[Guide] Dorkbrains' Warwick Guide

123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dorkbrains

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zers View Post
there is no point of dodge runes if you not going into nimbleness.... stack more attck speed
this is both true and not true.

i'm a melee character, so dodge is really nice, sure i might only have a little bit of it, but it's more than the nothing i had before! i HAVE considered getting HP/lvl or mana regen/lvl but i just don't see the extra bonuses. i'd say maybe hell go for it with the mana/lvl runes on TT but other than that. dodge is amazing for any melee character imo.

Cabtn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2010

Solid guide, but it just seems to be like a copy of Wazzabi's guide with some slightly different rune preference. Don't mean to be rude or anything still solid. Just seems too similar to Wazzabi's.

dorkbrains

04-22-2010

lmao yea. it really is very similar to wazzabis since we both really have the exact same style of jungling and playing the animal that is warwick and im sorry if it didn't help you more, i did this moreso to get my name out there as one of the warwick players who is willing to help people if they want it. but yes, wazzabi and i have talked a lot about warwick together and that's probably why they are similar.

Cabtn

04-22-2010

No need to be sorry bud, great guide. I got some stuff out of it. I main WW as well so i was just giving my 2 cents. Rune the same runes a Wazzabi but a lil more armor pen, because i occasionally play other champs and i like the damage boost. Hope to see you in the jungle some time.

JarL

Recruiter

04-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkbrains View Post
The armor pen is unnecessary as a jungle warwick to be honest. it's actually something Wazzabi and I talked about together many times and also something i've tested out many times. Since i run Marks/Glyphs as attack speed. im therefore attacking faster and hence dealing more damage making the armor pen negligible. i've also timed both junglewicks, and the attack speed wick was faster than the ArP wick. and finally if you are depending on damage later in the game as warwick, you're either 1. not doing your job as a warwick or 2. you don't have a carry.

as a warwick player your main focus is to get that 1 person on the enemy team insta-gibbed (normally the carry/healer) for this...all you need is a madreds bloodrazor and maybe a wits end if you really want one. you're not really supposed to be autoattacking anyone to the point where armor pen is playing such a huge role. and also...unless you are going last whisper first or something of that sort with warwick, the armor pen runes are going to ultimately be completely worthless. your runes as a warwick are for optimal jungling they are not for late game fights and even so, when you get to late game that 29 armor pen you get from runes isn't going to help you as much as you think it will. im not saying that the attack speed most definitely will...but the faster you're attacking, the faster you're procing your passive, and also the more damage you are dealing...since madreds bloodrazor deals magic damage not physical (ie. not affected by armor pen)

=== kinda a summary ===

i guess the easiest way to sum this all up is...if you think you need armor pen it's because the enemy team is stacking armor, which 29 armor pen isn't going to help out with

and besideds. if they are actually stacking armor, you're raping them with magic damage via bloodrazor, and you really aren't the sustained damage dealer...you're the clean up crew and carry insta-gibber.

It is not because they are stacking armor, it is because each point of ArP is worth more than the last point. Check your damage break down sometime, your phys dmg is far greater than your magic damage. Also, bloodrazor is easily countered with even a small amount of MR since WW obviously gets 0 mpen. Bloodrazor is a nice item, but not the end-all-be-all that you are making it out to be.

You also fail to understand the ArP cap on blue/red rune. There is NO reason not to use full red ArP runes + 6 from masteries because it reduces them both to zero. Your jungling is NOT 100% efficient until you reach 24 ArP. Beyond that you can use yellow/blues/quints for whatever attack speed that you want. But honestly, attack speed is a terrible stat to stack for WW beyond bloodrazor, last whisper, and a 3rd item if necessary.

More importantly, focus on the mid/end game and not the first 5 minutes of jungling (trivial with either setup). More ArP is more damage for this all important gib that you are talking about. And realisticly, a good team, will focus you the moment that you ult in, meaning that 2.0 attack speed is useless.

Edit: I can't believe you actually said that madreds razor isn't effected by ArP.... dur dur dur. Of course it isn't, but guess what it is affected by - MR! Which you will never mitigate and a simple banshees veil all but nerfs your bloodrazor damage. End game you need to focus on phys dmg through ArP runes and a last whisper.

Thistlemin

04-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkbrains View Post
I actually run the exact same thing in a twisted treeline match. The smite is almost 100% needed in any 3v3 game so it can't hurt to have that and then flash is so nice because of the same reasons it has in 5v5. I do make sure to get max mana regen from the 13 points that i put into utility since there is no blue buff on TT which really shuts warwick down a lot but it's not really anything you can't handle. I also traded out my attack speed glphs for mana regen/level glyphs for the same mana issue. I put the attack speed quints on as well for TT.

The starting items i use in TT vary. If my team wants to lvl 1 fight. I get a red pot, 2 HP pots, and 1 sight ward. If not. I get a long sword and go jungle. Clearing the top left/right camp first. then going down to the minicamp on my side of lizard and then kill lizard. Obviously wards are a big deal in this map so unlike 5v5 make sure you get help when going for lizard.
Since I posted I have switched back to Smite/Exhaust. Both are simply too useful not to have. I don't run need help escaping as much as I do shutting down a melee champ or slowing/blinding them for a duration hence I favor Exhaust over Flash. Especially for the longish CD on Flash. I run 14/0/16 and have been doing pretty well, winning around 70% of my matches solo queuing TT with WW.

The single most thing that determines my wins or losses is how intelligently my team addresses the age old question "To team fight at Lizard at 1 or Not to". It seems many folks are stuck in the frame of mind that you must do so every single game no matter how much at a disadvantage you are Composition wize versus your enemy. I personally dislike doing so and rarely find it worthwhile with Warwick.

I understand this usually means forfeiting the first Lizard buff, but I overcome that by not running around wasting time on the map trying to gank and losing level advantage. I get straight to jungling.

Oh and the other most vital thing is in Warwick vs Warwick fights or jungler vs jungler mirrors the one who dies first up top if early on, the snowballing effect is tremendous. Once death occurs for one, the other will sweep all of the exp and buffs out of the top jungle and leave it empty when the other returns, forcing them to lane or dawdle around being useless for a while. At that point its usually all she wrote if teams are equally skilled.

Thistlemin

04-22-2010

Oh and btw I think there are better runes out there than Mana regen since taking trips back to base is so convenient and often you'll have the map cleared of all jungling spots it really has no effect on your leveling/farming if you pill back. Often its the safer thing to do rather than overextend yourself or float out there alone on the map.

Thistlemin

04-22-2010

On TT I run +29 Armor Pen (Red's & Quints), +13% Attack Speed Runes (Yellow's & Blue's). There's two different discussions for buils for WW of course, one for SR and the other for TT.

There is a difference between your role, and also the pill back distance on the small map. It's more important to be a damage dealing, anti-tank, carry as well as his normal solo focus eliminator.

My build revolves around getting 3 items usually ASAP, Madred's, Rank 1 Boots, BF Sword. After that I go by the game. This seems to be working great for me.

I will also note that Wazzabi offered keen advice. It is amazing how often I am depicted by others as being completely worthless, playing horribly etc. I've been dodged often, but not because I play Warwick, but because some perceive me to play Warwick poorly. I recently queued up with someone on my team who I had played with a few days prior, and that person was incredibly rude. The player whines to the other in our queue at Champ Select and tells him how awful I am as Warwick, then dodges. I get requeued and what do you know? I find myself playing a Warwick mirror match against said person (which I found interesting because said player hadn't previously played as Warwick that I had seen).

I go on to kill him before level 4 in the top jungle. I snowball massively and finish 12/0/2, killed him and his teammates equally multiple times over, I didn't just pick on this player. I never said a bad word either during the game one way or the other. In fact I didn't talk in ALL chat once other to say GG at the end. I had said player 5 or 6 levels below me who finished 0/6/x if I remember correctly.

The strange thing is, people's perceptions are so biased. The next time we encounter one another the person will probably still curse me out and tell everyone how awful I am. That's how much some folks misunderstand this game. It's uncanny to me. I must be too old. I figure that has to be related.

Sheriff

Recruiter

04-22-2010

Nice guide from a quality Warwick player. +1'd.

dorkbrains

04-23-2010

JarL, I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you over this at all. You act like the 29 armor pen from runes is the most necessary thing in the game and you say that I'm wrong about getting attack speed because late game it's not going to help me, i really don't understand your logic AT ALL. In the late game, Warwick really has one job, stun the carry so your team can nuke the **** out of him, whether you're penetrating that carries armor or you're doing a little bit less damage because they have magic resist doesn't matter...IT'S A 2 SECOND STUN THAT DEALS MASSIVE DAMAGE AND ALLOWS THE TEAM TO NUKE THE **** OUT OF HIM!!!! That's all it comes down to. Again, get rid of your "numbers" that you think prove everything and go test it in a game as I HAVE. I have armor pen marks and quints and I've done both jungling patterns, the attack speed is faster, and the attack speed helps just as much late game as the armor pen does, a guarantee it and you know what, it even helps more, because if your enemy gets 1 armor item, YOU JUST WASTED RUNE SLOTS!!! What item are they going to get to slow my attack speed? Quit being so **** stubborn, if you sincerely think that I'm wrong, make your own guide.

123456 ... 9