[Guide]*attempt* Amumu, the sad carry tank mummy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Salce

09-01-2009

Amumu, the sad carry tank mummy

Introduction

This is a champion that I had not ever played until 2-3 weeks ago just because I wasn’t much of a tanking person, but after watching caseyjones always fail with Amumu, and not seeing him very much in any of the games I was in. I thought that I would give him a try, and after trying him i found my new favorite champion. (so far)

In this guide Amumu will be built as a tank, the way he should be because ap sucks IMO. Their will be no ap items but just health / armor / spell block (depending on the opposing team.) The unique thing about Amumu is not only can you be a beastly tank, but you can do a LOT of damage if built right.

Spells

[Q] Bandage Toss - skill shot
Amumu throws out a sticky bandage, if it encounters an enemy unit, it will stun them and deal 75 magical while Amumu pulls himself to them. Damage goes up 75/140/205/275/350

[W] Despair - Toggle spell
Enemies within 250 distance continually lose 2% of their maximum health. Each level the percent goes up .25, while still draining 10 mana per a second. Also the range is increased by 25 per level.

[E] Tantrum - usable when hit X amount of times depending on rank.
Passive: Amumu takes 1 reduced damage from physical attacks. Goes up 1 per a level of tantrum
Active: Amumu releases his rage dealing 155 magical damage to surrounding units after being hit 13 times.
The amount times hit to be able to use goes down 2 each level, so 13-11-9-7-5. Also the mana cost goes down from 60-50-40-30-20. -Also as of last patch rather than having to proc tantrum by getting hit, it is now ALWAYS proced and getting hit takes off cooldown.

[R] Curse of the Sad Mummy - Amumu’s ultimate which is amazing in team battles.
Amumu entangles surrounding enemy units, causing them unable to move or attack for 3 seconds, dealing x magical damage per a second to them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passive *on autoattack*
Amumu's physical attacks reduce his target's magic resist.

Pre-Game

Runes

My personal choice for runes is all health, but im sure hp regen would be fine as well. The way I set my runes up is all vitality runes (health per level) for seals, marks, and glyphs. But for my Quintessences I used 3 Fortitude runes. So I start off with +122 Health, and at lvl 18 +445. Also in the defense tree add an extra +60.
Again this is the way I set up my runes and anything that has to do with hp / hp regen will be fine.

Masteries 0/21/09

Defense

3/3 Resistance
3/3 Hardiness
1/3 Strength of Spirit
3/3 Harden Skin
2/2 Defensive Mastery
4/4 Veteran’s Scars
1/1 Willpower (depending on your summoner skill I get because I use Cleanse)
3/3 Ardor
1/1 Tenacity

Utility

3/3 Perseverence
1/3 Good Hands
4/4 Awareness
1/1 Greed
You can change your utility points around on personal choice and get expansive mind if you wanted, but I recommend at least Greed. IMO

Summoner Spells (ALL personal choice)

*Teleport - Personally, I always take teleport on any hero it helps me for my start of the game lizard and it even helps throughout the game for ganks, saving an ally, and defending your base/towers.

Heal - This would not be bad at all for the clutch saves that you can pull and you can also take the point out of Willpower in defensive tree and put it in Mender’s Faith.

*Cleanse - This is my choice of 2nd summoner spell just because it can get irritating to get stunned or locked down when you are trying to run in the middle of a fight to let despair / sunfire cape tick / casting your ult. I am also specced for this.

Ghost - Not a bad choice at all you can pop ghost and chase down heroes well tanking creeps to proc tantrum.

Flash - Not a big fan of this but again will work. The cool down is just too long for me to ever depend on it.

Rally - Nice to pop in team fights when you use your ult or push a tower.

Any of these summoner spells fail-fortify, smite, promote, revive, and clairvoyance. We all have different play styles and many of use might prefer other spells over others of course.

In-Game

Ability Progression

1. E Tantrum
1a. W Despair (depending if you want to start with lizard which I will talk about.)
2. Q Bandage Toss
2a. E Tantrum *(again depends)
3. E Tantrum
4. W Despair
5. E Tantrum
6. R Curse of the Sad Mummy (ultimate)
7. E Tantrum
8. Q Bandage Toss
9. E Tantrum (maxed)
10. Q Bandage Toss
11. R Curse of the Sad Mummy
12. Q Bandage Toss
13. Q Bandage Toss (max)
14. W Despair
15. W Despair
16. R Curse of the Sad Mummy (max)
17. W Despair
18. W Despair

Start of the Game

*To start ask to go top or bot, not middle.*
One way I like to start off is to buy Doran’s Shield (435g) and a health potion (35g).
(OPTION) After buying I go wait in the brush next to the lizard. Look around for any close clairvoyances or champions that might try to ruin your early Lizard buff. If you feel safe and you already do not have a jungler then go ahead and get Despair. At about 1:20-1:30 the lizard will spawn, Go ahead and use W and start auto attacking, now use your -health potion- and patiently wait. By the time you are done the creeps should just reach the lane. Now blue pill, heal, and head/teleport to TOP* or BOTTOM*. Again you might not be able to pull this off depending on runes so I recommend testing it in a practice game.

Now once you are in a lane pay close attention to your match-up if you are against 2 physical champions then you are quite lucky my friend. Or if you are against a solo that cant do much but tower hug then you can take advantage of this and push an early tower.

Explaining the Map

I went ahead and stole this map from caseyjones’ guide. (which is great btw check it out if you haven’t.) On this map you can see that there is a yellow X in the middle, which is saying DO NOT go their I stress this very much because this is the worst lane spot for Amumu because there is no room in between the first and second tower to farm. Now the spots that I put the boxes is where you can start to use tantrum to its full potential. If you are already pushing at the tower and have them locked in the lane then go in between the 1st and 2nd tower and tank all the creeps. *I recommend being level 5+ and to be very aware of your mini-map to see if any go MIA or if they have a jungler that can gank you. *Again when you tank all the creeps you can just do 3 tantrums and clear creep waves, farm, and push the tower eventually which is a huge advantage. Less than 5 minute towers FTW.*
Now with the defensive tree and Tantrum’s passive you should take 0 damage from the melee creeps, and just be taking damage from the ranged which you can regen all back very quick.
If you are laned up with a partner then be sincere and tell them to come by you to get xp or have them push the tower, don’t take all the xp because you will need them later just as much as they need your leet tanking skills.

This is a very risky strat that can fail, or just own you have to be ballsy and be aware of the map. You can’t do this against every top or bot lane. It really depends on what you are matched against, be aware of what the lane is capable of and if the other team has anyone that can stealth. It might take a while to practice it or to learn what/who you can do it on.

Added- I went ahead and added escape routes in red, it is kind of messy but I did it. I also made a little key to explain the colors / numbers.

http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...my-lol-map.jpg

Back to the Game

Now remember that when you right click on the enemy champion all the creeps will attack you, which for Amumu is your advantage. This can proc your tantrum and allow you to chase down the other team. (times I wish I had ghost.) Try to pick up a chalice asap. This is where teleport comes in because you really want to stay in a lane as long as possible.

---------- Will add more eventually. i need the sleep.

Amumu is capable of doing dragon, Golem, and lizard early so if you ever push too far with the strat above take advantage of the time to get buffs and/or dragon. Despair rank 1 ftw.
Tip - on the dragon stand below him as much as possible for despair damage to work, sometimes it will not do damage even though you are auto-attacking him.

Items

My Item choice

Doran’s Shield *with health potion*
Chalice of Harmony
Boots
Boots into Swiftness or ninja tabi before or after sunfire capes
Giant’s Belt
Chain Mail
Make into Sunfire Cape
Giant’s Belt
Chain Mail
Make into Sunfire Cape
Guardian Angel / Aegis

Item Goal for Physical Tank

Doran’s Shield
Chalice of Harmony
Boots of Swiftness / Ninja Tabi
Sunfire Cape
Sunfire Cape
Sunfire Cape
Guardian Angel / Sunfire Cape / Aegis

Item Goal for Spell Block Tank

Doran’s Shield
Chalice Harmony
Boots of Swiftness / Mercury
Banshee’s Veil
Guardian Angel
Force of Nature
*HP item* Warmog’s / Sunfire Cape / Aegis / or even a Frozen Mallet

Item Goal for a Mix of Spell Block / Physical Tankage

Doran’s shield
Chalice of Harmony
Boots of Swiftness / Ninja Tabi / Mercury Treads
Sunfire Cape
Banshee’s Veil
Guardian Angel / Aegis

Again if you are fortunate enough to go against a team with 3/5 or 4/5 physical dps then I recommend to sunfire cape stack so you can farm / tank effectively / do GREAT dps with despair, ult, and tantrum. Of course I mean Doran’s Shield to start off with each of these at the start but at the end you can replace with a sunfire cape, or straight hp. Great starting item for Amumu.

Summary
In this guide I went over Amumu and his spells. Runes which I use and what can be used.
The masteries that I recommend. The summoner spells that can be used best with him. His ability progression , which spells to pick at what level. I went over my starting lizard strat which is nice but really isn’t necessary it is just something that I personally like to do and think it is cool to solo lizard as Amumu. I went over how to use Tantrum at its full potential to farm in between towers. The last thing I went over was the item build and what I would go for if built as physical dps tank / spell block / or even a mix of the two. To explain the carry part is 3 sunfire capes ticking, despair, and your ult in between 5 of the other team = a lot of damage and pressure on them to get hell out asap well your team has 3 seconds to beat on them well they are wrapped up.

This is my first guide that I have made, and I thought it would be fun to make one and here it is. This is full of my personal Amumu ownage and what he can do. Please give feed-back on how I can make this cleaner or more easier to follow. Any tips would be greatly appreciated on the guide. Also on a side note if you have any questions please ask and maybe I can help you out on Amumu.

Shot out to caseyjones for inspiring my amumu, luchen's pro amumu, reptar, and fireflies.

Stay Positive

09-01-2009

Thx for the guide gonna try some of this stuff. I have a full health runes page so I'm already started. I can see some difficulties if laned against ranged as with good harassment the health regen might be problematic early.

Salce

09-01-2009

Np tell me how it goes, and how close you cut it on lizard good luck.

Stay Positive

09-01-2009

Well ive been trying it out .... i definitely needed the health runes to get the lizard. He feels a bit more powerful now that I can take a few more hits. Need to take him in some practice games and see how I fare with him.

More to come.

LD

Floatzel

09-01-2009

I have actually been doing this a little before this guide existed.
Assuming I am interpreting you correctly, you mean to go between two currently standing towers in order to farm/block creeps.
There are several things that can happen here though. Against a solo, this is relatively safe. Not much can be sneaky and ganky enough to kill amumu this early as you SHOULD see them coming. Maybe Evelyn or twitch can pose a threat in this strategy but even with these characters, their approach should be fairly obvious. If there are two people in the lane against you, this can be quite risky. Some characters can hold towers easily by themselves (see lich, sivir, morgana, etc) leaving their partner to run backwards and deal with you. If this is the case, I usually will not try this strategy again but I will keep an eye on the enemy heroes. If I think one left (BP) then I will take out a wave or two and get out. I am getting too specific though. Just perhaps make a few notes on how this plan can work and what to do if it doesn't work or how it can not work.
It is important to explain where you duck back into the woods, your escape root should they come for you, what your partner should be doing here, how long to keep this up for, etc.

Also, you should note that teleport can be used as a gank escaper. Amumu can live quite a long time while surrounded so this makes teleporting to a safe tower in the middle of a gank very viable. I refer to this as an ACTION TELEPORT.

Anyway, happy crying amumu players.

Shizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatzel View Post
Also, you should note that teleport can be used as a gank escaper. Amumu can live quite a long time while surrounded so this makes teleporting to a safe tower in the middle of a gank very viable. I refer to this as an ACTION TELEPORT.

Anyway, happy crying amumu players.
Just be careful there are no stunners/disablers around. Someone tried this last night in a game and our Fiddlesticks simply feared him and we murdered him.

Zeyk

09-01-2009

IMO all your builds are low on regen before Force of Nature, the shield alone won't cut it for that long. You don't want to always be running back to base but if you don't you won't be using half your HP if you can't regen it before the next fight. Personally I prefer going straight for Philosopher's Stone as the first item and taking something else for MR, depending on their team makeup.

Also Amumu is just a tank, a carry is a hero with very high DPS that scales strongly with items. It's not that meaningful a term in LoL since none of the heroes get quite as crazy in the endgame as DotA's carries.

Xl

Adjudicator

09-01-2009

Good guide - I've seen you play this against the Riot guys, and you and your team owned the **** out of me and the guys I was playing with last night with 4 tanks/Zilean. I should try Amumu at some point, I've only played him once.

Salce

09-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeyk View Post
IMO all your builds are low on regen before Force of Nature, the shield alone won't cut it for that long. You don't want to always be running back to base but if you don't you won't be using half your HP if you can't regen it before the next fight. Personally I prefer going straight for Philosopher's Stone as the first item and taking something else for MR, depending on their team makeup.

Also Amumu is just a tank, a carry is a hero with very high DPS that scales strongly with items. It's not that meaningful a term in LoL since none of the heroes get quite as crazy in the endgame as DotA's carries.
That is your way to build Amumu i don't build my tanks regen if i did i would go regen rune page and focus on that more. Also i am not having to run back to base constantly at all that is where teleport comes in handy to buy and then teleport right back to your lane. I go straight hp and tank the big battles that matter. *I am not a fan of mass regen at all and we all build champions differently mine being what i had shown.*

I carry with Amumu. This is true, but thanks again webster.
Although ty for the feedback maybe i will try a hp regen amumu, but for now i prefer hp stacking.

caseyjones

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeyk View Post

The thing about it is with the way this amumu is built and the masteries, and tantrum in general, early on in the game you're going to be taking minimum damage from creeps as is.

If you play aggressive in your early laning properly then heroes won't ever have much of a chance to hit you. The entire idea is to attack them so the creeps will hit you, creeps do little damage, and you rack up tantrums. The doran's shield and the regen from masteries ARE enough to suffice for regen early game. Late game you don't have much to worry about regen because your HP is high enough late game.