General runes advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ericus1

04-04-2010

I was curious if people wouldn't mind giving some general advice about runes. I downloaded the rune database, which is quite nice, but I am unsure which is the best type of runes to use. I realize that which you use is heavily dependent on what characters you play, but only having two rune pages I wanted to try and build the broadest, most useful pages. I play a mixture of every type of character (Sivir, Mundo, Heim, Ashe, Blitz, etc.), so I'm thinking one book for defensive and one for offensive, spanning as many chars as possible. I understand this may give me a slight handicap not being totally specialized.

Basically, which of the /lvl versus flat bonus runes are useful? Should I go health/mana regen, just flat increases, or is flat out armor/magic resist the best way to go? Is crit change, attack speed, or one of the penetrations better? Since Quint's can do it all, is it better to go with the things they uniquely do or just get a regular stat boost with them? Any other details would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Vienna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2010

Gear your runes toward the champions you generally play.

Damage bonuses typically go in the red (armor pen, etc.)
Utility typically gets stuck to yellows and blues (dodge, magic res, mana regen)
Quints are specialized for what you need. If you play, say Poppy or Ashe a lot, you'd probably consider movement speed. Flat HP is the most common choice because of how noticeable it is early game. Pen takes a close second.

I typically see that people who get things that are either flat increases or plvl get the plvl. AP, mana regen, etc., I almost exclusively see plvl runes. However, if you pick heroes who naturally have say, mana problems iron out later, why bother getting plvls? ALSO, the exception I generally see is Quints. People tend to get flat quints, be it AP or whatever.

It's just a logical thing you have to figure out for yourself: What matches best with my playstyle and preferences?

adjl

04-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna View Post
I typically see that people who get things that are either flat increases or plvl get the plvl. AP, mana regen, etc., I almost exclusively see plvl runes. However, if you pick heroes who naturally have say, mana problems iron out later, why bother getting plvls? ALSO, the exception I generally see is Quints. People tend to get flat quints, be it AP or whatever.
It's worth pointing out that flat vs. per level varies by stat/rune type. The CDR quint, for example, gives either 1.64% flat, or 0.13% per level. Some basic math will tell you that the per level one doesn't become better until level 13, which in some games is a very large percentage of the game length, so flats are typically recommended. Inversely, AP glyphs give 0.99 flat and 0.17 per level, so the per level becomes better by level 6. You've gotta consider it on a rune-by-rune basis, there's no universal rule for deciding whether you want flats or per levels.

Should probably also mention that flat health runes can be preferable, not necessarily because they equilibrate relatively late, but because the larger health boost tends to be more desirable in early game when it's a larger percentage of your base health. Though that'll vary as well, and is largely a matter of personal preference (and even then, HP seals equilibrate at 5, so this really only applies to quints, which equilibrate at ~15).