What kind of boots on your jungle Udyr? (Normal 5v5)

Mercury's 9 64.29%
Swiftness 2 14.29%
Mobility 0 0%
Ninja Tabi 3 21.43%
Berserker's 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Jungle Udyr- What kinds of boots?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kajex13

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2011

Almost every guide I see for Udyr wants Mercury's treads on him, and I get that tenacity adds to Udyr's ganking ability and magic resist provides much needed survivability, but I want to hear people's opinions as to why Mercury's treads are a better choice than boots of swiftness/mobility, ninja tabi, or berserker's greaves. Personally, I can see Udyr benefiting from ninja tabi greatly, especially if you put mastery points in blue and gain the 10% move speed on dodge. Does this move speed bonus provide an effect that compensates for the lack of tenacity that we experience by forgoing Mercury's treads?

Thanks

Eledhan

07-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeT218 View Post
Almost every guide I see for Udyr wants Mercury's treads on him, and I get that tenacity adds to Udyr's ganking ability and magic resist provides much needed survivability, but I want to hear people's opinions as to why Mercury's treads are a better choice than boots of swiftness/mobility, ninja tabi, or berserker's greaves. Personally, I can see Udyr benefiting from ninja tabi greatly, especially if you put mastery points in blue and gain the 10% move speed on dodge. Does this move speed bonus provide an effect that compensates for the lack of tenacity that we experience by forgoing Mercury's treads?

Thanks
Well, it's entirely dependent on your opponent's team, but I like to go with Ninja Tabi.

The reasoning behind this is that I'm using dodge Seals, dodge masteries, and the move speed from dodging mastery. This grants me some pretty significant move speed in fights, and once late game shows up, I'm able to avoid about 30% of enemy auto attacker's damage.

The reason this is worth trading the Treads for is because now you can focus more on Magic Resist instead of Armor...because you've already reduced the damage you take by about 30%, you don't need armor that much.

This ultimately allows you to build other defensive items instead (such as Health) of spending it on armor.

I like to either get Banshee's Veil or QSS to make up for the lack of Treads, but if the other team only has like 1-2 hard CC, it's just not worth it to get Treads over Tabi on a champ like Udyr who can stack dodge so high.

Kajex13

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2011

I like your thinking. It's difficult to build MR, armor, and health on udyr and then also get your ganking ability up to a good level too. So your advice is to go dodge quints, dodge boots, dodge masteries, and then stack MR, health, and gankability, ignoring huge armor items. I like it. Could you post a build you like to follow?

Anyone else? Possibly any mercury's users?

Dane Dread

07-29-2011

I use merc treads on virtually every champion. Hard CC is just to prevalent currently to miss out on the 35% tenacity. As you already stated the early MR is also key to survivability. Most of the scary damage early game is magic while AD champs typically don't become big threats until later in the game once they've acquired some items. So for me when building some tank MR first, AR later. Merc treads just provides so much of what you need defensively for those mid game fights to pass up.

I do see Udyr as one of those champs where you might want ninja tabi if you get a situation where there isn't a lot of cc on the enemy team. That doesn't occur very often. I'm by no means pro at Udyr. I've tried to play him but a complete lack of any ranged ability makes him frustrating for me.

As for boots of swiftness, I never buy them. If I need ludicrous speed, I'd rather take merc treads and then a zeal or FON to further boost speed. Boots are an item type that carry hard to acquire bonuses like tenacity and dodge. I don't want to pass those up for a bit extra move speed.

Cenerae

07-29-2011

Udyr's purely a melee distance champ. The more time you spent stunned/snared/etc, the more time you take to reach your victim for that bear stun and consequent beatdown.

I can see a case for ninja tabi vs. a primarily melee enemy team, but 95% of the time I'd use merc treads on him. All the other boot options are terrible.

Oman0

07-29-2011

Udyrs #1 weakness is kiting. This makes the choice rather obvious. Although Ninja Tabi are indeed a feasible option, keep in mind that the #1 ranged AD counter pick to Udyr WILL be Ashe. And you definitely need Merc Treads to keep up with that. Screw the armor from Tabi, you want that Randuins active on Ashe anyways (no speed, no kite).

Eledhan

07-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeT218 View Post
I like your thinking. It's difficult to build MR, armor, and health on udyr and then also get your ganking ability up to a good level too. So your advice is to go dodge quints, dodge boots, dodge masteries, and then stack MR, health, and gankability, ignoring huge armor items. I like it. Could you post a build you like to follow?
Sure thing!

I actually have an entire guide to follow for Udyr, called [Guide] Suddenly...a WILD UDYR appeared!

You can find it here:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=967802

If you just want an item build, check out the bottom of the 3rd post.

Quote:
Anyone else? Possibly any mercury's users?
I used to use Merc Treads, but when I realized I could skip on Armor purchases until very late game, when I will typically get an Atma's, I started using Tabi, then stacking MR with things like QSS (it works better than Tenacity if you use it correctly).

Carados

07-29-2011

You're melee.

michelada

07-29-2011

situaational but most of the time mercury threads

Eledhan

07-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
You're melee.
So?

One of the best players in the game (Elementz) uses Tabi...

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...e-jungle-98308