High price of Champions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DMagnific

06-19-2011

Before you say this post doesn't belong in the champions discussion, it's about the price of CHAMPIONS, so it does.

Of the 36 champions released after the beginning of LoL, 50% have been 6,300 IP.

I never buy RP because I see that they're trying to force people to when it's supposed to be a free to play game. And now I'll show you how they try to force you to buy RP.

The average IP from my last ten games (with one first win of the day bonus) is 96.9 IP. 6300 IP divided by 96.9 IP is a little over 65 games (to buy one champion).

Even if each game only takes 30 minutes (the 5v5 description says a standard game lasts 30-45 minutes) then that would take 1,950 minutes, or 32.5 hours to accumulate 6,300 points.

If each game takes 37.5 minutes, it would take 40.625 hours to accumulate 6,300 points.

If each game lasted 45 minutes, it would take 48.75 HOURS to accumulate 6,300 points.

That's outrageous.
They know that the players who really enjoy LoL will buy RP, and they know this because if you devote an entire two days of your life to the game, then you will have invested much more that a few dollars and will be willing to buy RP while people who aren't willing to buy RP won't spend that much time saving for a 6,300 IP champion. It's a catch 22. Any one who is willing to spend a large amount of time playing LoL is also willing to pay for RP. It's not free to play, It's free to try.

Lycanblu

06-19-2011

Been playing at least a year and have never purchased RP.

I've never had a problem. With the champions on rotation each week this shouldn't be a problem for anyone really. You can use anyone once, and never have to pay, and if you like that one person, then you can get them.

One 6300 champion a week isn't that unreasonable, and I've been playing for quite some time, so I have every champion I ever intend to buy, and I make enough each week, that i can buy the next new champion if they interest me. If not, then I have enough to buy the next next champion that interests me, and some runes and so forth, You can expect to just have everything, any MMO will make you work months to even a year to get to the top, LoL is no exception.

I play anywhere from 3 to 10 matches a day, most of them in custom, where i receive smaller amounts of IP. But wait, I make sure I take advantage of playing a single Co-op vs. Ai game every day as well, that's 200 ip right there, for a quick, easy win.

jrhwhite

06-19-2011

No one is forcing you to play.

LoL is not an essential service you choose to play it. You CAN play the game for free.

There are lots of good champions out there for 450 or 1350 IP. Using your number for average IP gained per game and rounding up to the nearest whole game that's 5 games for a 450 champ and 14 games for a 1350 champ.

To me that is not at all unreasonable. The funny thing is that if it was easy to get every champion in the game people would complain and say that the game isn't fun anymore that there aren't enough champions etc.

You can have lots of fun in this game without needing 76 different champions to play. If you wanted to play one game with each champion using your lowest time per game number from above that would take 2,280 minutes or 38 hours to do.

I think Riot are doing a great job producing a FREE to play game and that some people are simply impossible to please.

There's my rant for the day

DMagnific

06-19-2011

You're right about me being ungrateful, because I pretty much am, but half the new champs being 6300 points is ridiculous. I am pretty difficult to please, and that's why 6300 seems so high, but it is really high. Lycanblu is the exception that proves the rule, and to anyone who has never used IP to buy a 6300 champ, I challenge you to try. I promise it won't be easy.

And thanks for the tip about the AI games, I didn't know that.

paynee89

06-19-2011

What gets on my nerves is the fact that they say they are bringing the price of champs down (by reducing ryze, malph, morg etc.) however on average the price of champs is actually going up... Personally i dont think the ip for champs is too bad, runes and rune pages however is a different story...

GI Josie

06-19-2011

i do think the ip should be raised per game i dont like when i play a game and have a leaver so we have to surrender and that means i get 56 ip. and i dont like how i can play a hour long game to lose and receive 90 ip from that. on the other hand 150 ip in a hour long game doesnt seem to be much of a pay off.

but im just playing for the fun of the game. just wish i could get my runes faster than i do. haha

Zarcuthra

06-19-2011

Ummm...are you completely daft?

It's free to play ONLY because some people spend money on RP.

You CAN play the game just fine without ever spending a single dollar...you have access to all content except alternate artwork for champions. All you need to do is win a game a day, and you can afford a 6300 IP champion every month with some IP to spare.

What on Earth are you complaining about!?!?

Please wake up.

Riot is not a charity.

DMagnific

06-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarcuthra View Post
Ummm...are you completely daft?

It's free to play ONLY because some people spend money on RP.

You should be thanking the rest of us that actually support Riot by purchasing RP, and you should be ashamed of yourself for playing a game for a year and not supporting the enterprise that allows it to exist.

Please wake up.

Riot is not a charity.
I'm not completely daft, but I get that a lot.

It seems to me that the fact that I don't spend money on this game has clouded your judgment. I didn't, and if you read my post again you might see this, say that Riot should make the game 100% free and do away with RP. I said that they pride themselves on a great game, despite it being free to play, while a good number of the champions are virtually unreachable without purchasing RP. I posted to say that the fact that such a large number of champions were extremely expensive was angering me. I'm only level 12, and haven't been playing the game for a year.

I am very much awake.

If Riot was a charity I might give money.

P.S. It took me a while to word this response and I refuse to change it despite the quoted post being changed.

JGVariety

06-19-2011

It's been I think two weeks and I'm at 5400 IP right now. It'd most likely be 6000-6300+ if all those games this week were Wins. So yeah, patience and good teammates is key.

Lafua

06-19-2011

You have to remember when the game first started, they didn't have anywhere near as many champions as they do now... So someone like you, who's just starting it can seem overwhelming with the amount of champions at higher prices. But that can be said for ANY game, you start late and you're behind the curb... They can't just reduce prices because YOU want to own every champion for cheap (with free champions every week, you don't even need to own every champion. Not to mention the fact that you shouldn't waste ip on champs you're not sure about/don't like). The way you're looking at it, it's a race to see how fast you can get ip to get champions, as you stated you're not even 30 yet. Whats the rush? Why do you want every single champion? Since you're not willing to spend a few dollars here and there, you're going to have to put in the time to get the champions, or you're going to have just stop trying to own them all.