#1 Method of Escaping ELO Hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Foxley

Senior Member

06-11-2011

There should be an ELO reset request feature that someone can use every once in awhile. Maybe a few weeks or a month. Wipes all their ranked stats.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bálsagna

Senior Member

06-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphier View Post
Every game is winnable, it's just more improbable sometimes

Yes I get what you're saying, and I acknowledge that there are games where you have a 90% chance of losing and there's not much you can do. It still doesn't mean you shouldn't do everything in your power to make the 10% occur, no matter how stacked the odds are. Every time you win games you should not have won you get tons better. Snowballing is an important factor in this game, a good early game translates into a good late game. Because of this, it is ridiculously important to learn to stop snowballs and turn the tide in your favour. It's not a skill that you will only need in ELO Hell, its a skill that will be with you even if you play in Dreamhack.



There's absolutely nothing you can do to stop AFK's and women from distracting your team mates, so why try? If you're playing one man down, suck it up, the only way you're going to get out is if you play incredibly. And that's what it takes. If you don't win, blame yourself for not playing at HotShotGG's level. If you did, you could have won that 4 vs 5. When you push yourself to play better, you will stop caring about your team mates doing stupid ****, because you know you can handle it.

And yes, you can carry with Sona and Soraka, but I only suggest you do it with the proper line up. If your team has a strong farm dependant hero like Tryndamere, you increase your chances of winning by putting a healer next to him and making sure he doesn't screw up. Much better than picking Vlad and being forced to dual lane in my opinion. And if you play support learn to ward and counter ward, the sight advantage is what's going to win you the game, because everyone else is like you, who doesn't buy wards in low ELO. I will admit that it's much riskier than carrying with ad or ap carry, but as long as your early game doesn't go terribly wrong you have a good shot.



I know about the snowball effect, and I know it is harsh.

But when one guy on your team goes 0-5 early game, do you ever stop and ask yourself "Am I better than the guy who is getting fed?". Seriously, take a look at his item build and his play style for a while. If your answer is yes, then why aren't you dominating your lane 5-0.

I asked myself that. I asked myself, why can't I go flat AD runes, first blood my opponent and feed off him every game. I asked myself, "If I am playing at such a low level, why can't I kill their jungler at level 1 with Eve or Shaco?". I asked myself "If no one wards, why can't I just steal dragon by rushing wriggles without boots and killing it before the enemy jungler gets theirs". There is opportunity all over the map in ELO Hell.

The more you fall in rating, the more opportunities open up. You play against bigger ******s. Find something to exploit (there are countless, I assure you). There's always something you haven't tried, which could easily get you out of ELO hell, it's up to you to discover it.



Always love people winning 4 v 5's. It just goes to show that if you really want it, it can be done. Good job.



Yes it is difficult, but it's quite a worthy challenge. I really improved my game a lot in ELO hell, and once I got out I quickly jumped to 1400's. I can reach 1500's with a few more games, just that I'm having an exam right now.

I've heard the same story from friends. If you really do carry yourself out of ELO hell, you usually jump a few ELO brackets because you had to go through so much **** just to get out.
First of all, I buy wards all the time for my lanes so please don't point something you don't know, out.

Anyways, like I said, I agree with your view point, and I can be down 3v5, I still try my ****est to win, but the problem is still there. You're playing down a guy or 2, or someone is banging someone while trying to play... Or you get someone umad and starts feeding

Try your best, that's great, that's what a lot of us 'lower' elo (which I'm not, just only in Solo Q. Everything else is fine) do. But again, the point is, you still lose and they merely want to get into the range where it's not COMMON

I counted out of 10 ranked games, that 7 had a leaver or an AFK or a Feeder on one or the others team. (I believe 4 of them were on my team if I recall)

I'm not saying "Don't try your best or blame yourself" My point is it won't matter. You're improving your game only, which a lot of people believe that they aren't the problem.

The reason why I'm in low elo on Solo Q is because when ranked started out, I played like 6 games and didn't do to well, it was when I was playing LoL off and on anyways.

Now that life was settled in and this is the only game I play, I played Normal forever, have over 750+ wins (which isn't bad) and you can view my stats, they aren't bad. Go back to Ranked play with a team, get to 1500-1600's... cool

Play Solo Q. I can't get out.


Now, if everyone followed your 'theory' that would be great and dandy, but too bad, they won't. At the lower tiers, you will ALWAYS get someone to do something Durpish

That is all


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1a420802574b139f7409f

Senior Member

06-12-2011

I came off probably harsher than I should. I mean, your right in the sense that this is how players should behave. Your wrong in the sense that this will have much effect on your Elo.

In fact, almost all the top players are massive ass-holes. Watch their streams, play with them, whatever. I can assure their mentality is pretty much the exact opposite of this. Not saying this proves your wrong necessarily, but it proves your not right.

The uninformed part I stand by. You claim to that you've played in Elo Hell yet spout a pretty naive philosophy about how to deal with it. If you were there, you weren't there long, you probably dropped to 1100 in the first few games, than hit 1400 and never looked back. I have no real idea, I didn't check your account. Maybe you've never even played ranked. I'm just basing that on what you say.

The more you play there the more you understand that the real way to get out is a combination of massive amounts of luck, being a decent player, and more luck.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DuffTime

Senior Member

06-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphier View Post
Every game is winnable, it's just more improbable sometimes

Yes I get what you're saying, and I acknowledge that there are games where you have a 90% chance of losing and there's not much you can do. It still doesn't mean you shouldn't do everything in your power to make the 10% occur, no matter how stacked the odds are. Every time you win games you should not have won you get tons better. Snowballing is an important factor in this game, a good early game translates into a good late game. Because of this, it is ridiculously important to learn to stop snowballs and turn the tide in your favour. It's not a skill that you will only need in ELO Hell, its a skill that will be with you even if you play in Dreamhack.



There's absolutely nothing you can do to stop AFK's and women from distracting your team mates, so why try? If you're playing one man down, suck it up, the only way you're going to get out is if you play incredibly. And that's what it takes. If you don't win, blame yourself for not playing at HotShotGG's level. If you did, you could have won that 4 vs 5. When you push yourself to play better, you will stop caring about your team mates doing stupid ****, because you know you can handle it.

And yes, you can carry with Sona and Soraka, but I only suggest you do it with the proper line up. If your team has a strong farm dependant hero like Tryndamere, you increase your chances of winning by putting a healer next to him and making sure he doesn't screw up. Much better than picking Vlad and being forced to dual lane in my opinion. And if you play support learn to ward and counter ward, the sight advantage is what's going to win you the game, because everyone else is like you, who doesn't buy wards in low ELO. I will admit that it's much riskier than carrying with ad or ap carry, but as long as your early game doesn't go terribly wrong you have a good shot.



I know about the snowball effect, and I know it is harsh.

But when one guy on your team goes 0-5 early game, do you ever stop and ask yourself "Am I better than the guy who is getting fed?". Seriously, take a look at his item build and his play style for a while. If your answer is yes, then why aren't you dominating your lane 5-0.

I asked myself that. I asked myself, why can't I go flat AD runes, first blood my opponent and feed off him every game. I asked myself, "If I am playing at such a low level, why can't I kill their jungler at level 1 with Eve or Shaco?". I asked myself "If no one wards, why can't I just steal dragon by rushing wriggles without boots and killing it before the enemy jungler gets theirs". There is opportunity all over the map in ELO Hell.

The more you fall in rating, the more opportunities open up. You play against bigger ******s. Find something to exploit (there are countless, I assure you). There's always something you haven't tried, which could easily get you out of ELO hell, it's up to you to discover it.



Always love people winning 4 v 5's. It just goes to show that if you really want it, it can be done. Good job.



Yes it is difficult, but it's quite a worthy challenge. I really improved my game a lot in ELO hell, and once I got out I quickly jumped to 1400's. I can reach 1500's with a few more games, just that I'm having an exam right now.

I've heard the same story from friends. If you really do carry yourself out of ELO hell, you usually jump a few ELO brackets because you had to go through so much **** just to get out.
You da man, your posts is right on the money.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ląmb

Senior Member

06-12-2011

I agree and disagree. A lot of unskillful players do blame their elo or out-come of the game on "elo hell". But it does exist.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DuffTime

Senior Member

06-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather007 View Post
First of all, I buy wards all the time for my lanes so please don't point something you don't know, out.

Anyways, like I said, I agree with your view point, and I can be down 3v5, I still try my ****est to win, but the problem is still there. You're playing down a guy or 2, or someone is banging someone while trying to play... Or you get someone umad and starts feeding

Try your best, that's great, that's what a lot of us 'lower' elo (which I'm not, just only in Solo Q. Everything else is fine) do. But again, the point is, you still lose and they merely want to get into the range where it's not COMMON

I counted out of 10 ranked games, that 7 had a leaver or an AFK or a Feeder on one or the others team. (I believe 4 of them were on my team if I recall)

I'm not saying "Don't try your best or blame yourself" My point is it won't matter. You're improving your game only, which a lot of people believe that they aren't the problem.

The reason why I'm in low elo on Solo Q is because when ranked started out, I played like 6 games and didn't do to well, it was when I was playing LoL off and on anyways.

Now that life was settled in and this is the only game I play, I played Normal forever, have over 750+ wins (which isn't bad) and you can view my stats, they aren't bad. Go back to Ranked play with a team, get to 1500-1600's... cool

Play Solo Q. I can't get out.


Now, if everyone followed your 'theory' that would be great and dandy, but too bad, they won't. At the lower tiers, you will ALWAYS get someone to do something Durpish

That is all
Wards aren't just for laning phase.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CrazyPoopFace

Member

06-13-2011

i just play shen for the road to victory.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SallySimple

Senior Member

06-14-2011

This is good advice, but I hope the OP can also acknowledge that its not that simple to get out of Elo hell. This is more like ethical/self improvement advice than anything.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yenn

Senior Member

06-14-2011

Implying that you can play better and win a game that was lost from the start is ridiculous and wrong.

Your mid constantly pushes and goes 0-3. Refuses to swap lanes. Nobody can help him with a gank because he keeps pushing the wave. The only choice you have is to sit in the lane with him, resulting in both of you losing because you'll be so far behind on EXP. There is nothing you can do better to turn the game around, in this case.

Saying you can do better to win only applies once you're past the rating where nobody is garbage (~1700+). Below 1700, you're just rolling dice and hoping you get a good team and nobody feeds.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Root and Shaw

Senior Member

06-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenn View Post
Implying that you can play better and win a game that was lost from the start is ridiculous and wrong.

Your mid constantly pushes and goes 0-3. Refuses to swap lanes. Nobody can help him with a gank because he keeps pushing the wave. The only choice you have is to sit in the lane with him, resulting in both of you losing because you'll be so far behind on EXP. There is nothing you can do better to turn the game around, in this case.

Saying you can do better to win only applies once you're past the rating where nobody is garbage (~1700+). Below 1700, you're just rolling dice and hoping you get a good team and nobody feeds.
It can be done

When normal mm was disabled I got to play with a 2k elo player.

If the guy I played with can carry 3 feeders, go 40-5, AND stretch the game to 45 minutes then what is the problem here? It has been proven over and over that high elo players can "carry" themselves out of "elo hell." I'm not high myself but I accept that I have flaws in my gameplay that I need to fix. Also ask yourself this, "Am I really skilled enough to be in the top 3% of players?" if you say no then you are most likely at your eloo.