LAN Option

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jake

07-27-2009

Offline LANs are out-dated. Even Starcraft 2 is taking this route. Developers want you playing on their servers, they also gives you incentives with online-only features on their servers.

bahdom

07-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagur View Post
but at some situations, LAN would be really great. if you have a bit ibgger LANparty, you might have a bit low internetconnection? or you might just want to lan somewhere where you dont have internet, and what about when your itnerne is down for some reason,or the servers, what are you sopposed to do then?^^ I at least hope there will be some sort of single player option with bots offline, so you dontalways need a internetconnection to even play with AI.
this

at my university, for example, all ports except 2 are blocked so I wouldnt have outbound/inbound access to the server. Unless the option to specify the port was available

Snipedown

07-27-2009

Offline LANs have become commercially outdated

Server-based games are used as a marketing tool. Rather than having people play on their own, they remain connected to the company by playing on their server. Even if the server itself is free, the fact that they offer paid incentives on the server will gain them money from people playing on the server. If less people played on the server, there wouldn't be as large of a player base that would feel the need to purchase the incentives.

There are limitations to online servers. As some have posted, if a person wishes to have a LAN party, if the location doesn't have good bandwidth, they won't have a very good connection to the server. And to be honest, though others may disagree, I find games much more enjoyable when I'm in a room with friends, playing head to head with them, though Ventrillo and other team communication helps with that... Perhaps LoL should release in-game voice support? That's an idea for another day, however.

Anyways, despite the limitations, this allows more people to have better-quality games (though the LAN support could be implemented separately from the server, allowing both gameplay methods to work), allows the whole community to interact easier, and of course, gives Riot a good chance at making the money they deserve... and need.

Volibar

Senior Product Manager

Follow Volibar on Twitter

07-27-2009
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Having everyone play on our servers ensures a few things: games are more secure, you earn XP and IP for playing games, you have access to your friends list, and stat tracking, etc.

We're working on making it easy as possible to create games with your friends - we want you too - but there are many reasons it makes more sense for us to have you play on PVP.net.

PS - Game is FREE! How sweet is that?

Fatman91

07-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volibar View Post
Having everyone play on our servers ensures a few things: games are more secure, you earn XP and IP for playing games, you have access to your friends list, and stat tracking, etc.

We're working on making it easy as possible to create games with your friends - we want you too - but there are many reasons it makes more sense for us to have you play on PVP.net.

PS - Game is FREE! How sweet is that?

Would it be possible to play against friends aswell, like if you are at a lan center and 10 people there want to do a 5v5 would they be able to play against each other guaranteed?

Zwag

Adjudicator

07-30-2009

Currently there is the practice game where you host a game just like in wc3. So yes you will be able to play an inhouse 5v5.