#1 Method of Escaping ELO Hell

12345678 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nerek

Senior Member

06-11-2011

+1 to the OP tired of hearing "I should be a 1500 player but I'm at 800 elo because all my teamates suck"

The other team is at the same elo as you, if you find a weak player, take advantage of him, with ganks. If the other team has a player that is doing very well, find his weakness, there's a reason hes in the same elo as everyone else, use whatever you see him doing wrong against him, if that means bringing 3-4 people to gank him every 2 minutes then do it.

Also, warding objectives is super important, I've seen a lot of my friends play under 1200 elo games, and junglers try to solo dragon all the time. If dragon is warded you get a free kill on the jungler and a free double buff. Knowing the spawn timers on buffs can be very helpful. Blue and Red buff have 5 minute respawn dragon has 6 and nashor 7.

Easy way to abuse junglers is to ward their blue at about 6:30 since if you start at blue it usually dies around 2:10-2:15 meaning it will respawn at about 7:10, having that ward will provide an easy kill for your team and put their jungler in a really bad mood.

In any elo players have weaknesses, however in low elo there are quite a few more weak spots in the game, try to see what your opponents are doing wrong and do everything you can to abuse it is very helpful, but another important thing is looking critically at yourself. What are you doing wrong in fights, what are you bad at, how is the other team abusing you?

Play to your strengths and find your opponents weaknesses and you'll find youself out of elo hell in no time.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bálsagna

Senior Member

06-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerek View Post
+1 to the OP tired of hearing "I should be a 1500 player but I'm at 800 elo because all my teamates suck"

The other team is at the same elo as you, if you find a weak player, take advantage of him, with ganks. If the other team has a player that is doing very well, find his weakness, there's a reason hes in the same elo as everyone else, use whatever you see him doing wrong against him, if that means bringing 3-4 people to gank him every 2 minutes then do it.

Also, warding objectives is super important, I've seen a lot of my friends play under 1200 elo games, and junglers try to solo dragon all the time. If dragon is warded you get a free kill on the jungler and a free double buff. Knowing the spawn timers on buffs can be very helpful. Blue and Red buff have 5 minute respawn dragon has 6 and nashor 7.

Easy way to abuse junglers is to ward their blue at about 6:30 since if you start at blue it usually dies around 2:10-2:15 meaning it will respawn at about 7:10, having that ward will provide an easy kill for your team and put their jungler in a really bad mood.



In any elo players have weaknesses, however in low elo there are quite a few more weak spots in the game, try to see what your opponents are doing wrong and do everything you can to abuse it is very helpful, but another important thing is looking critically at yourself. What are you doing wrong in fights, what are you bad at, how is the other team abusing you?

Play to your strengths and find your opponents weaknesses and you'll find youself out of elo hell in no time.

Great advice but you're not getting it...The probelm is gettin out of the low elo threshold.
In the majority of the games you play in "elo hell" you are put against some durps and win and then put with durps and lose. You can improve your play and maybe you were a durp.

But the problem is still there. No matter what YOU do. Something always comes up. Not saying it doesn't happen in higher elo its just not as common.

Just like riot keeping only 30s in ranked. They found that sub 30's were problamatic. More afks more leavers etc etc.

That is same as low elo. You can improve your game all you want but one durp or an afk that is common can ruin your game.

If you push towers and try and carry your team and you. Yourself do really well and you lose? You are bad????? You did bad???? Or was it the team???

It was the team which is composed of those types or players.


My only advice to get out of eli hell is find a preme team to play with and see what your rating is


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pyroxite

Senior Member

06-11-2011

I support this message in general. It's worth remembering, though, that the vast majority of LoL players sit below 1400 elo and belong there. Even if everyone started playing better, elo is just a measure of your skill versus the playerbase at large.

If you want to escape ELO hell, start doing the tribune every day.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Descyphal

Senior Member

06-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroxite View Post
I support this message in general. It's worth remembering, though, that the vast majority of LoL players sit below 1400 elo and belong there. Even if everyone started playing better, elo is just a measure of your skill versus the playerbase at large.

If you want to escape ELO hell, start doing the tribune every day.
Fail.
Elo is not a measure of skill, in any sense of the word.
It's a measure of wins and losses.
Because an actual Elo ratings system, is meant for 1v1. Thereby, not measuring skill in LoL, but measuring the effort of winning and losing.

Which is not an accurate method of gauging individuals. Ergo, it's broken. Ergo, it's in need of a reshifting of the playerbase.

Ipso Facto, when something that determines positions is a broken method, than the results will also be wrong.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bálsagna

Senior Member

06-11-2011

Here is a good point. My solo q is around 1000.

My buddy I play with his solo q is around 1500. When we play together I consecutivelt do more then him. In the team.

Tank better. Carry harder. Ward more often etc etc.

Yet..... he is not in elo hell and I am. Oh... I even let him play on my account to prove it... yulp he said same thing. Why so durp he said.

There is a problem


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raaverok

Junior Member

06-11-2011

I'm from the european server but I just had to create an account on US server to thank the OP for this thread. I was browsing through the forums and just started reading this thread. At first I was a little sceptic, like some other posters. Then I started a duoQ with a buddy of mine and ofcourse we had an MF that wanted to surrender at 20. Started running around everywhere and dying every time. The score was 17/28 or something like that, ofcourse in favour of the enemy.

Then I started acting like a captain of the team, recognising opportunities for kills and dragons and towers, pinging everything I saw, telling the team everything they had to care for etc. We stole a baron thanks to us walking as a 4 man squad and ww trying to solo it, like he had done before. Thanks to some of the tips here, we really WERE able to win a 4v5. I think people that don't agree with this thread just don't have enough spirit anymore to carry on, just because they THINK they can't win.

You can win, trust me, trust the OP too.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bálsagna

Senior Member

06-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by illRu View Post
I'm from the european server but I just had to create an account on US server to thank the OP for this thread. I was browsing through the forums and just started reading this thread. At first I was a little sceptic, like some other posters. Then I started a duoQ with a buddy of mine and ofcourse we had an MF that wanted to surrender at 20. Started running around everywhere and dying every time. The score was 17/28 or something like that, ofcourse in favour of the enemy.

Then I started acting like a captain of the team, recognising opportunities for kills and dragons and towers, pinging everything I saw, telling the team everything they had to care for etc. We stole a baron thanks to us walking as a 4 man squad and ww trying to solo it, like he had done before. Thanks to some of the tips here, we really WERE able to win a 4v5. I think people that don't agree with this thread just don't have enough spirit anymore to carry on, just because they THINK they can't win.

You can win, trust me, trust the OP too.
Never said you can't win. You will just lose a couple games and win a couple games, and lose a couple more games

And then you don't get anywhere

And then you get people that AFK, that quit and rage, that keep DC'ing. That AFK as mord because team wouldn't let him solo etc etc etc


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raaverok

Junior Member

06-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather007 View Post
Never said you can't win. You will just lose a couple games and win a couple games, and lose a couple more games

And then you don't get anywhere

And then you get people that AFK, that quit and rage, that keep DC'ing. That AFK as mord because team wouldn't let him solo etc etc etc
People can be manipulated. If you go start spamming 'REPORT *leaver*' in all, then they will not come back. This MF started with going afk. Sion started telling the enemy to report mf, but I told him to stop flaming. I also told mf that. Then she at least started to do some afk farming. And she stopped flaming too. This will of course depend on the person you're playing with, but acting like a leaderfigure and being objective and not a ***** to the afker will work too. Just keep thinking positive, will help a lot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Starshard

Senior Member

06-11-2011

The only way to get out of ELO Hell is to not get into ELO Hell. Getting out of ELO Hell is difficult at best once you've slipped into it. Play your strongest champ or dual que from the start to raise your ELO over 1300 so you don't slip below 1200. It's like drowning; it gets harder and harder to catch your breath once you start dipping under 1200. If you under 1200, then grind your best champ till you get over 1200 again. Yes, I said "grind" ELO.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zyphier

Senior Member

06-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Culpa View Post
While I mostly agree with your viewpoint and the original post, I think you're wrong when you say that every game is winnable. No one is perfect and you can always play better than you did, yes. But sometimes those games come along where the skill levels of the teams are so imbalanced that it would be silly to suggest that you can carry everything.

Again, it's always good to look at your mistakes so you can learn from them and win those games that are not quite so impossible. But a game where someone AFKs, dc's, and their vayne is fed 14 kills at the 10 minute mark? Yeah, don't be surprised if that one doesn't work out.

On a final note, I wish more people realized that these bad players somehow surface at every Elo. You all say to watch high level streams (which I do of course). Surely you've seen those games where people troll or are just plain awful? If it can happen at 2000+ and a top 10 LoL player can't carry the game, why would a 1400 player be able to? There's an element of luck to this game's matchmaking, no matter how high the Elo ladder you climb. Anyone who disagrees doesn't watch enough 2k+ streams. There's no way to permanently escape feeders.


TL;DR: agree with the OP's point of view, but don't be surprised when you can't win every game no matter how many mistakes you correct.
Every game is winnable, it's just more improbable sometimes

Yes I get what you're saying, and I acknowledge that there are games where you have a 90% chance of losing and there's not much you can do. It still doesn't mean you shouldn't do everything in your power to make the 10% occur, no matter how stacked the odds are. Every time you win games you should not have won you get tons better. Snowballing is an important factor in this game, a good early game translates into a good late game. Because of this, it is ridiculously important to learn to stop snowballs and turn the tide in your favour. It's not a skill that you will only need in ELO Hell, its a skill that will be with you even if you play in Dreamhack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather007
I will have to agree with this and his point of view. But here is another 0.02c thrown into the mix

So what if you're right, don't get distracted by woman, don't do this, don't do that.

But what if Bob gives in to the woman? You lose -- and this happens in the lower Elo way too often.

This would all be find and dandy and very theoretical..... if everyone did.... just that. But you don't, and as stated, you get the DC's, you get the AFK's, you get the woman wanting you for your wildest dreams (yeah, I keep going t here)

And you expect us to carry as a Sona/Soraka??? no ty come again
There's absolutely nothing you can do to stop AFK's and women from distracting your team mates, so why try? If you're playing one man down, suck it up, the only way you're going to get out is if you play incredibly. And that's what it takes. If you don't win, blame yourself for not playing at HotShotGG's level. If you did, you could have won that 4 vs 5. When you push yourself to play better, you will stop caring about your team mates doing stupid ****, because you know you can handle it.

And yes, you can carry with Sona and Soraka, but I only suggest you do it with the proper line up. If your team has a strong farm dependant hero like Tryndamere, you increase your chances of winning by putting a healer next to him and making sure he doesn't screw up. Much better than picking Vlad and being forced to dual lane in my opinion. And if you play support learn to ward and counter ward, the sight advantage is what's going to win you the game, because everyone else is like you, who doesn't buy wards in low ELO. I will admit that it's much riskier than carrying with ad or ap carry, but as long as your early game doesn't go terribly wrong you have a good shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinate
Indeed. The thing is, what most people are forgetting is this, too:

The lower you go - the higher the chance of all of the worst case scenarios.
Once you lose, it's a snowball effect. Lose once. Head to the lower spectrum of bads. Possibly lose again, and go lower.
Win once. Lose again, lose again after... and continue down. If starting at 1200 you get an afk and rage in your first game, and lose... You'll be matched with a higher potential of even worse off players, seeing as how, the lower you go - the worse the players, and the higher the chance of disruptions. This is indisputable.

See, people forget, elo hell isn't about the permanency of being stuck below a threshold. It's about **** spiraling out of control, and constantly getting worse and worse matchups, where you can't guarentee your carry will do their part enough to win(be it you, or your allies), to the point one doesn't even want to try anymore.

Elo Hell is about random occurances, which aren't random when all added up together. They're in virtually EVERY game.

This is why a ranking system based on Wins/Losses for an individual, through a TEAM BASED game, is an inaccurate method of matchmaking.

lolbase.net made a good ranking system based on champions. Riot needs to use that method along with their own system of "Per game averages" and create a champion based ranking system that's already implemented there in every summoner's profile.
I know about the snowball effect, and I know it is harsh.

But when one guy on your team goes 0-5 early game, do you ever stop and ask yourself "Am I better than the guy who is getting fed?". Seriously, take a look at his item build and his play style for a while. If your answer is yes, then why aren't you dominating your lane 5-0.

I asked myself that. I asked myself, why can't I go flat AD runes, first blood my opponent and feed off him every game. I asked myself, "If I am playing at such a low level, why can't I kill their jungler at level 1 with Eve or Shaco?". I asked myself "If no one wards, why can't I just steal dragon by rushing wriggles without boots and killing it before the enemy jungler gets theirs". There is opportunity all over the map in ELO Hell.

The more you fall in rating, the more opportunities open up. You play against bigger ******s. Find something to exploit (there are countless, I assure you). There's always something you haven't tried, which could easily get you out of ELO hell, it's up to you to discover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illRu
'm from the european server but I just had to create an account on US server to thank the OP for this thread. I was browsing through the forums and just started reading this thread. At first I was a little sceptic, like some other posters. Then I started a duoQ with a buddy of mine and ofcourse we had an MF that wanted to surrender at 20. Started running around everywhere and dying every time. The score was 17/28 or something like that, ofcourse in favour of the enemy.

Then I started acting like a captain of the team, recognising opportunities for kills and dragons and towers, pinging everything I saw, telling the team everything they had to care for etc. We stole a baron thanks to us walking as a 4 man squad and ww trying to solo it, like he had done before. Thanks to some of the tips here, we really WERE able to win a 4v5. I think people that don't agree with this thread just don't have enough spirit anymore to carry on, just because they THINK they can't win.
Always love people winning 4 v 5's. It just goes to show that if you really want it, it can be done. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshard
The only way to get out of ELO Hell is to not get into ELO Hell. Getting out of ELO Hell is difficult at best once you've slipped into it. Play your strongest champ or dual que from the start to raise your ELO over 1300 so you don't slip below 1200. It's like drowning; it gets harder and harder to catch your breath once you start dipping under 1200. If you under 1200, then grind your best champ till you get over 1200 again. Yes, I said "grind" ELO.
Yes it is difficult, but it's quite a worthy challenge. I really improved my game a lot in ELO hell, and once I got out I quickly jumped to 1400's. I can reach 1500's with a few more games, just that I'm having an exam right now.

I've heard the same story from friends. If you really do carry yourself out of ELO hell, you usually jump a few ELO brackets because you had to go through so much **** just to get out.


12345678 ... 9