GUIDE: Amumu-makes trail of tears look like luls

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GENERAL NUTBAKED

04-04-2010

Amumu is free this week and I have been playing him for a while, so I thought I would write a quick guide for him.

Item Order:
I typically start with rejuv beads, 2 health pots, 1 mana pot, and a sight ward. rejuv beads/health pots give me great lane staying powers, mana pot allows for more agressive play, and the sight ward protects against ganks if you ward the bushes coming out of mid river, as if you and your partner are playing as you should, they WILL call for a gank on you.

then I get spirit visage (mainly for MR and CDR), defensive boots (depending on the enemy team comp), leviathan, rod of ages.

After that, I build a rylai's crystal scepter, banshee's veil, thornmail.

if you need, build a banshee's right after leviathan.

If you are main tanking, then instead of rod of ages, get aegis of the legion. instead of rylai's, get a sunfire cape.

Skill Order:

Q
E
E
W
E
R
E
Q
W
E
R
alternate W and Q at whim.
I max tantrum first because it provides me with efficient laning.

Summoner Spells:
I tend to get flash and clairvoyance. Its a matter of preference, but I shouldn't have to explain this one.

General Tips:

While laning, play agressively, but not stupidly. Constantly look for openings to attack and relay it to your teammate. But don't go in when you cannot secure either a kill, or get them low enough to recall. You're amumu. You're not going to harass anyone.

Master alt commands: Alt commands are integral to landing not only skillshots but targetted abilities in this game. mastering them allows you faster reflex time in targetting your abilities. Since Amumu's Q is a very important skillshot on a long cd (like morgana's), you need to land it quickly and accurately. Nothing makes your teammates love you more than a clutch bandage toss, especially if its through a wall.

Don't go places alone. You simply cannot really kill anything (besides minions and neutrals) by yourself. Amumu is one of the most team dependant champions in the game.

Get golem at level 4. You should be able to do this, but make sure you have full health and mana before going in, because you will come out low health. Basically go in there and use despair and tantrum until golem's two friends are dead, then switch to despair only, using tantrum only if you know you won't go oom towards the end.

If nobody else is, take lizard at level 7. By level 7, you should easily be able to down him. Having the golem buff when you do this makes things alot easier, and allows you to spam bandage toss and tantrum.

Use your ultimate intelligently. Your ultimate has a god awful cooldown. Cherish it, but don't hesitate to use it to 1) stay alive when you need to, or 2) secure a teamfight in your favor.

Pick amumu when your team has heroes such as nunu, katarina, or fiddlesticks. Fiddle/Amumu combo is still one of the best, ever. Amumu is also great against heroes such as cho'gath and shen, who tend to stack massive health.

Get pharoah skin. I can't explain it, but it helps you play better. I promise.

Masteries:
I actually go 9/0/21 for the cooldown reduction. It's also why I grab spirit visage and golem buff (the 9/0/21 is because I don't always get to have golem buff). Also, it allows me to rune survivability (tend to get HP/health regen runes).

Also, since it's karthus week, check out my karthus guide at http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=44813

I am a level 30 summoner with 35 more wins than losses and about 340 games played, but I have a 41-30 win/loss with amumu, and 61-39 with karthus (I believe). I solo queue about 80% of the time.

Jravolta

04-04-2010

Rylai's? By the time the stun's done the slow will be too.

Noeh

04-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jravolta View Post
Rylai's? By the time the stun's done the slow will be too.

you're aware that anything hit by tantrum is slowed as well right?

Jravolta

04-04-2010

By 15% over 2 seconds. Amumu already has 2 stuns, why would you pay for an expensive 15% slow?

peyo

04-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeh View Post
you're aware that anything hit by tantrum is slowed as well right?
and none of you is aware that it works with Despair as well, right? :>

that's what I've been looking for in all the guides

as for items, I tend to start with Regrowth Pendant, building it into Philo stone
boots 3 > any others for amumu, you need to catch up with others to get them
then I build Rylai (if the team is mostly mages) and sunfire capes. If there's more meele, I get 1 sunfire first, then Rylai and then another Sunfire :P

GENERAL NUTBAKED

04-05-2010

rylai's is amazing on amumu because all of amumu's abilities with the exception of toss are AOE abilities. therefore, just by toggling on/off crying, he can slow the entire team, and especially with tantrum. Also, Rylai's gives amumu 500 health and 80 AP. these should never be overlooked.

That first build is best used as support tank amumu, where you stack enough hp to not die fast, and have another dude who soaks up damage. its best used if you have mordekaiser, cho'gath, or mundo tanking, as they can soak up ******ed amounts of damage, but lack any sort of initiator. This is what a support tank amumu can do...initiate incredibly well, while dishing out respectable damage with rod of ages and rylais.

Let me elaborate by telling you what Amumu's ratios are.
Bandage Toss: 1:1
Despair: 100AP=1%
Tantrum: 1AP=0.5 damage
Ultimate: 1:1, it ticks 3 times, each time doing 33% of your AP.

you could tell for yourself why having around 170 AP and 4k health is a good idea

plus, you are the disable king.

the point is to make amumu as useful as possible.

TaigaStance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-05-2010

I wouldn't really call him the disable king. Only his bandage toss is a stun; his ult's only a snare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
Get pharoah skin. I can't explain it, but it helps you play better. I promise.
This I agree 100%. Pharaoh Amumu seems to win games for me lately even if the team's behind the whole game.