Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Jax, Let's play leap flog!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SageMode

04-06-2010

Well hello again LOL Community,

As of late, I decided to start playing melee style champions. My first choice was jax. Regardless of what the QQ babies say jax is not op. Like any other champ he can be op if played well and built correctly. The following is an AD style jax guide that can lead you to the OP Jax everyone is talking, better yet complaining about.

How to play leap flog

Through out this guide if you find your self wanting a visual on this build go..... leaguecraft.com/builder/Jax/d54abc61acc7421ff9b38ffb342e801b (http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Jax/d54abc61acc7421ff9b38ffb342e801b)

Masteries

21/9/0

Follow the above link for more info on these masteries.

Rune page

Here's what I run.

9x dodge seals
9x armor penetration marks
9x cool down reduction @18 glyphs
2x dodge quintessence
1x armor penetration quintessence

Obviously you want dodge with jax since its his best trait. I use a bit of cooldown reduction along with blue buff in game to make leap strike more viable for initiating and chasing. Armor pen Is always good to have it helps take down tankier champs and the squishies will go down even faster.

Target item build

Ninja tabi
Guinsoo's rageblade
Leviathan
Frozen Mallet
Atma's impaler
Bloodthirster

Too see the result of the above items, masteries, and runes. Please visit the link I mentioned earlier. Keep in mind add 18% dodge from jax's e skill.

Skill level order

Q
E
W
Q
Q
R
W
Q
Q
W
R
W
W
E
E
R
E
E

I take Q first to go toward first blood. W second for the initial 10% dodge and stun. Then other than ult levels, I focus on maxing Q and W for more damage output.

Summoner spells

I only ever take 2 summoner spells on jax.

Flash: for narrow escapes, and chasing ability. If somone is running and gets around terrain ghost can't help you.

Ignite: I use this both offensively and defensively. At the begining of the game lane with a good push/ harrass champ get one target low. Leapstrike them at their turret ignite and flash out. Grats u got first blood.
Defensively I often use ignite as a scare tactic. For some reason ignited champs back off go figure.

Early game

Start with dorans blade and a health pot. I find it to be more effective early than a scepter. I have 666hp 67 and 4% lifesteal. I can stay in the lane longer early on this way.

Save up 850g and go get your ninja tabi with your runes this puts you at 33 % dodge very quickly. Which gives you a major advantage in survivability early on.

Next farm your Guinoos and leviathan. Regardless of how the match is going get leviathan. As jax your should play smartly and still get kills and assists easily. This Item stacks fast. And is an excelent assistant to your atlas later on remember jax's passive ya using atmas will take the damage added and ur passive turns It in to more HP.

Harrass your lane get kills without overextending when ur not in lane kill jungle creeps get blue and red. Buffs etc.

Mid to late game

While playing Jax you are best played as a mid team fight ganker. Let ur team initiate and then when cds are mostly used up leap In and start curb stomping people. Be sure you are using bother w and e. You want to be In all fights unless you are sure to lose. Stacking that leviathan to 20 makes you an unstoppable force.

Build a frozen mallet then build your atmas once you have those 2 items and 20 stacks you have over 260 AD, 40% dodge, 160 armor, and 4000 HP, you will be slowing people on hit and be taking -15% damage. If you have time make a bloodthirster buying the sceptre first and selling the dorans. If you manage to get it built. Go all out nothing can stop you. With this build complete I was 1v5ing and stomping them without going past 1/2 HP and 1v1ing with 2-3 tiny bars of HP when they are at full health.

I'll probably add more to this later posting from my phone makes my thumbs hurt lol.

Thanks for reading.

FailPatrol

04-06-2010

Im glad im not the only one who knows how to play Jax.

I go regroth pendant in begining and banshee instead of levi.

But still good

SageMode

04-07-2010

Quote:
FailPatrol:
Im glad im not the only one who knows how to play Jax.

I go regroth pendant in begining and banshee instead of levi.

But still good

Thx, I half expected the first response to be some trolling remark.

soolshock

04-07-2010

I prefer to start with Doran's shield, and cleanse/ghost. You should also try using of double elixirs. Otherwise, I have a similar item build except the leviathan and mallet. I'll have to try it.

SageMode

04-07-2010

Sometimes ill do elixers if I find I can afford to spend the g and if I feel I can get a kill or 2 out of it.

aznwillyy

04-07-2010

does lizard buff slow stack with frozen mallet slow?

soolshock

04-07-2010

Slows don't stack.

Belgskuh

04-07-2010

Very interesting guide! Im a jax player myself but I use a more agressive built xD.

But I tried this once on TT, was pretty nice. Was getting really nice hp. But I didn't make it to frozen mallet before the game was over lol. Thoagh I was fed, ended with 8 kills 6 assists 0 deaths.

Gonna try it on SR now, think its better there=)

Ill post when done!

But one thing, cooldown reduction on jax? His leap strike only has like 7sec cooldown at 5 which can't rly become less so I find it personally more usefull to get other glyphs like crit dmg.

Adel Dijerek

04-07-2010

Pretty solid build, though some things look odd to me:

A) Why Leviathan? Yes, it feeds Atma's, but it doesn't seem like a good choice to me, even as a champion that does winmore items as well as Jax. I can see plenty of choices that would probably work better in that slot.

B) Maybe I'm missing something, but the masteries don't seem to pop up. I can make a pretty good guess anyway, but I just wanted to note that.

C) Why Ignite? Exhaust seems more useful for FB if used correctly, since it sets the target up for more hits from you and your partner, why should cause more damage than ignite easily, as well as discouraging counterattacking from a good amount of heroes. Is it because of the extra AP you get from it being on cooldown?

D) Any reason in particular you're taking the Blade over the Shield or Ring? The lifesteal is pretty much neglible. The damage is obviously nice, but does it compensate for the added tankiness/ability spam?

Regardless, this is a very nice combination, and solid in most situations even before taking the enemy team into account. Good job!

Ultimatnoob

Recruiter

04-07-2010

Quote:
Adel Dijerek:

D) Any reason in particular you're taking the Blade over the Shield or Ring? The lifesteal is pretty much neglible. The damage is obviously nice, but does it compensate for the added tankiness/ability spam?

I personally like the blade best, and heres why.

6 damage = 24 health, not much, but a nice little bonus.
Extra damage is always a bonus, even if it is only 6.
the life-steal give about 1-2 health per hit at lvl 1-2, almost nothing, but at the early laning phases its been enough to keep me there longer than if I had no life steal.

While I can see the advantages of using other items, for an aggresive Jax player I think this is the best starting item(especially on TT).