Ranjin, The Master of Defense. (counter aoe ult champion) REMADE!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mushubaby

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2013

Lore:
ranjin grew up in a peaceful farming villiage in ionia. he was 6 years old when noxus invaded. while his father had died trying to fend off to noxians at the front lines, ranjins mother and older sister hid ranjin inside a statue of the goddess in their home so that he would remain safe, telling him to stay hidden no matter what happens. ranjin heard their screams as they were beaten and raped before being killed by noxian soldiers. since that day, ranjin had been plagued by guilt and sadness at being unable to protect the ones he loved, and had vowed silently to avenge the deaths of his family members by protecting other innocent people, as he was protected, for he understood that this is what his family would have wanted. he trained himself merclessly in the defensive techniques he found accross ionia, becoming a true master of protecting himself and others, such that his adversaries often killed themselves trying to break through his defences. after saving countless lives from agressors, he eventually joined the league of leagends so that he could preseve peace in valoran.

Appearance:
ranjin is 8 feet tall. he is tanned and muscular. the lower part of his face is covered by a cloth and has long spikey green hair. he is not wearing a shirt and is body is laced with battle scars. he looks like he's taken a lot of punishment.

Concept:
ranjin is the ultimate support tank. although none of his abilities damage his opponents directly, he scales so well with defensive items that he can often carry games by being so supportive and tanky. ranjin is an excellent anti-assasin and counter to burst aoe champions.

Resource:
ranjin uses a unique resource called defensive powers which he uses to cast his abilities. unlike mana, ranjin will still be able to cast his abilities even if the cost to his defensive powers exceeds that of his current supply of defensive powers. he generates defensive powers equal to 30 percent of the damage he takes before mitigation from resistances. ranjin has a base amount of defensive powers and adds 30 percent of the health and mana he aquires from items to his maximum defensive powers.

Abilities:

Immovable Object: (innate passive)

ranjin converts all of the defensive powers he spends into a temporary shield of earth that absorbs damage. each instance of this effect is applied separately and lasts for 3 seconds, while the shield persists ranjin cannot be moved by enemy displacement abilities and doesn't run away when feared.

Protectors Anguish: Q

when cast, ranjin surrounds himself in fire chakra, taking 5/10/15/20/25 percent more damage and reterns 10/20/30/40/50 percent of the total damage he takes to the attacker as its original damage type. this damage applies the attackers armor and magic penetration and not ranjins. if the attacker deals true damage, this ability will return true damage as well. this effect lasts 3 seconds.

if this ability is cast on an ally, ranjin will also guard the ally for the effects duration. he will teleport to the ally whenever the ally is about to take damage from an attack or ability that can be blocked by spell shields and absorbs all the damage and spell effects that would have been dealt to the ally. this means that if the ally is hit by an aoe spell, ranjin will take damage from the spell twice.

costs 70 + 30 defensive powers per rank.
has a cool down of 10 seconds.
the cool down is bypassed if ranjin meets the defensive power cost.
casting this spell multiple times will not increase its effect, it will only refresh its duration.

ranjin is able to move through allis as long as he has at least 1 point in this ability.

Defenders Resolve: W

ranjin imbues himself with green life energy, increasing his armor and magic resist by 20/30/40/50/60 percent for 5 seconds. additionally, ranjins' allies are healed for 100% of the damage ranjin absorbs by this ability. ranjin does not get healed by this effect.

costs 80 + 40 defensive powers per rank.
has a cool down of 12 seconds.
the cool down is bypassed if ranjin meets the defensive power cost.
casting this spell multiple times does not increase its effect, it only refreshes the duration.

Force of Will: E
ranjin unleashes a powerful spinning roundhouse kick in a direction that blasts enemies in front of him with an expanding cyclone that slows them by 20/40/50/60/70 percent for 3 seconds and pushes them aside. the gust also clears nearby allays of crowd control and impairing effects.

costs 80 + 30 defensive powers per rank.
has a cool down of 10 seconds.
the cool down is halved if ranjin meets the defensive power cost.

Heroes Remorse: R

ranjin summons a massive pillar of water in the image of a wale at a target location, displacing all enemies around the area and blocking enemy skillshots while allowing allais to pass through unhindered. the wale crashes down after 1 second, spashing water in a wide aoe that knocks enemies back, and slows enemy movements by 50/60/70 percent for 4 seconds and increases the damage they take by 20/30/40 percent for the effect duration.

costs no defensive powers.

the cool down is always 110 seconds.

Quotes

"a shield is less than useless if it is only used to protect one person"

when being attacked:

"your attacks are pathetic"

"not even a scratch"

when moving:

"to protect the innocent!"

"my destiny is clear"

"stealthy, like a tortoise"

TheOneAndOnly187

04-12-2013

um....so I like where you were going with this champ but i think there are some flaws in your idea, that you can definitely improve on to make this a solid champ, I'll break it down into sections for each of his abilities.

Defensive Powers
His resource system seems...unnecessarily complex. It discourages him from stacking health (a lower Defensive power pool would make him able to get a full bar and spam him abilities more) and as a tank (im guessing is what you wanted with his design) this seems counter-intuitive. Maybe instead of costing %'s of his maximum DP his spells should cost a fixed amount? that way stacking health can be encouraged. Furthermore, paying an ability cost using a resource (like the majority of champions are required to do) shouldn't be rewarded by granting full CDR for a skill. Yes, his abilities cost large chunks of this resource, but with a fairly simple way to charge it, that is hard to slow the rate of charge (getting attacked in a large fight can keep it stacked indefinitely) this makes his cool-downs superfluous at best. When creating a new resource system try to think of ways the resource can benefit you (as opposed to using another system) what your new system provides in terms of counterplay (what can the enemies do to exploit your resource or lack-there-of) and why this resource system works the way it does. Expending energy/mana on using skills is used to balance a skill. When a skill has a cost you can ramp up the power because the skill has other considerations. Being solely Cooldown based you need to think of other ways players can take advantage of openings and weaknesses to your champion.

Instead of granting full cooldowns why not enhance the ability in some way? maybe longer durations or more potency when the costs are met? Or partial CDR (20% ~50% maybe?)

Passive: Immovable Object
When using his passive, how much of it is converted into a shield? 100% of what is spent or only a percent of how much he uses? Does this passive have a cooldown? if so how long? When using multiple abilities does the shield keep stacking? do stacks have diminished returns? i.e. using one ability gives 100% the second within 3 seconds gives 50% of the cost as shield etc etc... A little clarity to how this passive works would be great.

Having a shield AND not being able to be displaced is also...very strong and I would be wary of having both of these on a passive. Granting a shield on a tank is one thing, but not being able to apply some forms of CC on them is another. This passive at the moment is very strong even if you make the shield component incredibly weak. Any form of anti-CC in the game generally comes with some sort of catch (Irelia's passive works better in larger teamfights where she has more threat of being CC'd, Morgana's shield can be destroyed or waited out, Olaf's is on a high Cooldown, Alistar only breaks from current etc etc...). I like that it is only displacements (can still be stunned/rooted/slowed) but that is still strong, maybe it can only apply when his Passive shield is up? that would cause some decent counterplay and can be balanced with his shield strength.

Skill 1, Protector's Anguish Q
I like the double edged sword concept, however, even without the full CDR (again, you should think about getting rid of this or perhaps making it 50% CDR on abilities) a 4 second duration for a damage reflection and a 10 second cooldown are strong (with Max CDR [though stacking CDR seems silly on this champ at the moment] 10 seconds becomes 6 seconds). Maybe instead you can bring down the duration to 3 seconds and bring the cooldown up to 12 seconds. Now you have more choices to make then just using the skill whenever it is up. With higher risks you can make the ability more potent by bringing the increased damage you take down to 20% at max rank while simultaneously bringing up the amount of damage enemies receive to 60% (though i think 50% damage reflection is already strong enough ~.^)

I do like the passive, bypass friendly units innate passive on this skill though.

Skill 2, Defender's Resolve W
Again, having no cooldown on this would be INCREDIBLY strong, but for more reasons than on his Q. Giving any champion the ability to grant free defensive stats is always a thin line to walk on, because too much free defensive(or offensive too for that matter) can be dangerous and cause alot of snowballing issues. Think about the most recent nerfs to Taric and Jarvan IV. Both got the amount of armor they grant to teammates reduced (at super early levels for Taric anyway). When these bonuses are based off the tank then that can make it even scarier. Since you will want to stack alot of resists on Ranjin anyway, giving him the ability to give a portion of this to his allies can be scary, and even more so when he can heal his allies by the full amount of damage he takes. This ability has to be toned down along with the CDR. This would make his team pretty unstoppable, even if they were behind. I would suggest taking the% Armor/MR away and giving only a flat amount of EITHER armor OR magic resist. Then only heal for a portion of the damage that he receives. This way you could also let Ranjin get healed by it too if you wanted (of course you can keep the power ramped up a little and keep the self-heal component out).

Skill 3, Force of Will E
First off:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/champi...dark_sovereign - take a look at her W ~.^, think about a rename. secondly, this ability is probably the best one you've got, save for the full cleanse of CC effects on the cone. Unless the cone is very narrow/small, the 100 CDR (again with this, sorry, its the first issue you should address), it is a little too strong. Note back to earlier when i talked about the counterplay of skills that reduce/heal CC. Maybe this could cleanse of certain crowd controls but not all, OR maybe it can cleanse the first champion hit? If you wanted to add some interesting counterplay you could make it a single target ability, that way you had to choose, either impair and CC an enemy or Help one of your allies in need. This way you could bring up the damage on the enemy, increase the range and keep the full CC cleanse. An AoE cleanse in and of itself is SUPER strong.

Ultimate: Hero's Remorse R
I actually really like this ability, I like the ability to block skill shots with it's activation and an ultimate that doesn't deal damage (from what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong) but can also support the team like this sounds awesome. The ONLY thing i would change is bringing down the damage amplification on the enemy team. 60% extra damage is crazy. Think about AD carries who can 4 shot some squishier champs, that 4-shot just became a 2-shot . Bringing it down to 20/25/30% and the duration to 4 seconds would still be an amazingly strong skill for a team.

All in all, I like your vision for this champ, Mostly I would work on that resource system passive for 100% CDR. Bringing some of the numbers up and down is something you can just tink around with. Some clarity here and there would be nice, but overall nice job. Bump.

Mushubaby

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2013

thank you! i really like your suggestions and i agree with them 100%

Mushubaby

04-12-2013

i just did some editing.

TheOneAndOnly187

04-12-2013

I like your edits, your champ looks like its coming along promisingly, good work and good luck moving forward

TeraGaze

04-13-2013

So im a little confused about the way he spends "Mana" ( im using mana as a substitute for defense energy.) How does it work and how is it regenerated?

Over all i like the champion idea just needs a little tweeks.

Mushubaby

04-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness1354 View Post
So im a little confused about the way he spends "Mana" ( im using mana as a substitute for defense energy.) How does it work and how is it regenerated?

Over all i like the champion idea just needs a little tweeks.
it doesn't degenerate, and it is only generated when he takes damage. 30 percent of the damage he takes is added to his defensive powers.