Guide: Malphite, the Annoying Rock

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fatwa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2009

I've found with Malph that you'll either get a lot of killing blows or have a massive amount of assists. I use the Warmogs/Atmas/Mallet/Tabi base for my build, and it has had mixed results, certainly not enough consistent play to make a judgement. How well your team can damage is the deciding factor, when you've got good control of the battles pace, Malph shnes due to his abilities. W to smack anyone running, Q to fend off the melee in team battles, blow E when they're clumped together.

He can get downright nasty against some people.

Cheesus

09-05-2009

I do not know why most people think he is a tank? He has NO defensive ability, he has 3 Nukes and 1 Carry Ability. An AP or DPS build looks much more promising, seriously.

Mystikal

09-05-2009

So, latest results are in: Sheen is ****ing silly.

E activates sheen... Ha... So silly...

So Sheen + 350 attack = 1200 crits on heroes...

Peace out anything in your way.

Zeyk

09-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesus View Post
I do not know why most people think he is a tank? He has NO defensive ability, he has 3 Nukes and 1 Carry Ability. An AP or DPS build looks much more promising, seriously.
First off, Ground Slam is a defensive ability. Second, aside from Rammus most tanks don't really have any defensive abilities. Amumu is irrefutably a pure tank and all he's got is -5 damage. What makes a hero a tank is abilities that synergize well with defensive item stacking. Malphite has damage that rises with armor, in the same ability as a very substantial decrease to physical DPS, and being a tank allows him to stand in the middle of the team and keep using it. He was clearly designed to be able to go either way. I think he's a very powerful tank against a team that's heavy in physical DPS, but it's senseless to spec him that way against a lot of casters.

Anansi

Adjudicator

09-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
So, latest results are in: Sheen is ****ing silly.

E activates sheen... Ha... So silly...

So Sheen + 350 attack = 1200 crits on heroes...

Peace out anything in your way.
Agreed. Glad we found that out. Sheen is awesome on him.

Peppermint Patty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-06-2009

I haven't been playing this game long but I gained a great understanding and knowledge. I think two sunfire capes are slightly too much, it takes up lots of space and you wouldn't need it because teh first one does so much already. By that time I think that you'll need some more damage or hp/armor. I was playing a game before with that build. I went 12-2 - 12 something like that. And I think that he seriously either needed some more DPS around him, which of course he didn't have that much or he need to have DPS. He has so much splash damage already, late into a game should be a time where his offensive power blossoms because his splash and that skill will allow him to do monsterous damage while hunting or killing groups of champions easily.

Meran

09-08-2009

Just a build I have been having success with lately:

Regen Pendent > Philosopher's Stone - this increases my early game survivability, and is generally sufficient for me to never run out of mana.
Boots > Ninja Tabi
Phage
Infinity Edge
Skred/Bloodthirster/Atma's - often don't even get this far.
If it continues past this point, you can upgrade to Mallet from Phage, and trade out the Stone for whatever you feel you need (more damage, a defensive item for spell resist/armor, etc.)

This is obviously a damage/hero killing build. I max out Brutal Strikes/Seismic shard (ult too as available), and harass enemy heros with Shard early/last hit with strikes. With the Stone regen, I am able to use both generally as frequently as I would like to. Mid - late game you can open ult > pound > shard > brutal strikes and kill almost anyone very quickly. This build also effectively kills towers with brutal strikes on.

Mr Tibbers

09-08-2009

How do you do over 1k crits with Sheen on him? You do know that the full ability of Sheen doesn't kick in when you crit, right?

Kimmy Gibler

09-08-2009

Sheen is based off of your base dmg. His E ability increases base dmg for a bit, by a ton.

Mr Tibbers

09-08-2009

I know how Sheen works. That's why I said "You know the full ability of Sheen doesn't kick in when you crit, right?" Because it doesn't. When you pull of a crit with Sheen, the extra damage (the +base damage effect) doesn't come into play as part of the crit calculation.

Say you crit for 200 normally and have a base damage of 100. If you had a Sheen and pulled off a crit, you would deal (100 x 2) +100 damage, not (100x2)x2 damage. So, when you crit, the bonus damage is a flat rate. See what I mean?