Support - The only viable Ezreal build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swiftstar88

04-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingledot View Post
On a final note, I think given the fact that he is forced into a support role support for most games, why play him over someone else... Sivir, Soraka, Taric, Janna etc...

A) Really fun to play
B) Has another role that none of them fill: DPS/Support hybrid. With DPS being first, not secondary, and it scales. Sivir's personal DPS falls VERY short in longer games. Soraka is support primarily and is ugly. Taric is boring and does no damage. I don't like playing Janna.
If Sivir has a long game, then the Summoner has failed miserably.

Anyways, I'll have to try the locket thing next time he's free, it sounds like an interesting idea. Will probably hit Lich Band after anyways, though.

Fragglerock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azing View Post
Disagree DPS Ezreal is very viable as well. Really though pretty much AP is support. It isn't as support heavy as it could be but simply replace an item with an aegis and/or defensive item and BAM your support ezreal. Really hes not that amazing as support. Hes more focused towards AP for that extra healing and damage.
You don't need an aegis to build/play him as support. And I would agree, Aegis is not very good for him. And if you read my OP you would see that I fully intend for Ezreal to be a DPSer... hes just not a carry.

What makes him 'supporty' in my eyes is that the locket is the first item your build. Once you have your locket and boots completed you really aren't lined up to be the carry. But you also aren't locked into any particular build... so you can get whatever your TEAM needs. Its not like your first few items are a Mejai's and a couple blasting wands, which really locks you into a carry role and very poor mid-game - unless you do unusually well early on.

Zenharu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2010

I play full AP Ezreal. The build I use solves 2 of the 3 problems you listed: Rod of Ages.
Start the game with a Sapphire and 2 health pots, get a catalyst and boots, then get you RoA by level 10 and get boots based on what the other team is. What I've been getting a lot as of late and loving is Merc's Treads. Now I didn't read the entire thread, so I dunno if anyone else posted this and you gave your reasons for why this doesn't do what you're looking for, but this has been working amazingly for me. I've been playing Ez since he was release, and I have a decentg ratio with him, and that's even including the games before I figured out my build. If you haven't tried it, I suggest you do at least once. It works amazingly well for me.

Longshot405

04-08-2010

I've said it before, and i'll say it again: Ezreal is adaptable. He has a lot of viable builds, none of which will excell beyond what other champs can do. The main key is that he can fill a few different roles depending on what your team needs. The three main builds i can see put to use are AD, AP, and AP/Tank Support (my idea is slightly different than what you suggest, but i think yours is better).

Fragglerock

04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenharu View Post
I play full AP Ezreal. The build I use solves 2 of the 3 problems you listed: Rod of Ages.
Start the game with a Sapphire and 2 health pots, get a catalyst and boots, then get you RoA by level 10 and get boots based on what the other team is. What I've been getting a lot as of late and loving is Merc's Treads. Now I didn't read the entire thread, so I dunno if anyone else posted this and you gave your reasons for why this doesn't do what you're looking for, but this has been working amazingly for me. I've been playing Ez since he was release, and I have a decentg ratio with him, and that's even including the games before I figured out my build. If you haven't tried it, I suggest you do at least once. It works amazingly well for me.

Going RoA start was actually what I originally said in this thread. I like the AP you get from it... getting a guaranteed 80 AP from your first item is good times. I liked it so much I ignored the 2 nagging issues: Its slow to build. that 600g more can be a pretty painful wait. After I built it, it still didn't solve my regen problems so I was STILL pillin' back for health and mana until I bought another item to solve that issue. Problem is, what single item does solve that issue? Only the locket... the components for which aren't very good mid-game, so until you have it fully built you are just gimpy. But then I switched it around and got the locket first and it worked out so much better that I dropped the RoA from my build entirely. I felt the difference in having the regen much more than I did the extra stats and AP... not only that, the effect is multiplied by your team. The last point a lot of people don't care about... these people prefer a higher kill count to actually winning, though. A DPSer also doing 30,000+ in healing, let alone mana, does a LOT for your team.

And I Always consider Merc treads. I've even gotten ninja tabi... it really is situational. Merc are amazing, but pricey. Tabi are good vs a whole team of AD and they are CHEAP. Mobility is just my 'standard', but I probably only end up getting them 1 in 3 games.

Villegard

04-08-2010

I go AP Ez every game. If I wanted to go AD I would pick a champ that does it much better. (theres a lot of them).

Tips You Can Take Or Leave:

-Get clarity and use it like a crutch. You dont need to fill your inventory with silly mana items. Use clarity. Dont worry about harrassing too much early game (unless you manage to get nice chances on squishies) and you can avoid most enemy harrassing because of your range. You should be paying attention to what matters and that is spamming Q for last hits. 1 rank in Q practically costs nothing.

-Get flash (or ghost) for escapes. Use it for escapes, or if you really want to get that dude running half way across the map you can flash and pop E to finish him. Start fights out of your enemies sight if possible. Stay back, use your teammates as if they are pawns and then make it up to them by healing them and buffing them later mid-fight.

-When the fighting gets locked in Ult as many of them as you can and move in with W after your front line has taken some hurt. With those two abilities alone you have more than done your part in this team fight taking into consideration the AoE Damage/Heal/Buff/DeBuff.

-I go straight AP. And by that I mean NOTHING but AP or stats that increase the damage I do with spells. I want them to hurt as much as possible from my ult and w. They will cringe every time that wave touches their bodies before waiting in black and white looking for magic resist items.

-More specific Item build

Dorans Ring (the value here is too good) + health pot
Sorc Shoes
Mejais Soulstealer
Zonyas Ring
(if they start stacking MR) Void Staff

-Games rarely last longer than this but if they do I would recommend Archangels Staff. (Yes a silly mana item but the AP % is actually amazing)

-I would get Lichbane after this I think but to be honest I hate his Q. I think it is good for spamming on minions for reduced cooldown and getting early last hits. A tank will walk in the way and oh you just missed the target. Oftentimes only chance of getting them involves putting yourself at great risk. which is not good for Ez. Lichbane would help with tower pushing but you dont really need it if your adding 40% AS to your carry. I would prefer more AP from my item choices.

-Skill Build I use is First Q: Then follow R>W>E>Q

-If you do get focused mid-fight use zonyas and your teleporting abilities to take them on a ride through your brutish teammates who are no doubt enjoying the punching bag. And by this time you would have already Ulted and done most of your job so even if they manage to burst you down you already put your 2 cents down their throat and the fight is most likely going in your favor.

-Ezrael doesn't need a lot of time in the danger zone to do what he has to do, with good map awareness, champion knowledge and judgement you will rarely take damage let alone die.

-Banshee's Veil can be a pain but there are ways around it. The best being Twisted Fate Ult right before a team fight instantly dropping all of their shields.

-Amumu and Ezrael is an almost broken combo if you play Ez in this fashion. You aren't wasting time or money on mana items so your Ult is going to hurt and they cant move out of it. If they spread out they have just added travel time to the act of dealing their damage making them easier to pick off.

-Ezrael is certainly support, hes not a one v one champ, and if you build him to be so you gimp yourself. Auto attack on Ez is bad. You have no CC or slows that other great physical carries possess. You are ridiculously squishy and the only way to remedy this is to sacrifice damage putting you behind. And since auto-attack is your damage you need to be up in their faces to do anything worthwhile. Good Luck with that.

-People say early game AP Ezrael is not very good, but you are wrong when you blindly stack AP like I do. It gets them hurting early.

-It does take more awareness than the average player to pull this play style off I would say, but even if your small number of bars entices the enemy you can use this to your advantage very well.

-Overall these tips go toward emphasizing what I believe to be Ezrael's greatest strengths and leaving the rest to more qualified champions. In well organized groups and randoms this way of playing has proven the most successful many many times.

Edit* Also as heavy AP it makes stealing buffs easy as hell with wards at lizard/golem/dragon. A bit more tricky with Baron.

Pieceofcandy

04-08-2010

AD can hold it's own, it's just a slightly different play style.

Fragglerock

04-08-2010

@Villegard

Having played that build quite a bit, the problem with it is I have a tough time keeping mejais stacks. From there, you are a pretty gimpy carry. With Ez especially I find the amount of stacks you have to be more of an indicator of how well your team is doing than how well you are doing. Ergo if you have lots of stacks, you've probably already won, you're just winning more.

But again, I might just suck at being AP carry with him.

Edit: Actually, playing AP-carry on Ez reminds me a lot of playing AP shaco... but maybe its just me.

xKey

04-08-2010

I've used locket on Ezreal for quite awhile now and I can say it's by far the best build I've had on him.

I generally start the game off with sapphire and 2 healing pots, then work on getting catalyst with boots, next is mana manip., then finally locket.

Upgrade boots to mobility or mercury (mercury if they have a stun-tastic team)

Next on the list if Mejai's, which generally isn't too late to get at this point, followed by a lich bane. I generally ignore rage blade and/or rylais because a) they're too expensive b) lich bane grants magic resist and more mobility and c) that late in the game I generally don't chase so I find the burst from lich to be a bit better.

If the game still is dragging on (which plenty of them end early with the support/push from locket, then I'll grab a Zhonya's, moreso for the active use then the AP.

I really liked your guide though, I think locket Ezreal is definitely one of the strongest builds out there.

What summoner abilities do you use?
I've been playing with friends lately so I volunteered to be the clairvoyance ***** and I've always always always gotten flash on Ezreal and I don't feel like his E is really enough.

Fragglerock

04-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKey View Post
I've used locket on Ezreal for quite awhile now and I can say it's by far the best build I've had on him.

I generally start the game off with sapphire and 2 healing pots, then work on getting catalyst with boots, next is mana manip., then finally locket.

Upgrade boots to mobility or mercury (mercury if they have a stun-tastic team)

Next on the list if Mejai's, which generally isn't too late to get at this point, followed by a lich bane. I generally ignore rage blade and/or rylais because a) they're too expensive b) lich bane grants magic resist and more mobility and c) that late in the game I generally don't chase so I find the burst from lich to be a bit better.

If the game still is dragging on (which plenty of them end early with the support/push from locket, then I'll grab a Zhonya's, moreso for the active use then the AP.

I really liked your guide though, I think locket Ezreal is definitely one of the strongest builds out there.

What summoner abilities do you use?
I've been playing with friends lately so I volunteered to be the clairvoyance ***** and I've always always always gotten flash on Ezreal and I don't feel like his E is really enough.
If the game is going well, I might be tempted to get a mejais after locket... really it comes down to the situation. Sometimes my team REALLY needs a snare, sometimes I need more HP, sometimes I just need shorter cooldowns for more W. I guess I just don't plan on a game going so long that a late mejais is the best direction? But its amazing how many kills/assists you'll rack up just by keeping your team alive for so long.

I always get clarity and something else. Lately its been heal, actually. The unpredicted heal has been awesome in the laning phase for baiting people or just keeping me there longer. Flash makes E less of a suicide mission, however. Really, other than clarity anything decent seems to be just as useful. Clarity is a must, though. And your mages will love you for getting the mastery for it.