[Guide]*attempt* Amumu, the sad carry tank mummy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zeyk

09-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salce View Post
I carry with Amumu. This is true, but thanks again webster.
You may be the best player on your team but it still doesn't make your hero a carry. Just saying, the word has a definition and you shouldn't misuse it. When I saw the thread title I assumed you were going to build him for physical DPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
The thing about it is with the way this amumu is built and the masteries, and tantrum in general, early on in the game you're going to be taking minimum damage from creeps as is.

If you play aggressive in your early laning properly then heroes won't ever have much of a chance to hit you. The entire idea is to attack them so the creeps will hit you, creeps do little damage, and you rack up tantrums. The doran's shield and the regen from masteries ARE enough to suffice for regen early game. Late game you don't have much to worry about regen because your HP is high enough late game.
Early game creeps will still hurt you somewhat and the enemies will take potshots whenever they can, having high regen really helps to play aggressively. My point though is that your HP being high late game is exactly why regen is worth worrying about, each attack does a lot of damage and it takes a very long time to heal it with only basic regen. Say you're in a brief skirmish that takes off 1/3 of your HP, if you don't have a healer you might only have 3/4 of it by the time you start a team fight which is a handicap. If you lose half your HP, you won't be full again until you go home, and Teleport is a 4 minute cooldown. I don't think it should be stacked heavily or anything, but the philosopher's stone is nearly 3x as much regen as the shield, and about as much mana regen as the chalice on average, plus the money it earns you all game. If you get Force of Nature that's plenty of HP regen, but you won't always need it.

Luchen

09-01-2009

Carry != DPS, a "carry" would be someone who carries their team and i tell you, this ammu does carry his team.

On a side note, you take 1 damage from ranged creeps and 7 damage from meele at lvl 1 with this build. On lvl 3 you take 0 dmg from ranged and 6 from meele. So yeah, you don't take that much dmg.

Also, in team battles most of the times you won't have time to regen since most of them involve focus firing, so what you want to be able to do as a tank is be able to take that burst damage without dying while aso being able to do stuff. If i have to sacrifice regen to be able to stay trough the whole team fight and have a reasonable ammount of hp for the next one without leaving to base it's the smartest choice.

Shillen

09-01-2009

I don't know if it has to do with the nda loosening, but the link in the OP's post doesn't work.

Salce

09-01-2009

Yeah i was messing around with the link a bit, but it is up now.

mAdaL

09-01-2009

I also don't think that Amumu can be a carry hero, he is a great aoe damager and his presence in battles will hirt opponents especially when you have sunfire or two.. I personally like getting runes on +1 gold every 10 seconds and getting Philosopher stone as first item.. And smite as one of the summoner skills. With these items you are capable of farming first sunfire in about 15-17 minutes and if you do in this part of the game Amumu really can carry, opponents won't be able to be near. I also like maxing out Bondage Toss along with Tantrum it's damage allows you to effectively gang, and the damage that it does is not that effective in late game. About dispair, it's a late game skill and really the difference between 2-3% is not that big..

Also wanted to added few tips for beginners: a good thing on pushing towers is to simply go forward and handle creeps between towers with Tantrum.. A thing that you do with Axe in DotA.. This will allow you to get experience and farm and your allies will push towers a lot faster

Salce

09-02-2009

Its just in....
he can carry RiotVeigar did it.

Luchen

09-02-2009

I just got carried by this build for the nth time against a team composed of really good players. So yeah, i KNOW that amumu can carry. Wish there would be replays.

Floatzel

09-03-2009

I am here to say that you can solo lizard at level one with doran shield, 1 health pot and a rune page of either HP or HP regen.
I tested and performed both in real matches.

also, awesome support in this guide.

*BIG NOTE*
they changed tantrum. Rather than having to proc tantrum by getting hit, it is now ALWAYS proced and getting hit takes off cooldown. This actually changed the skill quite a bit making it even stronger. You will get tantrum more often at any level and will have it available for attacking champions even when totally removed from combat. I dont think this was mentioned in the patch notes.

I am currently working on a new build in which you take your skills differently. Since you will be having tantrum more often for use on heroes, it will most likely focus on taking bandage grab and ganking early on.