[GUIDE] Weak-link Soraka

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

unjugon

04-05-2010

Weak-link Soraka

Introduction

This is an alternative, extreme build to make Soraka a bit more fun -and hated. It is designed to maximize the potential of your allies by playing a pure –PURE- support. This means you won´t be last hitting creeps if a teammate is nearby. It means you will not be running around casting starfalls. It also means your teammates should know about what you are doing: you plan to group together some time in mid-game and push. That you plan to finish/decide the game by lvl 14-16. That they will benefit by getting a Spirit Visage somewhere in their inventory.

I know full well this is considered the nooby way to play Soraka. I have played over 160 games her, 90% of them in solo queue –I am like 100 W / 65 L-, and just recently started playing this way. It sucks when you die in 2 hits, but your team has to play around you, all moving together, etc. I think this build has the best potential if you are with a good team.

Skill order

1. Astral Blessing
2. Infuse
3. Astral Blessing
4. Infuse
5. Astral Blessing
6. Wish
7. Astral Blessing
8. Infuse
9. Astral Blessing
10. Infuse
11. Wish
12. Infuse
13. Starcall
14. Starcall
15. Starcall
16. Wish
17. Starcall
18. Starcall

Summoner spells

Flash: Opponents WILL try to kill you, and you die FAST.
Fortify: Helps the team by keeping map control early-mid game and better allows for mid-game pushing.

Runes

Seals: Health/level –others can go here
Marks: Mana/level (we are not getting mana items, and AP or CDR here are pretty weak)
Glyphs: Straight cooldown reduction (more efficient than AP, and we are not getting much CDR in items)
Quintessences: Straight AP. (more efficient than CDR)

Masteries

3/6/21
Offense tree: AP
Defense tree: +6 armor/magic resist
Utility tree: +XP, Greed, meditation, improved flash.

Items

• Amplifying Tome
  • Kage´s Pick + Boots of mobility or basic boots.
  • Kage´s Pick (this can go before the boots). Finish boots if you haven´t.
  • Blasting Wand
  • Blasting Wand
  • Blasting Wand / Elixir of Brilliance.
  • Sell Kage´s Pick for 3rd Blasting Wand or an Elixir of Brilliance
  • Zhonya´s –game should have been over before that

- Smart enemies will know what´s up when they see the Amplifying Tome first, and will target you first. If you are uncomfortable with this fact and want to play it a bit safer, start with a Doran´s Ring.
- Notice that all are cheap items. You won´t be getting much gold, or even assists. If you plan on winning with this, the game should end around the time you get the 3rd Blasting Wand.
- That´s also why you get the 2 Kage´s Pick. It´s cool, if you are not killing the minions, another one in your team is.
- You should end the game with 200-250 AP, enough to make enemies hate you with a passion.
- Make no mistake, Boots of Mobility are essential here. You have to be there where your teammate needs you.

Closing thoughts

This is a pure support Soraka. It is not for everyone. You know how it goes: a few teammates will give you props for winning the game, and most will say how much you suck in a losing game. This is Soraka living on the edge. You will be focused, but hey your AP boosts healing: you should still be able to make it out alive unless the team is badly positioned. Or in other words: if you die, your team should still be winning the battle. Extremely careful positioning is a must with this build, but it is such a joy knowing that the enemies KNOW that you are in the backstage saving teammates left and right.

I almost forgot, do not underestimate your infuse nuke as you level it and get AP!

PS: do not follow if you dislike winning games with scores like 1-5-3

Khranz

04-05-2010

How is this more "support" than any standard AP stacking Soraka? You need a section talking about how to play with this build.

Personally, if there's no Innervating Locket, it ain't no support Soraka.

unjugon

04-05-2010

This is more support because it will actually save teammates, never steal a minion, no stats in items that only help you, etc.

If you have Locket when mid-game starts, you have maybe...lvl 1 boots? You might not be in range to cast Astral blessing.

OctopusDropkick

04-05-2010

The problem with playing AP Soraka without durability is the same reason why monks in Guild Wars don't skimp on maximizing health. You need a lot of buffer health to deal with spikes, specially since you may be primary target. You want to be able to withstand as much as you can before you're forced to use your team wide WISH.

unjugon

04-05-2010

Agree on a sense, Octopus. I get HP items on my main Soraka build, which acts as bait by running around and casting starcall aggresively. I think this build I propose here works, but you have to get in the mindset of playing extremely careful.

Eppa

04-05-2010

I think it needs more hp. If you want to be AP soraka get a RoA.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

04-05-2010

generally speaking, taking at LEAST one level of starcall is a great idea (from my experience at least). I mean, I understand the thought behind this... I just don't think it's a good way to play Soraka. You're going to be VERY weak in team fights for the entirety of the early game (borderline worthless would be more accurate imo) and you're sacrificing Soraka's STRONG early game. Also, the lack of spirit visage in a support build confuses me.

GENERAL NUTBAKED

04-05-2010

mejais, 1 rank of starfall (for assists), and a rod of ages while picking clairvoyance over fortify, which is god awful if you dont have the defense mastery (and clairvoyance has a 55 sec cd) will probably net you greater results.

plus, that playstyle of soraka seems non involved and super boring.

Bellicus

04-05-2010

so ur gonna have boots of mobility, elixer of brilliace and a zhonya's ring at the end?

i can build that in 25min. the game wont be over.

Mella Kara

04-05-2010

This is basically how I build my Soraka :P I always get Boots of Mobility, and just straight stack AP. For the simple reason that a team wide 1000+ heal is pretty frickin sweet, you don't even need to be remotely near the fight to save the day.

More importantly however, is the fact that whoever you are laning with early on suddenly becomes a beast. Near infinite mana and health is rather amazing, especially on champs like Ezreal (me and my partner do very well with this combo). Also in the oh so amazingly rare occasion that your team lives after a team fight, instead of running back to the base to heal (like most frantic players will do) you can heal them and ensure the final push.

Full support builds are no where near boring in my opinion. You have to react just as fast as the damage dealers, and make judgement calls on who to heal, who to silence, etc. Soraka is loads of fun.

Personally though, I would get infuse before astral if you're on an arranged and know your partner won't be sucking. It allows them to start harassing heavily right away.