Build-Busting Udyr

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VerumVenari

06-05-2011

So, I have probably been playing too much Udyr lately. Just love the guy. Thus, I have been screwing around with a ton of different tank/tanky dps builds, and wanted some feedback.

First build: Manamune! I love this item, but I have a hard time finding a place to use it. Anything Udyr does procs the passive, and he does his stuff a lot. So, I max it often before end game.

Merc Treads -1200
Wriggles -1600
Manamune -2110
Frozen Heart -2475
Force of Nature -2175
Trinity Force -4070

Total Cost: 13630

End stats are about as such: 2.5k hp, 460 move, variable AS, 260 damage, 31 AP, 210 armor, 170 MR, and all the awesome passives from those, including life steal and free wards. Plus, with so much mana, you can spam dance a ton. The issue with this build is that Frozen heart could probably be better item, and it is a bit light on HP. Also, I wish my MR was higher.

Second Build: Altmog. This one is a little more standard, and looks in the end a lot like the last one (I have a core I really like). Not as much fun to play, but may be better, I don't know.

Merc Treads -1200
Wriggles -1600
Force of Nature -2175
Frozen Mallet -3250
Atma's Impaler -2355
Warmogs -3000

Total cost: 13580

End stats are about: 4k HP, 440 move, variable AS, 240 AD, 0 AP, 170 armor, 170 MR, and same passives as above, but no CDR and no AS reducing aura. This one is a bit light on damage, and I just don't feel it ends up doing all that much, other than being a differently built tank. The 4k HP can be awesome with the resists and inherit dodge however.

Going to be trying out a few more, but these are the most recent two I have been messing with, suggestions would be helpful. Do I have something here, or are these just random stuff?

SleepyShy

06-05-2011

Please, don't grab Manamune. Udyr does not need the mana, just grab blue buff. The AD from it isn't worth it.
You're trying to build him mana in the first one, and it may seem good but mana is a useless stat for him. Go with Madred's Bloodrazor if you're playing Tiger Stance, and get maybe a Phantom Dancer. The attack speed will give you ridiculous amounts of speed, and the madreds do 4% of the target's hp in magic damage. With armor pen marks, you'll be doing a lot of AD and AP damage. and well be a much higher threat.

I love your second build. It's perfect. Situationally, switch Merc treads for Ninja Tabi. Grab Blue buff (It's an Udyr thing in general) ultimately, i wouldn't change it. Great build.

Piada

06-06-2011

I usually go more aggressive on Udyr when I'm not filling the tanking role.
BF Sword items are great with Tiger Stance and I get them after:
Merc Treads
Wriggle's
Phage
BF Item
Frozen Mallet

Then u can get Atma's if the enemy team doesn't have a lot of AP. Otherwise a Banshee's Veil 'd be best, imo.

VerumVenari

06-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord1124 View Post
Please, don't grab Manamune. Udyr does not need the mana, just grab blue buff. The AD from it isn't worth it.
You're trying to build him mana in the first one, and it may seem good but mana is a useless stat for him. Go with Madred's Bloodrazor if you're playing Tiger Stance, and get maybe a Phantom Dancer. The attack speed will give you ridiculous amounts of speed, and the madreds do 4% of the target's hp in magic damage. With armor pen marks, you'll be doing a lot of AD and AP damage. and well be a much higher threat.

I love your second build. It's perfect. Situationally, switch Merc treads for Ninja Tabi. Grab Blue buff (It's an Udyr thing in general) ultimately, i wouldn't change it. Great build.
Thank you very much for your response. =) I was thinking something along those lines, to be quite honest.

My reasoning for getting manamune was as follows, at least at first: I do not want to have to keep getting blue as the game progresses. Generally, there is a conflict of interests between me getting it and our AP carry. Second, it ends up giving about 70 AD, which is no small amount. The CDR from frozen heart and the aura I found helped a lot. However, looking back over it with your comments, I completely agree, it would just be better to do something else.

For the second build, what do you believe is the viability of switching out Trinity force for Frozen mallet? I lose about 450 health and my slow is a bit worse, but gain LOTS of damage, move speed, and a bit of AP. Comments on that would be helpful =).

In general however, I have only rarely found my self wanting any more than 2 offensive items, and the majority of those have a defensive property or two. Thus, I am rather reluctant to take Phantom dancer. I will most certainly try it out however. I thought AS was better with Phoenix? Just what I have heard from various guides.

As far as Bloodrazer goes, I am really on the fence about it. While it does boost my player damage, I find that the lifesteal from wriggles lets me tank more, plus wriggles being cheaper. Do you have any ideas about which places each is better?

Thank you very much for your comments so far, they are very helpful. =)

SleepyShy

06-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerumVenari View Post
Thank you very much for your response. =) I was thinking something along those lines, to be quite honest.

My reasoning for getting manamune was as follows, at least at first: I do not want to have to keep getting blue as the game progresses. Generally, there is a conflict of interests between me getting it and our AP carry. Second, it ends up giving about 70 AD, which is no small amount. The CDR from frozen heart and the aura I found helped a lot. However, looking back over it with your comments, I completely agree, it would just be better to do something else.

For the second build, what do you believe is the viability of switching out Trinity force for Frozen mallet? I lose about 450 health and my slow is a bit worse, but gain LOTS of damage, move speed, and a bit of AP. Comments on that would be helpful =).

In general however, I have only rarely found my self wanting any more than 2 offensive items, and the majority of those have a defensive property or two. Thus, I am rather reluctant to take Phantom dancer. I will most certainly try it out however. I thought AS was better with Phoenix? Just what I have heard from various guides.

As far as Bloodrazer goes, I am really on the fence about it. While it does boost my player damage, I find that the lifesteal from wriggles lets me tank more, plus wriggles being cheaper. Do you have any ideas about which places each is better?

Thank you very much for your comments so far, they are very helpful. =)

The thing is though, with even MORE attack speed, you're making Bloodrazors your main damage. you might hit over 2 times a second with bloodrazor tiger stance phantom dancer. I'm making this off the top of my head, and in theory it seems very viable. 4% of the targets health per hit in magic damage. This means you'll be a great tank killer as well as doing both AD AND AP damage! This will limit the tanks choices for items and will either have to go full D items or try to balance it if you have 2 other AD members and 2 other AP members on your team.

Try it out, and Iw as going to try it out today as well when I get home later. We can talk about it later. What's your summoner name?

VerumVenari

06-06-2011

Ah, makes sense. Summoner name is same as my forum name, if your looking for me in game.

SleepyShy

06-06-2011

Requested.

Now that I'm not in a rush, I can give you a little more detail into what I was thinking

70 ad is a small amount comparing it to what you could be getting. mana should not be an issue late game. one mana item like trinity force should give you plenty because of udyrs low mana costs; that's why he starts with so little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerumVenari View Post

My reasoning for getting manamune was as follows, at least at first: I do not want to have to keep getting blue as the game progresses.
What?! It takes 10 seconds to get it give or take once you get there. Grabbing it before a team fight will give you about 20% more CDR at level 18! The hardcap is 40%, which is why I used Frozen Heart for a long time. I'm still tweaking my item build. With the CDR, you can seize the moment and get any opening as well as escape within under a half second wait from the next stance. I can keep Bear stance speed perma, as well as put the shield on every time it's up. However, that's with 40% CDR, and which is why I would really like it back. But the FoN, Atma's Impaler, Warmog's armor combo is too good to pass up. Magic Res (a hefty amount that Udyr lacks, remember to get MR/lvl glyphs), armor, hp, hp regen (another great deal of it), a bit of crit, and, to top it off, 2% of your max hp as damage. to put it into perspective, that's 80 extra damage per hit at 4000 hp, and 87.14 damage at 4357 hp (the health of my current guide with maxed Warmog's) http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...gle-tank-88673
Btw I'd appreciate it if you voted on it. Take a look at it, comment, and thumbs up

VerumVenari

06-06-2011

It is not so much, as I said later on, because it takes a while to get, but because I find it is often better served on someone such as Anivia. That was what I was saying.

Joltèon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-06-2011

Merc treads
Trinity force
Bloodthrister
IE
Banshee's veil
Madreds Bloodrazors
the best of the 5 ive tried

blubbergott

06-06-2011

The last few days i started to like philostone a lot.
3:12 philostone, afterwards lantern, cd boots, heart of gold (upgrade philo to tenacity item as soon as you need it).
randuins & force of nature, which first is depending on teamcomp, if early went really good you can build a sheen before these two.
triforce

i really enjoy the early cdr with the manareg of the philostone and the gold of the two gold/5 items
works very well for me