New Front End, first impressions and feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

eXes

07-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Beans View Post
Would also like to see feedback on the champion browser/select and how it can be improved and what you liked.

Just for you baby: I like it very much now, just there are too many categories, sure you can play Sion on Ability power, but if you search him you will look under tank im sure. That works for most champions. So less classes to pick of would make it easer, especially when we get a lot of them. Also a search bar like we have now in the invite function, where you can type for example tryn and it shows you Tryndameres names and you can pick him that way would be awesome.

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

07-13-2009
3 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXes View Post
Also a search bar like we have now in the invite function, where you can type for example tryn and it shows you Tryndameres names and you can pick him that way would be awesome.
That is there =p Right at the upper left of champion selection. You can type champion names or tags into it.

eXes

07-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Beans View Post
That is there =p Right at the upper left of champion selection. You can type champion names or tags into it.

/slaps eXes around a bit with a large armor*****. Yeah i already thought that it might be there, but i did not try it so i wasn't sure . Ok that is great dude, well done there. If you could get the runes to load faster i would be very happy with the new picking chain.

Edwy

The Council

07-13-2009

I really like the look of the new front end, the biggest issue to me is that sometimes it can be really slow, such as switching to different rune pages and the overall slowness factor.

I also agree that there are way too many categories for the champions. I really liked the small icon tab, but I wish that when you looked at the small icons, you could divide it up between the tanks/dps/casters which would make it much easier to find who your looking for.

Rev

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

I just thought of another couple glitches I saw in the interface over the weekend. Now I wish I'd taken screenshots.

On saturday, in the practice game setup screen in the area where it shown the summoners/bots on each team, it seemed to be trying to display some kind of stats on the right side of each summoner/bot box. "W", "L", and "LVL". Wins, Losses, and Level? Whatever they were, they would only show up for half of the boxes and then they'd all read the same stats. W:8 L:3 LVL:0

On Sunday, post matchmaking system addition, I had just played a regular 5V5 game. In the post-game wrap-up, I could only see one of my opponent's item sets. My team mates in vent said they could see the items of all 5 opponents. This problem was not persistant, just happened the once.

Berler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

IMO the rune system needs a lot of work. It's a complete pain to move around runes and figure out what does what. Also it needs a lot more help/tooltips to tell you how the system works. Additionally the stats displayed on the right hand side of the screen didn't seem to always add up correctly to what I placed in my rune book (often off by .01 or just plain counting incorrectly if you place two of the same rune on the page).

The whole thing of combining runes seemed a little silly. Often times after combining you would get a rune that seemed to have completely different stats compared to what the starting two were. This needs to be greatly improved to be more intuitive and make the combining actually make sense and be predictible.

I think that the entire rune system would be much much much better if they gave relatively large bonuses to one stat while also reducing another stat. for example: a single rune with +20 hp, +1 hp regen, -35 mp (this +0.03 to something just seems too negligible to matter at all). I personally think that in order to fully balance the runes for experienced players and newbies, they should always basically give you tradeoffs, with the down sides generally being higher in raw value, although the runes would still be powerful if you knew what you were doing to max out specific stats.

Another thing that could greatly improve the rune system would be having rune sets that give additional bonuses for having a full set (for example having 5 specific runes that individually are pretty bad, but when you have them all unlock additional stats or maybe even an activatable ability). But like I said previously, I think that all the runes should have some sort of down side, like allowing you to just trade off one kind of stat for another, or if its an activatable ability, make the ability also have some sort of weakness, like something that both increases the dmg you do to enemies and the damage you take from enemies for 5 seconds.

Cereal

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

The new interface is sweet. And I LOVE that small icons button on champion selection screen-though I'd like to set that at least for myself as default (can it remember I want the small icons?) . I don't like having to click that every time (cuz I always try to pick quickly, especially if I joined as a single, cuz I don't want someone else to pick my champion.)

Also, someone elsewhere said this, but as nice as it looks the combining animation for runes needs to go away. We're going to be combining lots of runes and it needs to be really really brief or gone. AND when I pull runes out from my bag we could reduce/remove animation time there as well.

The client still feels a little clunky, it just doesn't look that way. I am encouraged by the new interface and it is awesome-good work. Just don't stop. Keep streamlining this thing, it's slow on everyone's computer. I don't know why. I know eliminating or reducing some animations will help alot (like after you join a queue the roll up/down animation), but there's something deeper than that going on and it needs more love.

The whole game startup lobby is sweet, and with all that selecting going on the need for a ready button has gone away.

micha

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

Quote:
The new interface is sweet. And I LOVE that small icons button on champion selection screen-though I'd like to set that at least for myself as default (can it remember I want the small icons?) . I don't like having to click that every time (cuz I always try to pick quickly, especially if I joined as a single, cuz I don't want someone else to pick my champion.)
Exactly, THIS!

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

07-13-2009
4 of 10 Riot Posts

Yeah I will get saving of small icon settings in. not for this weekend though but hopefully the one after =)

Volibar

Senior Product Manager

Follow Volibar on Twitter

07-13-2009
5 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Doitch View Post
It is my opinion that the new client only looks better and does not respond better aside from the champion selection changes. I would like it to be more intuitive, more responsive and have a chat system that works to todays standards.
So we've actually gone through and changed the flow of almost everything in the client. Sometimes those changes aren't as noticeable as others, but we did look through everything, as our goal was to make the experience much more intuitive also.

It would help if you could list out specifics on where you think this falls down. Be specific if you can.