Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

am i the only 1 who does this?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DoransTroll

06-19-2011

Quote:
Flagonslayer:
His ult might just be hated on for the same reason as Rally, team fights move but it doesn't.

God forbid anyone tries to use his ult to FORCE a fight to happen where you will have an advantage.

Anyone can click at a character. But knowing how to force the person behind the screen to do what you want is a real skill.
I know I often "miss" Lay Waste as Karthus just to funnel into a position to get killed later on by my teammates. It's good fun when you learn that there actually is a psychological component to the game.

AmethystXIII

06-19-2011

I've never thought to use Maokai's ult to kill a creep wave. I think it would depend on your build, really. I personally have always tanked with him, with barely any AP (unless there is another tanky person on the team and I can grab Rod of Ages first).

I know I've done it during a late game when there is a huge creep wave at a tower or something, but it never really amounts to much damage to make a difference.

StealthyGunnar

06-19-2011

well the thing to remember is that releasing the ult does a minimum damage to all inside the circle.

paShadoWn

06-20-2011

Quote:
DoransTroll:
God forbid anyone tries to use his ult to FORCE a fight to happen where you will have an advantage.

Anyone can click at a character. But knowing how to force the person behind the screen to do what you want is a real skill.
I know I often "miss" Lay Waste as Karthus just to funnel into a position to get killed later on by my teammates. It's good fun when you learn that there actually is a psychological component to the game.

Yea i know you people. You miss your skillshots and stare on me like i MUST step into them.

JohnCataldo

06-20-2011

Quote:
GunnarOwnsJustin:
do u think that maokais ult is unbalanced? it is pretty good, but if it got a buff raising the damage lessened from 20% yo 25% i think it would make maokai way better and more appealing.

Yes, so would making him one-shot kill enemies. It would make maoki more appealing, but wouldn't necessarily make LoL a better game.

I think Maoki is fine as is. His ult isn't super strong and blatantly powerful like some tanks (Amumu), but his other stats and abilities are pretty good in comparison. Free mini wards, decent ranged harass, able to farm/push moderately well (especially for a tank, compared to some), and of course pretty decent CC, self healing, etc.

StealthyGunnar

06-20-2011

he is fairly good; i just dont understand y more ppl dont play him. he's just like udyr... i see a lot of junglers and few play Udyr, and i think udyr is great.

w3ak

06-20-2011

His ulti has a relatively short cooldown. If you need it to clear minions and don't think you will need to use it before it is up again, then do it.

As for how good his ulti is overall, it is very good. 20% reduction is huge and most of your team should be fighting inside of it. It has a relatively low mana cost, and the CD on it is fairly low. The fact that it does damage is just a bonus.

StealthyGunnar

06-21-2011

Quote:
w3ak:
His ulti has a relatively short cooldown. If you need it to clear minions and don't think you will need to use it before it is up again, then do it.

As for how good his ulti is overall, it is very good. 20% reduction is huge and most of your team should be fighting inside of it. It has a relatively low mana cost, and the CD on it is fairly low. The fact that it does damage is just a bonus.

ya i agree... imagine if a whole team could play the same char. 5 maokais, u take no damage with everyone's ult up. lmao

rogueshadows2

06-22-2011

Quote:
AmethystXIII:
I've never thought to use Maokai's ult to kill a creep wave. I think it would depend on your build, really. I personally have always tanked with him, with barely any AP (unless there is another tanky person on the team and I can grab Rod of Ages first).

I know I've done it during a late game when there is a huge creep wave at a tower or something, but it never really amounts to much damage to make a difference.

where as i play him as an almost exclusively AP enabler/tank/semi-assassin/wierdthing which is a lot of fun. E - W - Q and one of my teammate finishes them off. i don't tend to level or use his ult a lot except for large minion waves, mainly because i haven't figured out how to use it best yet. i would recommend people try the build though - the hilarity of a huge tree playing like an assassin is just great.

of course i really play him for the cute little exploding trees. (especially fun when the enemy keeps hiding in bushes - they wait around not farming and when i drop a grenade on them they bolt.)

Disclaimer: i am, admittedly, still a newb and not high level yet, so take this advice with a grain of salt.