Need help with Kassadin!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burncroft

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2011

The most recent guide put out on Kass here is from April 2010. Obviously, the game, and Kassadin himself, has changed greatly since then.

I've been playing him alot lately and it seems he's a bit U.P. I've been rushing A.A. first, followed with a Rabadons D.Cap. Is this the optimal build for him nowadays? Everyone tells me he's not meant for melee at all, he should be pure A.P. but... the thing is, his auto's aren't ranged. He has to be all up in the mix to last hit in lane, unless your using your pretty mana hungry abilities to do it. That in itself warrants some melee related items, in my opinion.

I've been thinking of a build for him to try, but haven't had an opportunity, due to whiny teammates.

Core- Guinsoo's. Then boots of preferance, followed by Manamune, then Rabadon's.

Situational- Abyssals, Frozen Heart, Lichbane, etc..

All feedback will be greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading.

Xenarcher

06-20-2011

One of the big problems with Kassadin is, as you pointed out, his melee auto-attack. This makes it extremely challenging to farm adequately with him during the laning phase. Kass really needs to get solo mid or top so he can get his farm on. If he's relegated to a dual lane, his mid- to late-game becomes really meh.

FWIW, I've never seen a viable AD build with Kassadin. But that's just my experience.

Wakigo

06-20-2011

Mana on him isn't a problem if you're smart and get Nether Blade at lvl 3. AD kassadin is hard btw, ive tried him many times and results are you do complete feed, or you become an assist machine.

lame1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2011

doran ring > roa> sorc shoes > rabadon > b veil/avyssal > void staff > hourglass
max q then e you can skip w
summoners flash/cleanse + ignite
only way to play kass is ap , cause he can counter enemy caster very well

Force of Nurture

06-20-2011

Mana crystal and pots over doran's or boots and pots imo so you have the extra mana pool when you start harassing at level 3 with your level 2 Q (having two f-up erasers AKA red pots, is also quite nice). Start really keeping up on your harass at level 4 and 5, as well as try to save up enough mana to RQE when you hit 6 so you can go for a kill if the opportunity arises. Mana regen and mpen runes are also very handy early game.

Don't rush archangels as your first item, RoA will give you more than enough mana, some decent survivability so you don't die in two hits, decent AP, instant sustainability with catalyst so you don't OOM every five seconds, and synergizes very well with archangels anyway if you build AA later. Rabadon's or mejai's is probably going to be your other core, depending on how well you are/think you will be doing, as that'll be where most of your mid-game damage comes from.

Other than that your build is all situational. If they're kind of AP heavy abyssal is a decent choice since your E has pretty short range anyway, zhonya's if they're running a karthus/veigar or if they're AD heavy, situational banshee's or quicksilver against certain champions like mord or malz, etc.... Some people also build sheen at times, which is situational imo and really a personal preference. It will boost your burst, but then again it's always been nearly suicidal to autoattack with kassadin after early game considering almost all his survivability comes from R mobility and he's a good focus, especially if you went for the mejai build.

tbh it has a lot to do with player skill. His R makes it very easy to reposition yourself (basically flash on a 3 second CD), but it also means that if you mis-time or misjudge distances or zones, you might end up putting yourself in danger with your ult instead. Know when to jump in, when to wait, when to just walk in and jump OUT instead if they save CC or burst for you, how close you have to be to certain walls to get over them, which champions to save your Q for (ex: nunu, ww) so you can interrupt them etc... For example, if you're rather low and TF is on the other team? B next to a wall so you can R over it and run if he ports you, reflex cleanse on yellow card optional if needed.

w3ak

06-20-2011

Essentially what FoN above me said:
Start with a crystal and 2 health pots. You will be able to use your Q when its still low level to help you farm a bit with the extra mana you have to make up for being melee. You will also be gaining more mana back when you level because the % of mana you have left will be higher after using 2 Q's with crystal than without.

Kass can be built a bunch of different ways, but they are reliant on runes. One different build involves being mid with flat AP runes and starting off with a tome and a pot. The damage you can do at level 3 with your level 2 Q with flat AP and tome, combined with a flash, E then ignite, is quite a lot.

AD is just slightly too weak on kass just because he is too squishy for a melee. Hybrid can work but is very expensive.

TuxedoTee

06-20-2011

Mana crystal, sorc treads, RoA, Deathcap/hourglass depending on how much aggro you are getting

with mana regen yellows and nether blade @ lvl 2 you shouldnt have mana problems ever

i know people are going to hate for me saying this, but his E is not worth going before level 4- doesnt add enough damage at level one and wastes his mana (can be helpful in dual lane with a partner who can chase down a slowed opponent- you shouldnt/ cant solo)

it is better in lane to just level q and have enough mana to use it constantly (judiciously) with your nether blade

in team fights hang around the edges until stuns go down and opposing carry enters fight, burst the carry and immediately get back to the fringe

key is staying alive til the fight breaks down and one side starts retreating, at which point kass really shines due to his blink and huge burst

try to get in as many E's as you can during the fight while staying on the fringe WITHOUT BLINKING IN

while team is fighting you must save blink to use defensively

when the fight breaks down, you should have 2-3 stacks on the blink, at which point the opposite team is strung out and you can start using it offensively to do damage

hourglass is really just amazing on kass for mid-late game. get it.

Edit: at most levels of play kass is great when played as a carry killer. He can avoid most defensive formations (tanks) with ease and do enough damage to kill/ deter squishies before quickly getting himself out of harms way. This really helps your team and you should have success with this mindset.

Kass is my 3rd most played hero, hope that helps.

Burncroft

06-20-2011

Thanks everyone for your modest feedback. I'll definitely try the RoA first, I haven't yet because Kass has relatively spammy abilities, which means to me a tear asap would be best. but... Kass IS incredibly frail. And to farm, I can't depend on Q or E. And another thing hindering me with him= no AP runes at the moment lol.

TuxedoTee

06-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burncroft View Post
Thanks everyone for your modest feedback. I'll definitely try the RoA first, I haven't yet because Kass has relatively spammy abilities, which means to me a tear asap would be best. but... Kass IS incredibly frail. And to farm, I can't depend on Q or E. And another thing hindering me with him= no AP runes at the moment lol.
My favorite build is flat AP quints, ap/lvl blues, mana reg yellow, and obviously mpen reds

request me for a game if youd like to see me demonstrate

~tuxedotee

Burncroft

06-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoTee View Post
My favorite build is flat AP quints, ap/lvl blues, mana reg yellow, and obviously mpen reds

request me for a game if youd like to see me demonstrate

~tuxedotee
Will do! ^^ My problem is.. I'm kind of broke on IP xD so, I only have a couple t3 runes at the moment.