Support - The only viable Ezreal build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fragglerock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-06-2010

Has anyone else noticed that Ezreal seems best played as support? However, I've yet to see any guides or builds that aren't max damage builds. Now this isn't a guide, but more an explanation of WHY, given the item selection in LoL, he is almost forced down a support role, and is 100% open to discussion or being completely refuted. Edit: And I should clarify, I don't mean support first, dps second. He is primarily a damage dealer.

First, hes just not all that good as a carry. Sure on my smurf he works out fine as a carry, but not in any real games.

AD Ezreal sucks, lets just get that out of the way. Nothing like having a slow-moving, short-ranged, auto-attacker to tickle the enemy...plus side, you don't have to use his escape mechanism for damage. "But what about his passive and his Q?! It obviously points towards at LEAST a hybrid build!" His passive is there so he can take down towers better than Zilean. And his Q is for laning and reducing cooldowns on REAL abilities. Why? Because no items in the game provide enough synergy to make it work. Guinsoo's is the best hybrid item for Ezreal, and yet it still sucks for him. No HP, no MP, the stack does ZERO for his Q. At best, its a good AP item given how fast Ezreal can stack it up.

So we're AP Ezreal. Man, that Z-ring looks pretty... and that lichbane makes it a mean combo. Pitty you've still only got 1500 HP so everyone targets you first and drops you before you can be of any use. And too bad the Z-ring no longer gives mana, because if you do stay alive you're very quickly oom. Also, this is assuming you have Clarity for one summoner spell.

So we've got a few problems facing our AP Anime prodigy:

• Low survivability
  • Not enough mana tank
  • Not enough HP/MP regen

These weaknesses just can't be ignored. They are not small problems. Needless to say, Z-ring now needs to take a back seat for some longevity.

What item in this game provides mana, hp, and tons of regen, and also syngergizes well with Ezreal's Q spam?

Innervating Locket

The locket is really the only item in the game that is both good for Ezreal in laning, and provides enough tank/regen afterwards. Not only that, but combined with his W, you can help your team sustain pushes for a LONG time. Problem is it costs so much, and gives you no AP, so you're going to be pretty far behind in the 'carry race'. But once you have the locket, you have the HP and MP to actually open up the rest of his game.

"Why don't you get the golem?" You ask. Well, have you tried to kill the golem with Ezreal? Assuming no one else beats you to it, it'll take you so long to kill it you'll probably get ganked, and certainly need to pill back for health. All in all, you've got more mana, but you're a level behind and missed out on that much farming. Grats kid.

Boots, I usually go with mobility. You need to be able to do your chores, and still be there for every team fight.... and with his inherit TERRIBLE movespeed (305), you need them if you ever want to escape anything that doesn't involve going over a wall and hoping they can't follow. Sorc's boots is 2nd choice...swiftness isn't getting you away, so you might as well hit harder.

So we've got good HP and MP, but we have 0 AP. So your AP Ez is looking pretty weak-sauce....except that he has the ability to use his abilities A LOT - which scales much faster than AP at this point in the game. But still, you didn't start with a Mejai's, and you aren't on your way to getting the Z-ring built, so you're pretty far entrenched into not being your team's primary burst nuker. Upside, you aren't dead or back in base getting mana. You can stay in the fight a LONG time, and HEEEEAAAALLL.

From here its more about the situation, but lets look at the core of what Ez does best: W, R, and escape/dmg(E). AP makes all these better, but cooldown reduction is just as good, if not better - situationally.

• Rylais - If they are STILL beating their head against you thinking they have to 'nuke the carry' and your team needs another snare.
  • Glacial Shroud - Your team likes to stay in 10 minute conflicts? Glacial Shroud.
  • You need more offense: Deathfire Grasp. Don't forget to USE it.

What about the Z-ring and lichbane combo? If this game is really pushing that kind of length where you can farm up another 7k. More power to ya.

End result: Locket, boots, Rylais/Shroud/Deathfire, Z-ring, Lichbane.

Fragglerock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-06-2010

On a final note, I think given the fact that he is forced into a support role support for most games, why play him over someone else... Sivir, Soraka, Taric, Janna etc...

A) Really fun to play
B) Has another role that none of them fill: DPS/Support hybrid. With DPS being first, not secondary, and it scales. Sivir's personal DPS falls VERY short in longer games. Soraka is support primarily and is ugly. Taric is boring and does no damage. I don't like playing Janna.

Supreme1337

04-06-2010

Your points sound very valid when you make them, but fact is that I've seen people play AP Ez very effectively. This build still sounds very viable, though, and I will definitely give it a try. I'll give more feedback once I've tried it. Just one question: What's the cost up through the first four items (an estimate is fine)?

Fragglerock

04-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme1337 View Post
Your points sound very valid when you make them, but fact is that I've seen people play AP Ez very effectively. This build still sounds very viable, though, and I will definitely give it a try. I'll give more feedback once I've tried it. Just one question: What's the cost up through the first four items (an estimate is fine)?
Keep in mind, this is still AP Ez, he's just not AP-carry. I've seen Ezreal be a good carry. I've been a good carry with him. But its rare that it works out, especially against decent players. You essentially need a stacked majai's(or something more expensive) another strong AP item, and a Lichbane to "carry". But thats a lot of money, a gamble on a snowball item, and still leaves you with far too few HPs and MPs to be really viable seeing as he uses his escape tool for damage.

The reason for having a 'support' mindset isn't because its necessarily better, but because the item choices we're given to make Ezreal consistently viable don't leave much room to BE a hard carry. Once you solve your HP and mana problems, its pretty late to get a mejai's, but it also opens you up for a much stronger late game, and a much stronger TEAM game.

All imo, of course.

Morinav

04-06-2010

An interesting take on Ezreal, but I think he's completely workable as pure AP. I don't get any HP increasing items on him but tend to do ok regardless (my last game I died a lot. They had an Ashe and Ezreal that got exceedingly lucky and killed me like 4 times with their ults. Yes I know how to juke, but they'd do stupid **** like aim for someone at point blank range, miss, and hit me across the map).

He's a total wet cookie. A slow, wet cookie. You just have to keep out of everyone else's range and be really good at juking. Since his own range is so incredible, it's possible to keep him out of danger if you have good map awareness and still dish out great damage. Then again, I'm not high ELO so it may not be as easy later on, but for now it's working just fine.

Voidgolem

04-06-2010

He's best played as an AP-intensive hybrid. Lichbane makes his Q scale with AP - Thus, Rageblade stacks become useful, if you buy one.

*shrug*

Thistlemin

04-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingledot View Post
On a final note, I think given the fact that he is forced into a support role support for most games, why play him over someone else... Sivir, Soraka, Taric, Janna etc...

A) Really fun to play
B) Has another role that none of them fill: DPS/Support hybrid. With DPS being first, not secondary, and it scales. Sivir's personal DPS falls VERY short in longer games. Soraka is support primarily and is ugly. Taric is boring and does no damage. I don't like playing Janna.
Why play him over Nidalee though? For variety's sake, sure. Ezreal is different, does some things better, but mostly they fill the same role except Nidalee is more versatile for her team.

He does look very fun. I've only messed around with him once. I plan on playing him much more when he's free down the road. So EXPENSIVE!

Dragonmount

04-06-2010

Runes can really make a difference for Ezreal. A gigantic difference. MP5/Level runes are a godsend. If you're not buying a sheen early on you're making a mistake anyways. Health quints can really hold you over for early team battles.

Ezreal with mp5/level runes + sheen has few mana issues. Toss a meki/chalice in there.. and you're going to be sitting on 60mp5+ with a respectable mana pool plus the survivability from the chalice. If you're going locket I'd plug in a few AP/level runes instead of MP5.

Lichbane, Zhonyas, and elixirs while you're working on your ring should be more than enough AP. Magic number for Ezreal is 250.

Fragglerock

04-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinav View Post
An interesting take on Ezreal, but I think he's completely workable as pure AP. I don't get any HP increasing items on him but tend to do ok regardless (my last game I died a lot. They had an Ashe and Ezreal that got exceedingly lucky and killed me like 4 times with their ults. Yes I know how to juke, but they'd do stupid **** like aim for someone at point blank range, miss, and hit me across the map).

He's a total wet cookie. A slow, wet cookie. You just have to keep out of everyone else's range and be really good at juking. Since his own range is so incredible, it's possible to keep him out of danger if you have good map awareness and still dish out great damage. Then again, I'm not high ELO so it may not be as easy later on, but for now it's working just fine.

I don't see his range as being all that good... his Q has decent range, his R of course. But W and E really need to be fairly close. Close enough to get jumped/stuned in some way. And if you plan on using your E for burst dmg... you better be able to take a couple hits, unless its just the finishing move.

waxxdd

04-06-2010

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...Support/Harass

Don't say no one builds him support I always make sure to get a Lich Bane in there because it makes his Mystic Shot that much better.