I know its redundant, but here's an in-depth look at Fiddlesticks' drain build.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Desconance

06-21-2011

21 June 2011 - D35C3NT ( I may bump this in the future for updates and patches )

An advanced guide to Fiddlesticks.

Writers Notes: There’s an upcoming patch that will cause Fiddle to be buffed therefor altering my current build, I’ll make sure to update after the patch.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
I know there are plenty of Fiddlesticks guides and tutorials out there but most of them aren’t updated, I’ll be doing a summary of the Drain build with advanced tactics, items and runes.
I’m also open to new suggestions so please do post your thoughts and quote appropriately if I do make a mistake. Enjoy ~

Stats
Damage 45.95 (+2.625 / per level)
Health 390 (+80 / per level)
Mana 251 (+59 / per level)
Move Speed 310
Armor 11 (+3.5 / per level)
Spell Block 30 (+0 / per level)
Health Regen 0.92 (+0.13 / per level)
Mana Regen 1.38 (+0.13 / per level)

Skills
A little side note, if you didn’t know what the (+0.? AD/AP) meant, its a decimal value for the percentage of each AD/AP point taken 0.4 = 40% per 1 AP. 10AP = 4 damage addition to the spell. I have no idea what range is measured in.
Terrify - Strikes a target unit with fear, causing it to flee in terror for a duration.
Strikes a target enemy unit with fear, causing it to flee in terror for 1/1.5/2/2.5/3 second(s).
Cost
65/75/85/95/105 Mana
Range

Drain - Fiddlesticks saps the life force of an enemy, dealing damage while healing himself.
Drains 60/90/120/150/180 (+0.5) health as magic damage each second from target unit and gives 60/70/80/90/100% of it to Fiddlesticks.
Lasts up to 5 seconds.
Cost
80/90/100/110/120 Mana
Range

Dark Wind - A wisp of wind strikes an enemy unit and then bounces to nearby enemy units, dealing damage and silencing the victims.
Strikes an enemy target and then bounces to a nearby enemy unit. Deals 65/85/105/125/145 (+0.45) magic damage and silences for 1.2 seconds for each strike.

Can bounce up to 5/5/5/5/5 times and may strike the same target multiple times.
Cost
50/70/90/110/130 Mana
Range

Crowstorm - A murder of crows flock wildly around Fiddlesticks, dealing damage each second to all enemy units in the area.
A murder of crows flock wildly around Fiddlesticks for 5 seconds, dealing 125/225/325 (+0.4) magic damage each second to all enemy units in the area. This has a 2 second channel duration and teleports Fiddlesticks to target location.
Cost
150/200/250 Mana
Range

Dread - Nearby enemies have their Magic Resist reduced by 10.
Focus stats:
Ability power ( AP )
Cool down Reduction ( CDR )
Magic Penetration ( Magic pen or MP, the amount of reduction from someone's magic resistance, for instance if its at 30 then Dread grants a 10 MP reduction from that the hero then has 20. I would not recommend getting voidstaff, explained later on)
Spell Vamp ( Spell vamp is short for spell vampirism, which grants an extra %Life steal bonus from drain)

I’d like to start off by listing the pros and cons the build, I'll explain the pros.
DRAIN BUILD

Pros
Life steal, greatly diminishes the need to buy potions or life steal/regeneration items.
Incredible DoT.
Low cooldown great for continuous damage.
Allows you to ‘tank’ and gank.
Great for middle lane where its only 1 vs. 1.
Great push.
If played right he can be a great carry early game.

Cons
Short range
Somewhat dependent on fear,
Easily interrupted by CCs and other spells and effects.
Not so great for adjacent lanes.
Bit of a mana burn at inconvenient times.

Pro #1
The first pro doesn’t need any explaining or justification.

Pro#2
The DoT stands for damage over time. Within a small time period of 6 seconds at level 6 you can unleash up to 1200 hit point damage on a single target with Drain and Crow Storm.

Pro#3
With Ionian Boots of Lucidity and Morello’s Evil Tome = 35% CDR early-mid game within 10 minutes, you have a 91 second cool down or so on Crow Storm, 5.4 second cool down on Drain and about 9 seconds on fear and dark wind.

Pro#4
By tanking I don’t mean tanking tower dives, I mean tanking 2 players at once. Its pretty simple, all you do is break out a fear on one target and drain the other one. Further discussed later on. Ganking, well… For all builds this is pretty obvious because of Crow Storm, but the difference is being able to sustain yourself without getting downed within 5 seconds. Also discussed later on.

Pro#5
Early game with only one target in mid you can just slowly drain them even if they stay within drain for 2-3 seconds, and slowly kill your target, without losing hp.

Pro#6
The push is due to your ability to make the targets run back because of fear and drain, people are very conscious of the fear/drain combination it makes them tower hug or brush hug.

Pro#7
At level 6 you get your ultimate, by then you should have gotten at least 1 kill and the fiendish codex, you should then leave mid lane and focus on a little bit of jungle’ing getting the buffs from golem and rat, after getting as many buffs as you can try to set up a gank with team mates.

Runes:

+ Hit Point bonus
+ Magic Pen
+ Mana Regen

Spells:
Flash + Ghost
Flash + Ignite
Ignite + Ghost

Flash is great for jumping out of certain situations or even to catch up to enemies, now the only times when you should ever use flash is when you’ve miss clicked or misjudged the distance of your Crow Storm, you use flash to reposition yourself so that you’re in the middle of the target[s]. Pretty straight forward, or you can use it to jump out of sticky situations.

+

Ghost gives you a speed bonus which is also great for enemies who have movement speed bonuses and can easily outrun your Crow Storm, this allows you to run after them and keep them within the area of effect (AoE) of your ultimate. Also used to get away from sticky situations.

+

Ignite is very versatile, its great because it reduces the effects of heals and regens and damages enemies. This is great used in correlation to a drain, as it stops them from out healing you and you add a little extra damage so that when they run away from your drain they could die, if on low HP.

Any combination of the above is possible, but I recommend Flash being a requisite as it stops you from being lunch for the opposite team. You don’t really need clairvoyance as most of your team should have it already, and you want to be able to hit really hard, supporting isn’t really fiddle’s strong point but his fear can be game breaking when used at the appropriate time.

Lv1-5
Skill leveling: Level 1: Drain, Level 2: Fear, Level 3: Drain, Level 4: Fear, Level 5 Drain,

Starting items:

1 Amplifying tome
1 Health Potion
At level 4 you may have enough to get a fiendish codex Cost: 420-1245

A lot of people like to start off the game with Meki’s pendant, most of which don’t have mana regeneration runes. You shouldn’t start off with it because, you shouldn’t be spamming it on creeps to begin with, unless of course you are on low hp. Amplifying tome means your drains hit harder and therefor are better for fending off enemies. People are very conscious of Fiddle’s abilities, fear and drain range. So they tend to scurry off if you start walking in their direction. Now this can be a great tool to push your opponents because you stop them from getting last hits. In any case you should never spam any of your abilities, because your mana will drain quite fast. During this time you should never go back to the nexus unless you’re out of mana and out of hp. But that shouldn’t be the case, as the only time you will be using mana is if the enemy champion strays within your range and you go for a fear/drain combination this forces them back. In the case that you are on low HP and Mana and should decide to return to the nexus, you should immediately purchase a fiendish codex. Getting ready to purchase your Morello’s Evil Tome. Always keep a steady watch on the adjacent lanes to make sure that there are always 2 champions in both, this is to prevent a gank. In the case of a 2 man gank you can easily take both of them at level 4. Fear one target and then drain the other, retreat behind your creep lines and slowly pull them towards your tower.

In the event that a Singed, Blitz, Lee Sin, Malphite, Alistar or any champion that can pull or push you is on the receiving end of your attacks, you should only drain for the duration of the fear, as draining leaves you very vulnerable but the constant hp regen from the life steal should keep you alive long enough for you to be able to recover and run to your tower, also you never want to pick a lane which has mordekaiser in it, he is easily the greatest counter for fiddlesticks as his shield doesn’t provide hp when you drain it, leaving you extremely vulnerable, so you always have to avoid him. In the event that they pick champions that can dispel your fear that could mean certain doom for your team, but the way to get around this is to try and be the last person to pick your champion so they can’t choose counters for you.

By level 2 you can easily get a kill, because people tend to use their mana to push you off and get last hits, but thats your greatest advantage, when they’re on low mana and you’re on full, they are so very squishy and you can just run in and fear then drain them.

At level 4 your team should be able to kill dragon very easily, so just do that and its an instant bonus 190 gold, you should always be very weary of Sight Wards in the vicinity as opposing teams like to ***** brush with wards so they can gank you if you’re killing dragon. For dragon your tank should initiate and you should just spam drain, but try to have some intervals between your drain casts as that can burn mana, and again you want to save as much as possible for possible ganks.

Always be ready for a ping from an ally or to ping.

Lv6-10
Items to be purchased after your first kill:
- Morello’s evil Tome, requires ( Blasting Wand and Fiendish Codex ) Costs: 245 - 2350 Gold.
Ionian Boots of Lucidity or Sorcery shoes ( Boots of speed ) Costs: 700-1050 gold
- Hex Tech Revolver Cost: 330-765
Needlessly Large Rod Cost: 1600
Some hp pots.

Priorities are: Boots of speed and Tome. Hex tech and Rod can be attained at level 8-10.

Skill leveling Level 6: Crow Storm, Level 7: Drain, Level 8 Dark Wind, Level 9: Drain, Level 10: Fear

At level 6, you should have at least Morello’s Evil Tome and boots of speed. At least. If you don’t have enough gold I recommend jungle’ing some buffs with a teammate and getting gold in the process.

Now, with your Ionian boots and evil tome you have a 91 or so second cool down on Crow Storm making it much much more feasible to use, you cut off a minute from its CD time which is invaluable in team situations where you can keep setting up ganks. You will be a carry in this game, as people will be pinging the hell out of you to hide in some brush and cast your ulti and gank the hell out of a full team. With Crow Storm its very easy to score a double, even triple or pentakill if you position it perfectly. Now the way to gank with Crow Storm is never to cast fear while they’re in your AoE. If you’re going for a 1v1 then what you want to do is cast use a hp potion first (this increase the health return and regen from drain and helps keep you alive) Dark Wind for the silence and then you cast your ulti, ignite (if you have it) then fear and drain, pretty simple follow those steps and a kill is guaranteed.

A little side note: I cannot stress enough how vigilant you have to be about the placement and displacement of enemy champions. I’ll constantly be drilling this into your skull as you cannot afford to feed in ranked matches. So you always have to watch your map at every second for pings, your chat and listen intently to the chatter of your team mates over skype.
Another important thing you should note is: RUNNING AWAY FROM ENEMIES WHILE YOU’RE LOW WILL KILL YOU. You should never back down from a fight, your drains, potions and fears make you nearly impervious to every 2v1-3v1. You should also never initiate, as CCs can interrupt your ulti’s charge and effectively cause a shift in target to you and you die. You always want to be hiding behind a bush or a tower. Hiding behind towers is very easy and effective, as enemies that are pushing you, can’t see what you’re channeling behind the tower, so you position yourself so that they can’t see you standing behind the tower, this works in a 2v1. It’ll be very hard for them to see your Drain’s spell mid-flight, so you can just do a little drain, use a potion then immediately cast your ulti, making sure to cast it behind them. Drain away and you’ve just got yourself a double kill. Because you’ve used a health potion, you have the Hextech revolver and you use your fear, you can easily tank 2 champions no matter what they are. You won’t lose a single drop of health.
Again, try to set up ganks but never initiate, at level 10 you can easily solo dragon, golem and rat. But at level 10 your team should be readying up to take down baron, being weary ofcourse of wards and enemies. The best time for you to ever go for baron or dragon is when 2 or more enemy champions have been killed.

Lv11-18

Skill leveling: Level 11: Drain, Level 12: Crow Storm, Level 13: Dark Wind, Level 14: Dark Wind, level 15: Dark wind, Level 16: Dark wind, Level 17: Dark wind, Level 18: Crow Storm.

Item list:
- Rabadon’s Deathcap 1140 - 3600
- Morello’s Evil Tome
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity
- Abyssal Scepter Cost: 1050-2650
Sell Hextech for Aegis of the Legion OR get a Will of the Ancients. Cost: 750 - 1925 / 465-1665.
HEALTH POTIONS or Sight Wards, you may want to get an oracle, you’ll have the money so why not?!

Another option suggested by Rauron:

- Sorcery shoes
- Force of Nature
- Will of the Ancients
- Deathfire Grasp
- Spirit Visage
- Zhonya's Hourglass.
( People say to get Archangel’s staff but I find it really unnecessary as at 1500 mana you only get about a 9 AP boost, so I wouldn't’ recommend it.)

Actually, this is kind of unnecessary as a fully fed Fiddlesticks should cause an instant surrender by level 10. If you haven’t won the game by level 11-14 then you’re obviously doing something wrong.

BUT.. Anywhoo.

From level 11 onwards, its pretty straight forward, you should have destroyed all enemy outer turrets and begin advancing onto their main turrets. Also remembering to clear dragon, jungle and accumulate buffs very often. Very important that you’re jungle’ing late game, keeping enemies out of the jungle, away from buffs, baron and dragon. Jungle’ing also sets you up very nicely for ganks because you could be around the area waiting for a ping with rat and golem buffs. And as soon as there are only 2-3 enemy champions left you should immediately have your team engage the turrets to push back to their inhibitor turrets before they respawn. As soon as you’ve destroyed their inhibitors they should just surrender. If not then you just continue to push until you’ve destroyed the nexus.

I HOPE MY GUIDE HAS BEEN HELPFUL TO YOU FIDDLESTICKS PLAYERS ! And I hope this will encourage more people to play as fiddlesticks. Especially after the Dark Wind nerf.

Thanks for reading ~ It’s been a long 2864 words, but I type at a rate of 109 Words per minute with 93% accuracy. So it took me about 26-30 minutes to write this. Hope it wasn’t too rushed.

UPDATE:

Drain
- Range increased to 475 to 450
- Heal is no longer reduced if the damage is shielded
- Dark Wind damage increased to 65/90/115/140/165 from 65/85/105/125/145
- Crowstorm
• Ability power ratio increased to .45 from .4
• Channel duration reduced to 1.5 seconds from 2

The buff on drain means that Morde is less of a problem, and any such characters.

Rauron

06-21-2011

Only an Abyssal for MPen? You're really not making as much use of his passive with that; Sorc Boots are more useful. Also, DFG gives him CDR, mana/5, and added burst, which is nice considering his kit. He's really great for taking out a single target, then staying back to do sustained CC and damage with Q and E. If you're trying to stick around with heavy use of his W, then I'm not sure why your build is so squishy. Using this build WILL get you killed quickly and easily, unless you're staying very far back, in which case it's not a drain build. Also, no Spirit Visage?

If you want to run Durastix (tanky fiddle), then you definitely need an hourglass, a FoN, and a WotA. BV is essential for shrugging off the enemy team's early CC, with deathcap and sorc boots rounding you off. Throw in an abyssal and the world bows before you. THEN you can be the kind of Fiddle that stands still and drains.

Burncroft

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by D35C3NT View Post
you never want to pick a lane which has mordekaiser in it, he is easily the greatest counter for fiddlesticks as his shield doesn’t provide hp when you drain it, leaving you extremely vulnerable, so you always have to avoid him
Doesn't a silence shut down his passive completely?

Desconance

06-21-2011

Nah it doesn't, it isn't a spell. It's a passive. So, while you're trying to drain him his shield will keep absorbing damage as he pops his Q/W spells to replenish his shield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
Only an Abyssal for MPen? You're really not making as much use of his passive with that; Sorc Boots are more useful. Also, DFG gives him CDR, mana/5, and added burst, which is nice considering his kit. He's really great for taking out a single target, then staying back to do sustained CC and damage with Q and E. If you're trying to stick around with heavy use of his W, then I'm not sure why your build is so squishy. Using this build WILL get you killed quickly and easily, unless you're staying very far back, in which case it's not a drain build. Also, no Spirit Visage?

If you want to run Durastix (tanky fiddle), then you definitely need an hourglass, a FoN, and a WotA. BV is essential for shrugging off the enemy team's early CC, with deathcap and sorc boots rounding you off. Throw in an abyssal and the world bows before you. THEN you can be the kind of Fiddle that stands still and drains.
I build differently for particular games, with different needs. I do like to get Hourglass and FoN. Magic Pen runes should take care of most your Mpen needs. But yeah I could also add that in as another sidenote for Durastix.

Eerrman

06-21-2011

Morde is easy prey to a well-timed drain.

Damage him, while you get some health back.(shield isn't maintainable early)

Morde in lane just doesn't give me problems, as I put most of my points into drain.

Vlyigi

06-21-2011

Fiddle Drain has been buffed to a range of 475. Along with 2 others.

Finally, a buff for the nerfed fiddle.

Desconance

06-21-2011

Mid to late Game; Morde can be a bit of a bother because he can sustain his shield quite efficiently, so thats where he's a bit of a worry. But early game definently he's not as much of a threat because his shield gets like what 100-200 Damage absorption? So thats easily drained, I prefer mid lane so, I don't normally see Morde that often. Moving out to jungle in mid-late ready to gank.

Currently have the RADS error so I can't get in to check out fiddle. D: But yeah the error should clear soon and I'll be back in no time.

Rauron

06-22-2011

Quote:
you never want to pick a lane which has mordekaiser in it, he is easily the greatest counter for fiddlesticks as his shield doesn’t provide hp when you drain it, leaving you extremely vulnerable, so you always have to avoid him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
Lifesteal and spell vamp are no longer reduced if the damage done is shielded
I think this is now addressed. If not, remember that E spam keeps you a safe distance away while getting good harass, and that all of his spells cost him precious health.

Quote:
Magic Pen runes should take care of most your Mpen needs.
They're nice, but they're not enough, unless you're running MPen marks, quints, and glyphs maybe.

I dunno, reliance on Drain has never seemed to work, neither for me nor for other Fiddle's against whom I've played. His CC and MPen are a better focus, which then translates into some fun burst and poke. Plus, the fact that you can legitimately grab an early Haunting Guise synergizes really well with his early sustainability.