Crit, atk speed or armor pen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Suono Libero

04-03-2010

Who is the best rune for a fighter?

long range is better with armor pen,crit or atk speed?

Nave222

04-03-2010

i say armor pen

Silent Reaper

04-03-2010

Armor Penetration is far better.

Crit chance only gives you a small advantage early game. Attack speed is good, but I'd say Armor penetration is much better.

Vienna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2010

Depends on who you are. Some heroes enjoy the crit (Pirate), some heroes need atk speed (junglers like WW), but the general choice if you don't specifically need it for something is armor pen.

BoogiepopPhantom

04-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Reaper View Post
Armor Penetration is far better.

Crit chance only gives you a small advantage early game. Attack speed is good, but I'd say Armor penetration is much better.

I'm a bit tired of hearing this. It is wrong, do some math, its not hard to figure out.

Which is better depends entirely on the enemy team and the hero you are playing as well as your planned item set.

Armor has diminishing returns, the more armor you have the less effective additional armor is, therefore armor penetration is the exact opposite. The less armor the opponent has and the more armor penetration you have, the more effective it is to get additional armor penetration. armor penetration is good early game, but scales poorly late game as enemy heroes get more armor. This can be fixed with an armor penetration item like last whisper. It also scales well the more you get, so last whisper with a black cleaver and armor penetration runes is an awesome build.

If you are up against high armor targets (rammus with 300 armor) then your armor penetration runes will be almost worthless, but if you are up against low armor targets it is great. If you don't plan on getting an armor penetration item (brutalizer, black cleaver or last whisper) then you probably should not get armor penetration runes.

Attack speed items are a percent of your attack speed, so heroes with higher natural attack speed get more benefit from attack speed runes.
Attack speed isn't that good on most heroes early game, as their natural attack speed is low. It scales well late game though, and its good on heroes with high natural speed (twitch, yi, tristanna etc . . .)

Critical damage runes give the most damage of any rune in the game, under the right circumstances. You need to build your hero to have a very high critical chance before critical damage runes will become effective. Critical damage is therefore bad early game because your critical chance is low, but it scales the best for late game damage if you build for high critical chance with items.

Critical chance runes give you a percentage increase in damage, and therefore if you have low natural damage they aren't very good. If you are not planning to get some damage items early then critical chance is not for you. High damage heroes (Sion with enrage on) and heroes that already have good damage items benefit greatly from critical chance. Also critical chance and critical damage work very well together, so if you get one, you should get both. It is a percent damage increase though so it is best on heroes with high damage. Get some damage items first, then go for critical chance. Critical chance can be good both early game and late, and it scales well late game getting better as you get more damage.

Critical chance and critical damage should almost always be done together. If you buy an infinity edge, then get a bloody phantom dancer as soon as possible or you are stupid. These two items just belong together, always.

Early game getting flat damage is nearly always better, late game go for damage multiplyers (attack speed, armor penetration, critical chance and critical damage are all ways of multiplying your damage) If you have over 300 damage and you are still buying flat damage items then you are doing it wrong.

Get the runes that will most benefit the hero and item build you are going for. If you plan on getting an Infinity edge then getting Critical chance runes is a great idea.

0rangeSoda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-04-2010

The point of runes
however is to give you an early game advantage

late game items will supplement for everything else :|
the point is to end the game quickly and efficiently, before everyone gets their final, full item set (infinity edge costs 4080 g ffs)
a good early game leads to a good late game
thus runes like flat health that help you early game and don't break even until about lvl 13 are preferable
as is with armor pen

that is all

BoogiepopPhantom

04-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehn00bsauce View Post
The point of runes
however is to give you an early game advantage

late game items will supplement for everything else :|
the point is to end the game quickly and efficiently, before everyone gets their final, full item set (infinity edge costs 4080 g ffs)
a good early game leads to a good late game
thus runes like flat health that help you early game and don't break even until about lvl 13 are preferable
as is with armor pen

that is all
If you play Sion and level enrage first then crit chance will do far more damage than armor penetration, even at level 1. I main as Sion, so that's how I know. Chose your runes to fit your hero, as long as you understand how they work then you can make an informed choice. People say armor penetration is better, but they don't explain that it is only better early game, and only on most heroes. Some heroes will do better with other runes, even early game. Some players may also chose not to spec their runes for the early game, but instead may chose to pick at least some runes to help late game. To pick runes you should understand how they scale with items and levels so you can decide. People who just say "use armor penetration its the best" are either lazy and don't want to explain why they think that, or they don't even know, and are just repeating something they were told without any understanding of why.

Also if you understand that armor penetration gets less effective later on as heroes get more armor then you can plan to get a last whisper, which is a percent armor reduction. This item works great with a flat armor reduction from runes. If you plan to go armor penetration, then plan to get lots, in order to maximize your effectiveness. Get items that give additional armor penetration in order to complement your runes, and get the armor penetration mastery as well.

Jman69

04-04-2010

I went attack speed runes for every slot because I play Twitch & sometimes Warwick and both those guys have "on hit effects". Maybe armor pen is better, it seems to come up the winner in any mathematical analysis but I'm happy with my rune choice.

AIM7Sparrow

04-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suono Libero View Post
Who is the best rune for a fighter?

long range is better with armor pen,crit or atk speed?
there's a search bar at the top right of your screen. also I didn't know runes were people.

ChaosGopherSucks

04-04-2010

different champs require different runes. I.E. for Jax, attk speed might be better to proc his ult more. But generally, if you're going for a universal rune page for physical dps, armor penetration is the best one to go for because I see it as one that will at least be helpful to every physical dps.