Experienced WoW player LF quick tips.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bol 1dA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-24-2011

Multi glad, top 10 WoW player here and lately I've switched over from WoW due to the current state of the game and was wondering if some high experienced guys could help me out here.

- What would you consider the best of each class? Best tank, ranged, melee, spell, etc. What do you think the best class is overall?

- I'm assuming you buy items that create stronger ones? At least most of the time...?

- Also most of my spells have a circle around them, does that mean it affects everyone in that radius? For example, heal? Thank you in advance, will check replies tomorrow.

LegendaryHobos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-24-2011

Best tank- Twitch, Best ranged- Twitch, Best Melee- Twitch, Best Spell- Twitch, Best Class- Twitch.
You'll learn really quickly, there is no "best", most classes fit these roles in different useful ways.

Most basic items (items without any special effect), if not all, can be built into something larger. Its mainly up to you to know which basic items you should build first and what to build that basic item into.

The circle is the range, if you go to cast the spell and you see another circle that follows your mouse, that is a AoE effect skill.

ComradeHX

08-24-2011

^Don't believe in twitch.

Best tank, currently(after multiple shen nerfs), is leona imo.
Best ranged is corki, or ashe if one prefers cheap champions with more utility than damage(ashe has nothing that really increase her dps, but can slow/pop spell shields very easily and have a map-range stun).

Usually, whatever you feel right playing as is the best, for you.

In pubs, tanky dps(all 5 members of the team) wins.

Hiclic

08-24-2011

Welcome to the bottom of LoL! Very little of the skills you've learned in WoW apply here. This game requires serious memorization that needs to be translated into muscle memory.

You're going to want to find some basic information on laning, creep flow and how last hitting ties into it. Then work on memorizing every champion, with specific focus on range. This is critical to understanding zoning. You will need to pick up some Mighty Game Winnin' Map Awareness--this is a decent place to work on warding and consumable management in early game.

That's a decent starting 'block' of knowledge. I'd suggest you grab the cheap champions with IP in each category, or buy the starter pack for a decent spread. Just because they're cheap doesn't make them bad. Plenty of highly popular and ranked champions come from the beginners price points.

For guides I'd suggest Solomid. All guide sites suffer from either poor or outdated builds. LoL Wiki is nice for gleaning specific stats of champs/items.

NotProEnough

08-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinnlol View Post
Multi glad, top 10 WoW player here and lately I've switched over from WoW due to the current state of the game and was wondering if some high experienced guys could help me out here.

- What would you consider the best of each class? Best tank, ranged, melee, spell, etc. What do you think the best class is overall?

- I'm assuming you buy items that create stronger ones? At least most of the time...?

- Also most of my spells have a circle around them, does that mean it affects everyone in that radius? For example, heal? Thank you in advance, will check replies tomorrow.
Hey, fellow WoW player myself. I found LoL extremely easy after years of WoW.
These will all be my opinion but I feel it's accurate. A lot of LoL players will disagree.

Best Tank: Alistar. He has 2 of the 3 best forms of CC, a small AoE heal, and his special(ulti) is something like 65% damage reduction from all sources.

Best Ranged Carry: This one is a bit harder. Ashe/Caitlyn/Tristana would be my guess. I personally play Ezreal(fun factor for me as opposed to him being better then the rest)

Best Melee: This one is very hard. I honestly don't feel like any of the melee carries are viable. Now as for Tanky DPS, you have a lot of options. I have no "best" for this role, even though i feel it's the most overpowered role in the current meta. My favorite right now is Lee Sin, again, this is because I find him extremely fun to play(my favorite champion in the game).

Best Spellcaster: Depends on what you like. AoE nuking - Brand/Annie. Single Target "I kill you" Malzahar/Akali Utility aka you cant touch me: Lux

Best class in the game right now is Tanky DPS.

Go to leaguecraft.com(don't, again, DON'T read the guides. THEY ARE TERRIBLE). Pick a champ and go to their 'builder'. Here you can see all the items and what they build from. Make a build for yourself. Try to keep your gold cost at a reasonable amount. When I first started playing, I found my games would end when I reached about 10k gold. I based my builds around this price. Now i'm closer to 15k/game but I've been playing for a little while now.

The circle around your character is the range that you can cast the move. I.E you're in my circle, i can hit you with this spell. Most spells will have that circle radius display. If you see a line, leading from you to whereever you're aiming, those are skill shots. They fire straight across that line. Spells that hit an area will bring up 2 circles, one around your character(this is the standard range display we discussed earlier) and a second circle at your mouse. This is another skill shot. Where you click the second circle will be the area your spell is cast in. The size of that circle is the AoE of your spell.

Also, next game you're in, change your keybindings to use smart cast. Learn to play this way and you wont have to later on. It pretty much makes it so that you mouse-over cast. You will no longer have to click to cast your spell. This helps you to be faster. It's a little weird at first, especially with skill shots, but I promise you it's worth it.

Oh and change your keybindings for self casting spells as well. Having to click yourself to heal yourself or shield or w/e is dumb and slow.

NotProEnough

08-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiclic View Post
Very little of the skills you've learned in WoW apply here.
How wrong you are. If WoW teaches anything, it's synergy. Between talents, specs, gear, spell rotations, spells(yours with another players) and classes.

Does this sound at all familiar? You deal with it EVERY LoL game.

Tekhaze

08-24-2011

Best advice I'd give a new player is don't be afraid to often try different champions that appeal to you. This will give you a general feel for different champion styles and item combinations. Soon you'll come across a few you really enjoy, stick with them for awhile to reach higher skill.

Browse each champions information and check their difficulty for easy... xD

LegendaryHobos

08-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeHX View Post
^Don't believe in twitch.

Best tank, currently(after multiple shen nerfs), is leona imo.
Best ranged is corki, or ashe if one prefers cheap champions with more utility than damage(ashe has nothing that really increase her dps, but can slow/pop spell shields very easily and have a map-range stun).

Usually, whatever you feel right playing as is the best, for you.

In pubs, tanky dps(all 5 members of the team) wins.
If you read my post, you would know I was kidding. And it doesn't take a genius to see the sarcasm in it either.
Leona lacks damage, yes her stuns are useful but after her stuns she is easy to ignore, and if you build damage then you'll be blown up.
And the best ranged highly depends on what your looking for, corki is a very good carry, but I disagree that he is the best.

imnotbono

08-24-2011

You ask what "class" is best? That's kind of off mark; a well-built team comprises champs of most roles, if not all. I'd suggest you get familiar with two champs of each role, and go from there.

My recommendations to learn:

Tank: Rammus, Alistar
AD Carry: Caitlyn, Ashe
AP Carry: Vlad, Ryze
Support: Sona, Janna

There are other very good choices to learn, but these champs I have in mind, you'll want a little experience under your belt before you understand the metagame and timing and intricacies well enough to begin to learn them properly: Akali, Tryndamere, Jax, Singed, Brand.

imnotbono

08-24-2011

@legendaryhobos. The problem is you're trolling someone who's so new to the game, he *doesn't* know you're being sarcastic. Twitch IS a VERY good champ at low levels, where people don't bother to get oracle or ward approaches to the lane. And Leona, as a matter of fact, is fairly viable in mid ELO.

So maybe if you're gonna kid, make it obvious to the new guy and then give some actual constructive help