when I find that I am having trouble in the game/lane or I my early game just went down the drain. Then I resort to jungling to farm myself back up.

2) "support" shaco. Go for some damage burst like Sheen and then build a starks'. Helps your team out a lot and yourself too.

3) Commit to fights that you can win. If your gut is telling you :"maybe I can kill that guy with all my skills", then don't do it. Commit only to sure kills. You are too squishy to afford big risks.

4) Sometimes, it does make sense to get only one minor damage item and then go for some beefy HP item, such as frozen mallet or even warmongs. The reaso being, some team setups have so much friggin' nuking power that you will die even before you can finish the "joke is on youuu" line...

5) Don't forget to push and kill towers. Use and abuse your ultimate to kill towers.

6) If there is a huge armada of 5 enemies marching onto your tower while you all cuddle behind it, it might be worth to step back and use your clone, it might lure that Ashe or Annie to use their ultimates and thus waste them.

7) Generally, mind**** the enemy. Shaco is the king of mindgames with his daggers hitting you out of nowhere, him stealthing in and out of fights as he wishes, him popping clone while he himself is in some bush cackling while you burst down his clone and get hit by his dmg.

Hope this helps.
1) I believe all Armor Pen runes are still better than all crit damage runes unless they buffed them recently.

2) You don't need to actually pop your red potion here, I do it all the time by just stacking JitB in the bush and attacking Golem->luring him back to the bush and letting my JitB do the work.

SoopaTomato

Recruiter

04-07-2010

was ap shaco nerfed?

if he was, does anyone still play shaco that way? how do you build items/skills on him?

Zezaru

04-07-2010

Currently, All my marks are Armor Penetration, Quintessences are Attack Speed and have no others. I find that my Armor Penetration runes are very useful but the two times I actually got to use them (Got them recently) It was versus a Teemo and I couldn't do anything to gank (Nor could my lane partner) If I were to get all Crit damage runes, would it be worth it in the long run compared to Attack Speed and Armor penetration?

Quote:
This is the build I am currently using but I have realized that this build requires some-what of a competent team that can still hold their ground. Lately, I have had no such luck.

PatrickStar

04-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopaTomato View Post
was ap shaco nerfed?

if he was, does anyone still play shaco that way? how do you build items/skills on him?
Nope, just using two shiv makes you go out of Deceive. Ah, I miss stacking JitB and Deceive+two shiv combo.