Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Help needed re: Runes and Stats!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GhostRoc

03-27-2010

Hi all,

Where does it calculate the value of each 'stat?'

eg. What's the value of ArmorPenetration compared to AttackDamage? AbilityPower vs MagicPenetration?

Is there a ratio of these values when comparing them against each other?

After I get that info, it'll be easy to crunch numbers and IP costs.

I've tried searching for that info, but I can't seem to find one that explains it simply and clearly.

Thanks for any help!

Yannae

03-27-2010

there isnt exactly because every hero profits differently from these stats.

for example:
Yi does greatly benefit from both attack dmg/speed and armor penetration because of his high-dmg autoattack, whereas Poppy's main dmg-source (dev.blow) uses attack dmg, but not speed or armor pen, thus rendering these less efficient.

edit: regarding only autoattack, even then you cant compare numbers, as both attackspeed and ArP give a percentage bonus whereas attack dmg is a static bonus, therefore the autoattack-benefit depends on your base-dmg, which is always different.

though you could calculate such rations for a specific hero with runes+masteries, but they differ with each item you have.

MittenTroll

03-27-2010

This a a nice spreadsheet that lets you look at all of the runes side-by-side.
https://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=50741

2 suggestions:
1) If you are unsure what to get, start out with tier 1 or 2 runes. Tier 1 runes are roughly half as effective as tier 3 runes, but cost about 12 times less (Tier 1 Armor Pen: 1.09 pen for 30 IP; Tier 3 Armor Pen: 1.96 for 410 IP). Additionally, buying a bunch of the cheapest tier 1 runes you can (15 IP) and then upgrading them to a random tier 2 (and then upgrading to random tier 3- getting a T3 quintessence for dirt cheap is always fun!) as you outgrow them is a good way to fiddle around if you're unsure what to try.

2) As for TYPES of runes, i would suggest armor pen or magic pen for reds and mana regen for blues and or yellows. Penetration is one of the most effective stats to stack; it actually gets more effective the more you have! And as there are very few heroes that don't use mana, you'll atleast have a run book that functions moderately across many champions.