Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Weekend Skin Sale: Freljord Ashe and Mercenary Katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tyaeth

03-27-2010

Saw this announcement and almost bought the skin until I realized that there was actually no discount at all.

Gunther Clone C

03-27-2010

Skins are still listed at regular price for me as well. I'll buy them when they've been reduced...until then... :-S

Bekko

03-27-2010

Same for me >_<

DonaldPotsmoker

03-27-2010

Quote:
Autobott:
I'm all for them making money, obviously it's why they made the game I just think they are being totally unreasonable on the skin pricing (I mean come on, you can buy some toons for less than spome skins). You say how else can they prevent a monthly recurring fee - I buy a lot of games that dont have a sub, and I'm already into LoL for that amount, for a lot less content! And don't get me wrong, I don't mind that I have spent $50 as I am having a great time!

I have to totally disagree on the amount of people paying $5 on skins though...I don't know who's paying $2 for ringtones, I mean sheesh - 80% of the apps on the iPhone are $.99 and a heckuvalot more wore work goes into making an entire game than changing some colors on an existing skin. Seriously, there is a reason why everything is $.99 on the iPhone - and it has to be that they move a lot more product vs. $5-10.

I disagree. It is totally reasonable for them to charge whatever they want for skins. IMO skins are worth more than champs. I can get champs for free (IP), however I have to pay money for skins (RP). I agree that buying a 5$ skin may be expensive. However, you don't have to, you can also not buy the skin and still play the champ.

Personally, I look at skins as a mark of experience, and the more expensive the skin, usually the more experience a player has with their champ. For instance, who's going to spend 5$ on a skin for a champ they've never played (unless they plan on playing them a lot in the future)? Nobody.

In fact it makes sense that champs may be less expensive than skins. You need the champ first to see if you like it, before you commit to buying a skin.

chumbler

03-27-2010

Price is fixed now.

Arlando

03-27-2010

Quote:
Autobott:
You say how else can they prevent a monthly recurring fee

thats not what i said at all. i said it keeps them from having to charge a monthly subscription fee. they could sell runes for rp, they could make champions rp only. there are alot of ways they can prevent a monthly subscription fee. what i did say was that because of skin sales, you do not have to pay a monthly subscription fee. what i said, and what you think i said are two entirely different things. i realize now its pointless to say anything to you as you will hear whatever you want to hear.

Quote:
Autobott:

I have to totally disagree on the amount of people paying $5 on skins though...I don't know who's paying $2 for ringtones, I mean sheesh - 80% of the apps on the iPhone are $.99 and a heckuvalot more wore work goes into making an entire game than changing some colors on an existing skin. Seriously, there is a reason why everything is $.99 on the iPhone - and it has to be that they move a lot more product vs. $5-10.

disagree on the amount of people all you want, but my statement is true. the amount of people buying skins is enough to keep you from having to pay a monthly subscription fee. if you disagree with that, then obviously you must think that skin sales are so low that we have a month subscription fee? how can you say anything about the amount of people buying skins when you have no idea how many skins theyve sold.

my point was this, you are implying that this company would sell more skins if they dropped the price to $1. what you fail to realize is that, skin sales are pretty much the only way this company makes money from its microtransaction model. please take no offense, but im pretty sure youre not coming up with anything they havent thought of already. im sure theyve consulted alot of experts on which model would be better. your opinion, which is biased based on your want for a $1 skin. my opinion is that, if they arent doing it that way already, theres probably a logical reason.

teal deer: i doubt some guy posting on their forums criticizing their business model that obviously works suggesting a new model simply because he doesnt want to pay more than $1 for a skin is neither going to convince them to change the business model because its a great idea nor get you a $1 skin.

Gunther Clone C

03-27-2010

Awesome, thanks for fixing the prices for us Riot. :-D

Zirfith

03-27-2010

omg i want a refound plz.. i have buy them full price today..(saturday) because i tought it were reduced

03-27-2010

Yaaay Katarina - i like playing as her, i hope she gets to be a little more powerful early game though.

SeraphimX

03-27-2010

Quote:
Autobott:

You do realize that there are probably like 10+ million more people (probably way underestimating) buying iphone apps than playing LoL. Even less buying skins than playing LoL for free. I doubt lowering the price to 99c would sell so many skins that it could support the game.

Not to mention the amount of apps people buy(and the sheer number available for purchase) whereas people only buy a few skins for their favorite champs.