Support - The only viable Ezreal build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swag Daddy Nik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-06-2010

The great thing about Ezreal is he can AP dps and support at the same time. You don't have to specifically build support because only one of his spells is support and probably shouldn't have builds made around it.

Fragglerock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2010

I did some major editing on the OP because after some more play-testing, it looks like RoA to Locket just builds too slow. It worked pretty well, but when I switched to Locket first, and dropped the RoA entirely, I did MUCH better.

Essentially, Locket is the necessary item on him... but its still not cheap, and doesn't have any AP on it. So you will still fall behind on being the carry.

Back to the original point, how does the itemization force you into a support role? By the locket being essentially a required item, you wont have any bonus AP or a mejais at this point in the game, so automatically the way to play him for maximum potential has a lot more to do with support than a straight DPSer.

Where decent DPS carries have some way to mitigate the fact that they are, as someone else in this thread put it, a wet cookie with a small mana tank, Ezreal requires that you fix these things first and the only item capable of fixing them well enough is expensive and support-oriented.

Azing

04-07-2010

Disagree DPS Ezreal is very viable as well. Really though pretty much AP is support. It isn't as support heavy as it could be but simply replace an item with an aegis and/or defensive item and BAM your support ezreal. Really hes not that amazing as support. Hes more focused towards AP for that extra healing and damage.

Fluffy1

04-07-2010

the AD build is great early game due to the armour pen runes making mystic shot hit like a truck and farms well, AP on the other hand is slow start but nukes harder, ive been trying to get a hybrid that builds with the armour pen runes and then goes AP mid game, its working well. ill keep testing.

but if i wanted to go support wouldn't getting a frozen heart be the best choice since slows from 1 ability and 1 item stack, means you can reduce their physical carries attack speed significantly with W, which reduces their damage and life-steal quite alot.

or so at least ive heart that item and ability slow stacks multiple times, the mechanics thread says otherwise, ill might just go test this.

EDIT: just tested it, frozen heart and essence flux attack speed debuff do stack, dropped a yi from 1.0 attack speed down to 0.54, was amusing.

xahhfink6

04-07-2010

Sigh... Ok, this is a good build for AP ezreal, if built as AP, Ezreal should be as a support character and locket is probably the best way to go. +1 for that

That said, Ap Ezreal is TERRIBLE compared to AD Ezreal. The reason that most AD ezreals do so badly is that they don't actually BUY attack damage items! I see ezreals that buy chalice, boots 2, sheen, phage, trinity force... Ok, so you have spent 6400 gold and bought a total of 20 damage.

Go into a practice game and trying buying a BF sword on ezreal. Everything dies.

What I usually do is start with Sapphire Crystal + 2 hp pots (I always try to take a solo lane)
When I get to 925 gold, I blue pill, buy a catalyst, then teleport back. With catalyst, it is easy to stay in lane until you get to the 1850 for a BF sword. At that point, you will be farming like crazy. I then buy boots, then upgrade to Bloodthirster and go to farm it up to max as soon as possible. (by the way, at this point you dominate golem without any trouble, even if you only have BF sword or Bf Sword and Vamp scepter it goes down without you taking anything) I then go for boots of swiftness (it is important to stay out of enemy range) and then a brutalizer, to max out my armor pen and get CDR (max with golem). After that, I turn the Locket into a Banshee's Veil for the HP and the ability to get completely ignored by enemies during teamfights while you beat them to a pulp.

If the game goes on past that, I usually go for Black Cleaver, or Sword of Occult if I am carrying, but I do not like to buy it because it gives the enemy a reason to focus me.

Voidgolem

04-07-2010

That said, Ap Ezreal is TERRIBLE compared to AD Ezreal.

Q does obscene damage if you buy a lichbane, you realize (Frequently higher than AD's version, thanks to AP being generally cheaper and easier to hoard). Turns you from a 'Q, two useless spells, and Ult/Autoattack' character to 'All my spells hurt' character.

Experience says go Hybrid. Lichbane + Soulstealer + Phage/Mallet/Brutalizer + Rageblade. Wins games.

xahhfink6

04-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidgolem View Post
That said, Ap Ezreal is TERRIBLE compared to AD Ezreal.

Q does obscene damage if you buy a lichbane, you realize (Frequently higher than AD's version, thanks to AP being generally cheaper and easier to hoard). Turns you from a 'Q, two useless spells, and Ult/Autoattack' character to 'All my spells hurt' character.

Experience says go Hybrid. Lichbane + Soulstealer + Phage/Mallet/Brutalizer + Rageblade. Wins games.
I will concede the point that Lichbane does a lot on his Q, but not until later levels. The biggest problem I see with AP ezreal is that your W is better as a heal/buff/debuff than as a damage/harassing move, and that your E should only be used to chase/escape. I'd rather have a Q that is about as powerful, two useful moves, a nuke, and a really powerful autoattack than have a two mediocre nukes, a powerful nuke and be super squishy. The other advantage of AD is that onhit effects proc on Mystic shot, including lifesteal and blackcleaver.

AP ezreal can do a lot of damage if he gets fed for his mejais and isnt focused during teamfights ever, but not only is that unlikely but the two points counteract each other. AD ezreal, on the other hand, is an AMAZING farmer, so he will be able to carry the game with ease.

Ligr

04-07-2010

Hey Zingle! I tried your build, going with locket first, and I gotta say it works nicely! You are completely correct that EZ falls behind in the DPS, but the locket allows for amazing farming/pushing and support of the team! All of the sudden EZ isn't so squishy anymore and instead of trying to line up skill shots I just focus on healing the allies and getting as much DPS as I can into the enemy.

I made a pretty strange build: Locket, berserker boots, guinsoo rageblade, rylais', void staff. It was funny, since I could support well, my physical attack was close to 200, AP was well over 200, and I had slowing attacks and enough HP to live in teamfights. I am pretty sure that support Ezreal is the way I am going to play him from now on :-)

Fragglerock

04-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahhfink6 View Post
Sigh... Ok, this is a good build for AP ezreal, if built as AP, Ezreal should be as a support character and locket is probably the best way to go. +1 for that

That said, Ap Ezreal is TERRIBLE compared to AD Ezreal. The reason that most AD ezreals do so badly is that they don't actually BUY attack damage items! I see ezreals that buy chalice, boots 2, sheen, phage, trinity force... Ok, so you have spent 6400 gold and bought a total of 20 damage.

Go into a practice game and trying buying a BF sword on ezreal. Everything dies.

What I usually do is start with Sapphire Crystal + 2 hp pots (I always try to take a solo lane)
When I get to 925 gold, I blue pill, buy a catalyst, then teleport back. With catalyst, it is easy to stay in lane until you get to the 1850 for a BF sword. At that point, you will be farming like crazy. I then buy boots, then upgrade to Bloodthirster and go to farm it up to max as soon as possible. (by the way, at this point you dominate golem without any trouble, even if you only have BF sword or Bf Sword and Vamp scepter it goes down without you taking anything) I then go for boots of swiftness (it is important to stay out of enemy range) and then a brutalizer, to max out my armor pen and get CDR (max with golem). After that, I turn the Locket into a Banshee's Veil for the HP and the ability to get completely ignored by enemies during teamfights while you beat them to a pulp.

If the game goes on past that, I usually go for Black Cleaver, or Sword of Occult if I am carrying, but I do not like to buy it because it gives the enemy a reason to focus me.
Now I wouldn't say that AP is terrible in comparison... perhaps I was a bit unfair in saying that AD sucks, but I still just don't believe that is what Ezreal is 'best' at.

Like I said before, upside to AD is that you don't use your escape for damage. This is pretty major... like AP shaco not using deceive for his opening move frees him up. Perhaps I'm just not good with AD Ezreal, but I find his Q too unreliable.

In the laning phase they'll hide behind creeps. Late game you have trouble landing the shot on the target of your choice... many times you end up using your E anyway simply for positioning. Also, later on, your heal and ult aren't scaled very well. Not to mention, you probably still don't have the mana to do a lot of any of it because AD items don't have mana on them(points back to my original post about itemization for AD being poor).

To top it off, without some good survivability items mixed in there, you become simply a Q spammer with no snare/stun who can't stand still long enough to auto-attack much because you'll get dropped - and you also need to stack up your AS passive before you do any decent damage.

This is where the trinity force comes in, really. The sheen is a given(MANA!), the phage is your HP, and late game the trinity is the lichbane of your build, especially with the bloodthirsters. Perhaps it IS a better idea to rush the +dmg before the trinity... I'll give you that. However lichbane build does have its weakness... internal 3 second cooldown. Meaning your Q is all well and good, but it doesn't do much for your auto-attack. This is really why I don't think its good to focus on rushing the lichbane for AP Ezreal...

Anyway, there are a lot of theoreticals where you could say 'if you just play better it works', but I'm just saying that in my experience, thats how AD adds up.

Fragglerock

04-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligr View Post
Hey Zingle! I tried your build, going with locket first, and I gotta say it works nicely! You are completely correct that EZ falls behind in the DPS, but the locket allows for amazing farming/pushing and support of the team! All of the sudden EZ isn't so squishy anymore and instead of trying to line up skill shots I just focus on healing the allies and getting as much DPS as I can into the enemy.

I made a pretty strange build: Locket, berserker boots, guinsoo rageblade, rylais', void staff. It was funny, since I could support well, my physical attack was close to 200, AP was well over 200, and I had slowing attacks and enough HP to live in teamfights. I am pretty sure that support Ezreal is the way I am going to play him from now on :-)
Glad it worked out for ya! Guinsoo is an interesting item... I might play with it more because it would help his farm and still give a good amount of AP... As for the zerker boots, I only don't like them because they don't really synergize well. He already gets enough attack speed.. if there were boots that give +dmg, I'd say go for it, though.