Taric Completely Outclassed?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swiftstar88

04-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbunkleFlux View Post
Shatter isn't going to help that much during the laning phase except as an armor aura, so there's no reason to rush it to 5 when Imbue is going to have more utility right then and there.

As for Dazzle, why level Dazzle over -any- of his other abilities? All leveling it boosts is the damage and that's not what you're using it for. It should be no question that it goes last--after you get that one point in it early on of course.
Shatter's active gets really annoying for his opponents when he's laned with a good carry. A good carry who already have armor reduction (runes, brutalizer, etc). That extra bit of armor reduction hurts, and around level 3 of shatter (I think, maybe 4) Taric can start one-shotting creep waves, allowing him to push farther.

Is he a good tank? There are better. Does Sion have his good parts? Yeah, he has his merits and is quite useful on the right team. Does it matter? Not really.

Besides, Sivir > all. Sivir + Taric is crazy. Sivir + Taric + Alistar + support (Soraka?) + carry is just wrong. And that's the only reason I like Taric over Sion.

Remiko Elliot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2010

See, my only reasoning behind maxing dazzle before imbue is for the cooldown reduction. I guess the heal is more worth it.

saixx

04-05-2010

auraman can carry teams. Damage and heal ultimate boosts, shatters armor boost, aegis armor mag resist and dmg boosts, starks life steal atk speed and hp regen boosts, soul shroud mana regen cd reduc boosts. Add to this heal that heals others and himself at same time. Also add shatters damage and armor reduction in trade of armor bonus to allies. and last you get a stun that lasts up to 2 seconds.

I'm pulling a 50/20 W/L right now at lvl 29. I love rocking the auraman. Teammates love you for psuedo tanking and ur buffs. I try to build for auras and a bt of survivability. chalice, boots(based on enemy team dodge or mag def), aegis, starks or soulshroud(based on your teams carries), then a frozen heart/spirit visage followed by the other if money allows. This gives u auras that will make the other team focus you. This allows your teammates to kill while u aura and imbue heal yourself with the bonus 30% from visage. You may not get kills, but I'm happy with a 2-4-18 win than a 10-10-5 loss.

also I get skills this order. 1 dazzle, for enemy champs/possible FB, 2 imbue (to heal up after kills), 3 shatter. Then I lvl radiance>shatter>imbue>dazzle.

shatter gets more defense and sick aoe for clearing creep waves and damaging enemies and adding debuff. Imbue helps you and allies staying power. Dazzle at all lvls has equal stun capability and the damage only increases for being close, I use dazzle far away for stun which at all lvls does low damage, hence 0-XX damage in tooltip.

p.s. sorry for runon sentences, but I'm at work. I don't have the time to edit myself.

CarbunkleFlux

04-05-2010

Quote:
This is where I'd respectfully disagree. You forget you can activate it for damage and an armor debuff, and that's where it really shines.

The handful of times I've played Taric, Shatter has always been immensely useful. While stunning someone with dazzle scares just about anyone off, if they stick around I rush in, shatter and start going Maxwell on their head. Usually it's enough to send anyone packing to their tower. Heck, I've gotten a handful of first bloods this way, too.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Dazzle > Shatter harrassing combo. I just think Shatter should be secondary to Imbue. This is not a bad thing for Shatter; Shatter is more effective out of the box than Imbue. So you can afford to keep it a level or two behind Imbue because it'll still be useful. By contrast, Imbue only gets really good at 3+, so you lose out on a lot of Imbue's effectiveness by neglecting it. And it's really too important a skill to neglect like that, IMO.

Quote:
While some people like laning with Jax or another melee DPS character when they're Taric, I found a lot of success with my friend as Janna. We both grab a Mana Manipulator and spam our harass spells. It's absolutely delicious because we're almost never in any mana trouble and our spells can take you out if you try to get smart with us.
That sounds like mad fun. I'd love to try that with a Janna partner.
Also, Sivir + Taric is good times ^_^. I rarely have as much fun laning with Taric as I do with a Sivir partner.

Quote:
See, my only reasoning behind maxing dazzle before imbue is for the cooldown reduction. I guess the heal is more worth it.
Okay, I did forget about the CR. But IMO, it doesn't change much. Dazzle can still wait.

Chaoticon

04-05-2010

I main Taric and I hardly ever see many others play him. Honestly hes the only champion I can stand playing. I can build about 4-5 different ways and still dominate. I have 162wins and 89 loses as taric. The majority of that was solo queue. My only complaint is his long cooldowns, even with 40percent cdr ~_~.

Morinav

04-05-2010

Taric's a beast of a hero that brings some amazing **** to a team.

I main Taric and do very well with him (except for last game, I went 0/14/6 and have no idea what happened. Worst. Game. Ever). Here are some of the advantages Taric has over Sion.

Taric can be built cheaply. A solid build for Taric runs under 10k, so there's little need for him to farm super hard or get fed kills. My core build for him is Aegis, Chalice, Merc's Treads/Tabi and Spirit Visage. That ends up being like, what, about 6k gold? It's blindingly easy to get. Even if I'm being harassed really hard early game, I can get that kind of scratch without trouble. Anything beyond those items is gravy.

Sion is harder to build and needs mad last hits to snowball his HP. If he gets shut down early game he'll end up being useless. A beefy Sion ends up being a bus that rolls over your entire time and eats towers for breakfast, but that's going to be very hard to build. 95% of the time Taric will end up being well built and contributing more to the team than Sion.

Taric's ult is much better than you give it credit for. Once it's toggled on, it won't go off until you cancel it or get killed. CC can't interrupt it. Silence won't stop it (it will prevent you from turning it off, which can be annoying). 50hp/second to everyone around you is pretty big, especially if they have Spirit Visage. It also heals creeps (gives them a portion of the damage buff, too. I think 1/4) and gives your team a huge damage boost. If you keep it up for 10 seconds during a team fight, that's +500 hp and +45 damage to everyone on your team for 10 seconds. It's like giving everyone on your team a free BF sword and giant's belt every freaking fight. So badass.

Given that it has a low cooldown, it can be used to give people some quick healing and is great for toggling while the team's being chased. Once again, 10 seconds would give everyone +500 hp as you flee from a fight. I can't count the number of people I've saved with Taric's ult. Team mate got ignited during a close gank? Stand next to them with your ult on. Seriously one of the best ults in the game. It does require finesse to use. Knowing when to cut it off to keep the rest of your mana pool intact is very important and takes some experience.

His heal looks a little weak on paper, but is actually quite strong when you think about it carefully. For one, it always heals Taric. If you're targeting someone else, you're dishing out 540 HP worth of healing every cast, more since most Tarics get a Spirit Visage. Suddenly it's not looking so weak. The cooldown on his heal is reduced by 2 seconds every time he auto-attacks anything (hero, minion, structure), which can make it godly for pushing. It can also be used on minions. Have a siege minion with you? Imbue + Radiance will let that bad boy tank the tower so long as you have mana. You can still dish out heals at a decent clip in a team fight so long as you can hit something to reduce the cooldown. Stark's, which you usually get anyway, gives a decent chunk of aspd which helps with this.

Since Taric's so team-centric, he's a fantastic lane partner. He heals both himself and his lane mate, gives them armor and can initiate with stuns. If you're laning with a DPSer or another stunner, it's very easy to harass the enemy or continually kill them during the laning phase. The reason a lot of Taric players (me included) pump shatter is because Dazzle + shatter by itself is a huge amount of virtually risk free damage. Dazzle + shatter + armor debuff + phys DPS lane partner = kills. He also matches up with most heroes during the laning phase. Taric + phys DPS is godly. Taric + tank is godly (lol Taric + Alister). Taric + caster is godly. Actually, Taric + Sion is one of the best lane combos in the game (chain stun, chain shield shatter, heals, gg).

So in the end.

Taric
Pros:
Above average survivability.
Very hard to shut down.
Great aura support (shatter, ult, items).
Cheap to build with an item build that scales well.
Very flexible and powerful lane partner.
Synergizes extremely well with other team members.
One of the best pushers in the game.

Cons:
Weak 1v1.
Requires some teamwork to be successful.

Sion:
Pros:
Above average survivability. Great if he can snowball well.
Good 1v1 fighter.
Can become a bus.
Good lane partner. (his stun is great, coupled with a shield pop it can dish out serious damage. No heal hurts him in comparison to Taric).

Cons:
Has to snowball to be good.
Moderate - expensive item build.
Doesn't really buff the team (his ult kind of does, but it puts him at risk to use it and is inconsistent).
Easily shut down, especially in team fights.

They're both good heroes, but Sions big weakness is his heavy reliance on snowballing. In higher ELO games, people will keep him locked down and he'll be drag the team. For TT, however, Sion's an amazing pick while Taric's considerably weakened. Aura's aren't as good on TT and Sion's a lot harder to shut down. He's better 1 on 1 and in small fights, which is what TT's all about, making him the perfect balance of hard CC, survivability and damage.

Bear in mind that you might just suck bad with Taric. I suck bad with Gangplank. I played like 60 matches with him and just can't figure the hero out. Almost every other GP I've ever seen does much better than I do, but I've never really been able to figure out why. If you're playing better with Sion, keep playing Sion. I love GP to death, parrrrlay is so much fun, but I had to accept I can't play him and move on. You could also be building Taric incorrectly. DO NOT max dazzle first. Who cares about a little cooldown reduction? How often are you casting dazzle each and every time it comes off cooldown? Never. Shatter and imbue are much stronger skills to level early on, and I can garauntee you'll never need to chain stun in the laning phase. I favor shatter over imbue, but it's largely a matter of personal play style and lane comp.