Guide: Malphite, the Annoying Rock

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Tibbers

09-10-2009

@The OP: I don't know why you think this build doesn't net you kills. Sunfire Capes rock. I just used your build and completely devastated with 15 kills and only 3 deaths. My first game with him too.
:/

Redrach

09-10-2009

I'm finding more success making a Frozen Heart ( +110 Armor, +500 Mana, UNIQUE Passive: Reduced ability cooldowns by 25% and reduces attackspeed of enemies by 25%.) as a first item instead of a Sunfire Cape. It's only 100 gold more, and allows you to spam your spells with impunity. With a Sunfire Cape I found farming easier, but I'd frequently be out of mana when I tried to gank, meaning fewer ganks overall. The Frozen Heart also allows you to counter DPS heroes even more, with more armor than a Sunfire Cape and the attack speed reduction.

Also, the preferred boots should be Ninja Tabis instead of Boots of Swiftness for the extra armor. You don't need the extra speed since you have an initiation spell (his ultimate) to get into melee range and a slow to keep enemies near you.

I usually get the Cape after the Boots and the Heart, at a point of the game where there would be more creeps on-screen, and fewer ganks. Sometimes I get the Giant's Belt before I complete the Frozen Heart, when I'm up against a lot of mages.

Another good item on him is Warden's Mail. He can use the Armor, Regen and -Speed it provides.

Mr Tibbers

09-10-2009

The Frozen Heart might be a good replacement for the OP's Force of Nature suggestion if you ask me. I don't see why he didn't pick up Tabi either...it's cheaper and it obviously goes with his Q.

Sean Connery

09-10-2009

I love the daylights out of Malphite.

I wanted to talk about runes real quick, though.

What are people slotting? Right now I'm taking..

Marks: Full Furor, for +24% crit damage
Seals: Full Defense, for +27 armor at level 18
Glyphs: Replenishment, for +3.6 mana per 5.
And 3 Greater Quintessences of Furor, bringing my crit damage up to +40%

My Marks are pretty straightforward - I like damage.

My Seals I am unsure about. I could go for health instead, but I don't know if that's better for me in the long run. 27 armor seems like such a relatively little amount, whereas if I devoted the seals to health I could get a few extra hundred... which in turn would push Granite Shield up a little more. I've been giving thought to Evasion, as well, since I usually get the Ninja Tabi and a high dodge might help get the shield up faster, too.

My Glyphs are full replenishment mostly because I find it very hard to keep my mana up early game with Malphite - I don't buy mana items, typically. My early game usually consists of me laning, last hitting, and throwing a Seismic Shard at anyone squishy who comes close enough. After sharding for a while, they either have to back off or I can occasionally get an early kill. Shard uses up a lot of mana early, though, hence my choice...

What are people using?

Mr Tibbers

09-10-2009

Well, if you're on the fence remember each point of armor increases your EHP. 100 points in armor will effectively double your HP, while 300 would triple it. Of course, you need health to make you tanky too, so it's best to choose a combination of the two. Your 27 armor increases your EHP by about 27%. That's like, what...270 EHP bonus per 1000 life? Not bad at all for only 27 armor.

My numbers might not be right though. Search it up on the forums, there was someone (in the guides section maybe?) who went over the effects of HP/Armor stacking.

enerd

Senior Recruiter

09-10-2009

i play malphite armor/health against caster i get a viel instead frozen heart and have mana regen/armor runes spec 6/3/21. But i am bad

Zeyk

09-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrach View Post
I'm finding more success making a Frozen Heart ( +110 Armor, +500 Mana, UNIQUE Passive: Reduced ability cooldowns by 25% and reduces attackspeed of enemies by 25%.) as a first item instead of a Sunfire Cape. It's only 100 gold more, and allows you to spam your spells with impunity. With a Sunfire Cape I found farming easier, but I'd frequently be out of mana when I tried to gank, meaning fewer ganks overall. The Frozen Heart also allows you to counter DPS heroes even more, with more armor than a Sunfire Cape and the attack speed reduction.

Also, the preferred boots should be Ninja Tabis instead of Boots of Swiftness for the extra armor. You don't need the extra speed since you have an initiation spell (his ultimate) to get into melee range and a slow to keep enemies near you.

I usually get the Cape after the Boots and the Heart, at a point of the game where there would be more creeps on-screen, and fewer ganks. Sometimes I get the Giant's Belt before I complete the Frozen Heart, when I'm up against a lot of mages.

Another good item on him is Warden's Mail. He can use the Armor, Regen and -Speed it provides.
That much armor is pretty ineffective if you don't get any HP first. IMO just grab a Giant's Belt before you go nuts with Armor, especially if they have any magic DPS.

Trend

09-11-2009

I'm pretty surprised the OP hasn't edited the guide. It's fairly bad both build and item-wise. This hero will always be amazing as HP item -> boots -> atma's, ignore seismic till late game

oblak

09-15-2009

Yeah..any chance we could get a new/updated guide with more up-to-date info?

ZeeManBear

10-10-2009

Heres what i think,
Start of with Meki Pendant
Phage
Boots of swiftness
Frozen mallet
Gaurdian Angel
philosophers stone
Warmog

Early off play it duck and run
scare with seismic shard
run in and smash get a few gold and run out

Later on You just sneak attack untill you get armour then you just tank it out.

Zee