Any tips for Yi?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tenant

Friend of Urf

04-01-2010

...y'know, besides to NOT use him?

He's very fun to play, but in general it's just hard staying alive. Any advice from someone with some Yi experience?

Praedoran

04-01-2010

Learn to use Alpha Strike to shake their focus. It makes you untargettable for a short time and gives the team a few extra seconds to beat on the enemy while they either waste time waiting for you to show up, or swap targets.

NullDragon

04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praedoran View Post
Learn to use Alpha Strike to shake their focus. It makes you untargettable for a short time and gives the team a few extra seconds to beat on the enemy while they either waste time waiting for you to show up, or swap targets.
Can also be useful for mindgames, as you could possibly show up anywhere. In early laning you can harass with it targetting creeps, and then target a hero after they get used to it.

wildfire393

04-01-2010

Save Highlander for after they blow an Exhaust/Blinding Dart/Snare on you, as it cleanses debuffs.
Take Cleanse as a summoner spell and pick up Mercury Treads for your boots (CC is your nemesis). Ghost helps as a summoner spell as well.
Invest in at least one high-HP item (Frozen Mallet is always nice, Banshee's Veil gives good spell resistance, Leviathan works if you're on a roll. Don't invest in something like Warmogg's though. Lifesteal gives you your regen, it's not worth spending the money on hp/5).
As for your other items, your two biggest priorities are the Last Whisper and the Infinity Edge, with a Vamp Scepter thrown in there somewhere (eventually turn this into either Stark's Fervor or Bloodthirster, depending on income and if anyone else has starks yet). If the game somehow goes on once you have Merc Treads/LW/IE/Lifesteal Item/HP Item, you can sell your Doran's for a Zeal into a Phantom Dancer or another survivability item (Guardian Angel is pretty amazing)
Start with a Doran's Shield for early advantage laning.
Level Alpha Strike as your #1 priority as it is your only source of AOE damage and your best tool for early game harassment and farming. If you Alpha with 3 or fewer creeps alive, you guarantee hits on the enemy champion(s). Alpha can also be used to escape fights or burn off seconds of debuffs.
Avoid putting points into Mediation unless you have to. It might give you the HP to stay in lane, but it will sap your MP very quickly forcing you out of lane anyways. It also takes points away from Wuju, delaying how long it takes for you to be a nightmare carry. Even late in the game it is rarely worth using, as a few seconds chopping creeps with lifesteal will give you much the same result, but if you can't afford to run away from your group and there are none nearby, don't forget you have it.
Run a Balanced Runebook/Mastery setup. Focus on MP/5, Cooldown Reduction, and Armor Penetration. I would suggest 11/0/19 (getting Crit Chance, CDR, and Armor Pen in Offense and Regen, EXP, more regen, monster buff duration, Move Speed, CDR in Utility). Your Runebook should probably be ArPen Marks, MP/5 Seals, CDR Glyphs, and Flat HP Quints.

Tenant

Friend of Urf

04-05-2010

Thanks for the tips, but I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I just can't get the hang of him; if I jump too soon, I die. If I jump too late, my team dies. And even when I do jump in late, I'll usually die anyway. Man, whoever said Yi was an easy champion to use can go jump in a lake.

But I'll just stick with it for now; I'm banking on the idea that playing Yi will discipline me to have better judgment in fights as anyone else. Maybe I'll have better luck if I don't solo queue...

Grimloe

04-05-2010

You pretty much have to get frozem mallet at some point, other than that you just have to learn when you can go in or not. Practice will be your friend.