Who to buy...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brodazzler

06-21-2011

I've been playin this game pretty casually for about a month now(level 12) and feel I only recently started to get the hang of how it works. This week's free champs don't really appeal to me and I'll hit that 3150 mark tomorrow or Thursday for IP and I've been thinking about who I should buy next.

The only hero I have bought so far is Olaf, I lane with him and mainly focus on health and AD, I normally do very well this way. I've also done pretty good with Swain(AP), Morde(APish) and Irelia(both AD and AP) but other than them I've never really gotten into any champs, aside from Annie but I feel that was just beginner's luck. I'd buy Morde but I had no fun face rolling all over and feeling invincible, and I'd like to save for either Irelia or Swain but fear I don't have the attention span to keep 'maining' as Olaf and will probably end up buying Irelia with Riot points when I have more time to play. I've been thinking about giving tankin a try but see so many mixed reviews on just about every tank I don't even know what to think. Can anyone help me out?

LostMyMind

06-21-2011

if you're bored with olaf, you could try to buy one of the 450 champs.. so you wont feel too bad if you happen to not like your new purchase.
I'd suggest nunu or master yi, because you seem to prefer playing melee champs. Perhaps one of them keeps you entertained enough to save up the 6300.

xSeCKSx

06-21-2011

Yeah, don't be overly eager to spend. I still have regrets for one of my 3150 purchases as the champ didn't fit my usual playstyle and that ip would have helped me finish my tier 3 runes faster. Unless you're really eager to play a champ that you enjoyed that just dropped out of free play rotation, give yourself some time to sit on the ip as you may end up discovering a champ in the next free play rotation you'll want to keep.

SSrikeShadow

06-21-2011

I agree with going w/a 450 champ or two. Yi, Ashe and Nunu are all fun. Ashe and Nunu are both used by high ranking players regularly. Given that you used Olaf, you'd do better with Nunu, but it wouldn't hurt to learn the ranged play style.

I recommend you spend some on runes. They really can make a difference if you focus on increasing one ability or another - e.g. speed or health,

Oozra

06-21-2011

try buying singed . go with a mix of ap and tankiness . Pretty fun hero and cheap too if i recall correctly .

Zeikei

06-21-2011

If you ever decide to go a bit beyond casual play and get really into it, you'll definitely want runes after level 20, the first set I'd get is a jungling set for Olaf, since you play him already and jungling is not only an important role, but you play in a different (perhaps more exciting) way for most of the game. But on to your question... I personally like Mundo, he is kind of an tanky DPS like Olaf some Irelia's. Mundo is also only 1350 (why I recommend him a lot). Alistar is always a good pick as a tank. Blitzcrank has a grab that IMO is one of the funnest skills in the game but he is 6300, and is played as a tank/off-tank usually... Xin Zhao is a favorite for a lot, and is one of those tanky DPS/off-tank types. There are plenty of good champions out there, but I seriously recommend trying them when free, because I've regretted buying multiple champs with IP before.

On a seperate note... Yorick is being released, so you can buy RP and get the bundle (no guarantees on him though)

Dragoonleader

06-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oozra View Post
try buying singed . go with a mix of ap and tankiness . Pretty fun hero and cheap too if i recall correctly .
singed is probably one of the most enjoyable champions in the game. Get a rylai's scepter and some tank items, then laugh as the enemies attempt to kill you. He's very good at juking, he's a decent tank, a great initiator, an amazing farmer, and he's pretty good at killing too. He kites like a boss with poison and rylai.

I'm not sure on his price anymore. Hard to remember when you have roughly 60 champs. But as Oozra said, i believe he's cheap.

Everspace

06-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoonleader View Post
singed is probably one of the most enjoyable champions in the game. Get a rylai's scepter and some tank items, then laugh as the enemies attempt to kill you. He's very good at juking, he's a decent tank, a great initiator, an amazing farmer, and he's pretty good at killing too. He kites like a boss with poison and rylai.

I'm not sure on his price anymore. Hard to remember when you have roughly 60 champs. But as Oozra said, i believe he's cheap.
RoA and boots3 first foo! FoN and Rylai's are just GRAAAAAAAAVY.

Jungling olaf is a very good idea.

OR just wait for more champs to come around @_@

WoLF42

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2011

If it's not broken, don't fix it
If you enjoy playing Olaf, I recommend that you save IP. If you're getting bored of Olaf, it would be very wise to try a free champion for a while. If and only if you are sure you want to purchase that champ, go for it.
It is also good to buy a cheap/less used champion, because chances are, if you pick a common hero, someone else might just click the champion before you.
Cheap ones are good because they are often simple to play, and when played well, can do just as well or better than 1350/3150 IP champions. And they allow you to save up for a more substantial (expensive) champion.

Quite simply, save money until you're sure.

Narvuntien

06-22-2011

Play free champions each week...

I found that for a long time I could find at least one new champ a week that I liked, I would play them all week to know if I really wanted to own them.

Then saved IP for them. Whille of course searching for the next champion to get.

Swain was my First 6300 Ip champion.. and he was definately worth it.