LoL - "Deceptively Free"? No.

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 23
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sdjaks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2010

I guess saying that it's deceptively free is sort of fair... but the confusing part is "but this is one case where the game wasn't positioned quite so well in terms of the customer's financial options."

Micro transactions work perfectly for LoL, they don't sell power, and to be frank, some of the mid to strongest heroes are 450-1350 and can be bought after only a few games, depending on your win ratio.

Since it's just a WITTAY AWARDZ and nothing but a blurb, I don't expect them to accurately describe anything. They forget to mention the amount of heroes that are free, which is substantial given the total number of heroes. I wouldn't put too much salt in it, it's gamespy and I think people only use their servers to steal patches. Nobody reads that trash.

captainpyoomp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpander View Post
To a new player in this game it doesn't matter, and by the time you learn all the champs to a high level you will have them
this

in spending the time needed to find which champions you like then learning to play them well you can earn enough ip to unlock more champions and spend time learning them, and so on.

as someone who spends all of his ip on champions, i can say that i am far from being "good" with more than half of the champs i've unlocked. 11 left to purchase.

Sefam

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpyoomp View Post
this

in spending the time needed to find which champions you like then learning to play them well you can earn enough ip to unlock more champions and spend time learning them, and so on.

as someone who spends all of his ip on champions, i can say that i am far from being "good" with more than half of the champs i've unlocked. 11 left to purchase.
That's nothing but an excuse, to keep up with the flow of champions that keep being released, you barely buy any runes. You have to keep spending spending spending.

sdjaks

04-03-2010

Without draft mode having all the heroes is kind of a waste...blind pick favors team synergy rather than picking to counter enemy heroes. Having them all available is nice, but chances are you will have 2-3 that your team works best with. I confess that I don't main a champ often though, most of my games are split among everyone.

BAGELBOT

04-03-2010

Like I said, for all of those saying that this game is free, I'm not disagreeing with you. However, once again you invested a great deal of TIME in place of money in order to access features that preferably should be available to begin with.

xKLG

04-03-2010

Hey OP, you're dumb.

Besides the fact that it really is a ***** to unlock everything with IP if you want to have some runes to work with (trust me, I paid about 45 bucks for this free game within the first week and I haven't looked back since)...

That article is from Gamespy, probably written by Ryan Scott. Yeah. The dude in the games media that's been pimping this game since early closed beta and single handedly got me to play after I heard him ranting about how great it was on podcasts.

The journalist mostly responsible for the darling status LoL has in the games media while HoN is ignored.

So shut up. Wrong and wrong.

Ferg

04-03-2010

Nothings free. Most things require time and money. LoL is still more free then most however as it just requires time or money.

HolyFortress

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzL View Post
Hey OP, you're dumb.

Besides the fact that it really is a ***** to unlock everything with IP if you want to have some runes to work with (trust me, I paid about 45 bucks for this free game within the first week and I haven't looked back since)...

That article is from Gamespy, probably written by Ryan Scott. Yeah. The dude in the games media that's been pimping this game since early closed beta and single handedly got me to play after I heard him ranting about how great it was on podcasts.

The journalist mostly responsible for the darling status LoL has in the games media while HoN is ignored.

So shut up. Wrong and wrong.
Wow dude. First off, almost everything is an opinion. Truth is relative to the person, so don't just yell at him for being wrong.

Second, if you're going to do it, you don't have to be such an *** about it.

In regards to the OP, I myself paid 20 dollars for it and haven't regretted it. My friends however paid nothing and enjoy the game just as much.

ConeEtho

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGELBOT View Post
Like I said, for all of those saying that this game is free, I'm not disagreeing with you. However, once again you invested a great deal of TIME in place of money in order to access features that preferably should be available to begin with.
Time you would be using to play anyway even if the said features were unlocked by default.

So you can't really say that you will be INVESTING time to unlock the heroes. The unlockign comes naturally as you do what you would do anyway: play.

Sefam

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeEtho View Post
Time you would be using to play anyway even if the said features were unlocked by default.

So you can't really say that you will be INVESTING time to unlock the heroes. The unlockign comes naturally as you do what you would do anyway: play.
You know I hate arguing with you but...

4 champions that cost 6300 IP = +20k IP = +200 victories. You have to play literally over 900 games to unlock everything.

12345612 ... 23