Yet Another Hybrid Orianna Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FrieddRicer

06-22-2011

Hey guys I've been playing Orianna pretty predominantly since her release and I've been playing her as an AP Support champ, as many people initially (myself included) think she should be played. But recently I thought she should be able to have a bit more for her. So maybe this hybrid build would work decently for her.

Too often of times have I been in a situation where enemies would be able to escape, or jump in and kill my teammates while Orianna has been left unable to do anything, due to her being on CD and he auto-attacks not amounting to anything. Or the many problems associated with her ridiculously slow movement speed.

I have not tested it yet, but I will asap. This is my experiment of a build that I would like to share with you all and I hope to receive feedback on it.

ITEMS:

Start with a Sapphire Crystal and 2 health pots.

------Tear of the Goddess
Typically the first thing I build for orianna is the Tear of the Goddess. This is to make up for her poor mana regen early game as well as boosting her overall mana pool throughout the game.

-------Catalyst the Protector
I try to build this on my first b to buy along with the Tear to help with early laning phases.

-------RoA
As a squishy, I Rush RoA for hp, mana, and AP. This is my main source of survivability.

-------Boots of Swiftness/Merc Treads/Ionian Boots
This is really up to the player. Swiftness for enhanced mobility, Merc Treads for more survivability (or CC heavy teams) or Ionian Boots for maxed CDR.

-------Nashor's Tooth
As I usually play Orianna as a support champ, Morello's was always a core item in my build, due to the AP, mana regen, and CDR. I see this item as basically the same thing, just trade off some AP for AS, more CDR, and just a little less mana regen. I feel the AS is needed to deal as much DPS as possible, esp with your spells on CD. Your auto-attack should be able to take down enemy squishies while they focus you tank or other melee champs WHILE spamming your abilities and shielding your allies with E.

-------Trinity Force
I find this unique to any other Orianna build I have looked it. The reason for the Trinity Force is because, well, it gives a little bit of everything, but A LOT of movement speed. Should help with surviving, escaping, chasing, not to mention it has a slow.

-------Rabadonís Deathcap
Well... Orianna is a mage. Not much more to say. Helps with damage, buffs her shield, and works with her passive.

-------Arch Angel's Staff
If you even get to this point of the game, the LAST thing you should build is the AA staff just to make use of that tear of the goddess. As I said before, I've never had problems with just the Tear of the Goddess, but if the game drags on this long. just finish it up to get that extra boost in mana and AP

RUNES:
Haven't thought out exactly what to use here yet.

Movement Quints for sure.
Magic pen marks?
One option is to split the glyphs with CDR to reach the 40% cap with AP runes.
AP per level gyphs.
Flat Mana Regen seals for early game or AP per level seals

I've actually yet to figure out what is better for Orianna, AP per level runes or flat AP runes. Any feedback on this would be appreciated

------------------------------------------------------------

Well... I know this is pretty lengthy, but here are my ideas.
Please comment and let me know what you think!

Amaterasuomikami

06-22-2011

The problem with an Orianna building for her autoattack is

1- Her attack range is very small

2- She is very squishy building this way

3- A carry will still generally outdamage you with autoattacks

4- Orianna is like Lux, she excells at controlling the battlefield from a distance, using her autoattack as a means to put extra damage onto someone- but should never be relying on it.

I think you will find yourself alot more effective if you build like a normal AP caster, her autoattacks will still hurt but wont be a main part of her damage.

As for runes try Flat AP Quints and Scaling AP Blues
Best of both worlds

Redenbacher

06-22-2011

All AP items, and then you throw in Trinity Force? I kind of get why, but there will be a much greater benefit with a Lichbane. You lose some HP, AD, AS, Crit, and on-hit slow - all of which you don't need anyway.

Tear, AND Catalyst? Choose one or the other, not both. Orianna needs to get rolling in AP before she can do anything worthwhile... spending your first 2.2k gold (and not buying Sorc Shoes) means your damage is pitiful until much later - you won't finish your build if you don't start winning teamfights with huge AoE burst from Q, R, W. Personally, I dropped Tear for Catalyst and started running Clarity, grabbing NLR as fast as possible. The sooner she gets Rabadon's, the sooner her usefulness to the team skyrockets.

m0gX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2011

Frieddricer, I like some of the ideas in your build, specifically I LOVE having nashor's tooth on orianna, personally I found a great strategy is to get AP items with attack speed, utilizing nashor's tooth as basically the main item in the build.

So I usually start with I think doran's ring, then get the boots that reduce CD by 15%.

Then I believe I got Reilegh;s Crystal septer, useful because of the hp for less squishyness, the AP, and the slow effect (very useful)

followed by nashor's tooth, amazing for the CDR (which will get you to the 40% max), attack speed, ability power, and mana regen. I usually get the book half of it first.

and then malady. Malady is amazing because it further gives me attack speed, the additional on hit damage, and reduces magic resist, which most of my damage relies on.

Then I would probably get death cap (pretty obvious why). I may switch the order of malady and deathcap depending on what I feel like.

Last I would likely get another AP item or possibly wit's end.

I find this works because her passive added damage to attacks makes her a great hero to use for attack speed and on hit damage, similar to teemo or twitch. Adding the AP items further increases her attack and abilities, so this is a great build to be pretty aggresive in fights and make it hard for enemies to get away or catch up to you with her slow and ult combined with rieligh's slow (sorry I cant spell that). I find I am usually able to take people out pretty quickly, and though I wouldn't want to take on trynd or yi 1v1 late game, there aren't many champs who could take them, and against most others you can do some good damage and get away if you dont kill them.

Another VERY good thing about this build, is this: I was playing a game as Leblanc, in general I like spell casters, and I was doing absolutely amazing, like 25/2. The rest of my team wasnt amazing, but they weren't feeding them, at the end I believe we still were outkilling the other team around 60 to 50 or 45. However, we still lost the game. The thing I realized, was that though I could kill anyone in about 2 seconds or less, no one on my team was a really good pusher, and after I killed someone, I couldnt do anything to kill enemy turrets. In contrast, this build allows orianna to be an amazing pusher and take turrets, which I find is very important, generally more important to winning games then getting kills. So after I kill an enemy, I can push up and take a turret quickly, rather than waiting for minions to do it. Though she still isnt the fastest to kill turrets, she can do SOMETHING.

So thats my idea for her, I find it is somewhat similar to yours in the way of utilizing attacks

end3r

06-22-2011

I have a friend how goes Rage Blade and Lich Bane with other AP carry items (dc etc etc). He seems to do very well with it. This build isn't really for 1v1 situations for but maximizing dmg when on CD. Obviously he needs a strong team to keep the focus off of him. I honestly don't like ori. I think she is a weak champion that needs to be carried by a good team. Not saying she doesn't do dmg. A fed orianna is a scary thing, but against good players she shouldn't get to that level.

FrieddRicer

06-22-2011

Thanks for the input you guys.

@Amaterasuomikami - I can see what you mean by the cons of building her around her AA even a little, but I just think she should do so much more for a team if the enemies are focused on another teammate, and I did not intend to use this build for 1v1.

@Redenbacher - I agree with your point, I think I could switch out my Trinity Force for any other item that may benefit her such as a Lich Bane or Rylai's. And I will definitely try running Orianna with Clarity (which sadly I haven't tried yet. Silly me.) With that I could then maybe rule out the AA Staff as a whole. I will consider rushing Deathcap much sooner.

@m0gX - Thank's for liking some ideas in my build! I also like how you get Rylai's first after boots. With the AS from Nashor's with her W she should be sure to be very helpful in teamfights. I may also consider switching out my Trinity Force for a Lich Bane or even a Malady's like you do. But I have a question. How is your mana pool with that build? There's nothing in there that really gives her a bunch of mana or regen, so I'd assume her oom problems are still there?

@end3rzor - Ahh, I would hope Orianna really isn't as bad as people say if played right. I shall keep experimenting and see how it works.

m0gX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2011

mana problems do still exist, though its easy to create them with such low CDs. I dont know how often you use abilities on creeps, but with the usefullness of her attacks, it shouldnt be neccessary, which may save you some mana. also, the mana regen from nashor's helps. TBH, mana problems will always exist, but they shoulnt be a large an issue if you save your abilities for almost only champions, and then go back ocasionally. I find mid to late game it isnt too much of a problem.

I would definately agree with switching out trinity. Main reason is this: crit is useless to you in such a small amount of it and low AD not to mention no infinity edge. as well, AD isnt very useful. trinity is great as a grab bag of bonuses for a dedicated AD DPS hero, but not as much for the purposes of orianna IMO. Lich's bane is a great alternative, I think i actually get it a lot of the time.

edit: lich's bane is good especially because of the sheen-type effect, which is great for orianna since she can cast so often.

FrieddRicer

06-22-2011

Oh right, I forgot at how much her AS and damage would improve. Haha.

Yeah, when I ran her as AP support I'd be spamming her spells every second on anything but I used morello's and tear of the goddess, but not having mana for team fights shouldn't be a problem with this build as I'd be taking them out with my AA.

Definitely going to experiment with all these ideas today... Once the server is up... Hahaha