Shen Feedback

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hnetto

03-26-2010

So far i have played about 25 to 30 matches with Shen, did win some and lose some. This is my take on him right now.

Ki Strike - Nice passive, quite decent to punch extra damage when being attacked by champions. However the fact that must be a champion attacking you in order to reduce the refresh time makes it less interesting that it should be. The fact is that once people realize that hitting Shen is a bad ideia he will be hit less and less therefor making his passive less effective. It works well with Shadow Dash as the taunt forces you to be attacked thus increasing the amount of damage dished out.

Vorpal Blade - Pretty decent spell. Ok damage for a tank. Healing is decent to help you stay in the lane during the early game. However at late game stages Vorpal Blade makes little diference to the team. Greatest problem seems to be that the effect proc only once every three seconds, thus since the duration of it is 5 seconds at best you will get two procs. This is mitigated by the fact that the cooldown is only 3 seconds so you could use it again before the effect ends, however as i explain below that is impossible due to power issues.

Feint - Excellent/Really Bad ability. This is an excelent ability since it can absorb 310 damage from one attack. Allowing Shen to stay in the fight longer. It's really bad since any damage makes it proc. So if you feint and get hit by a minion it will consume the feint. Also happens with other attacks making it less reliable than we could desire for. All of that would not be a problem if it wasn't for the energy cost. Again i will go over that bellow.

Shadow Dash - Probably Shen's best ability by far. It can be used to escape, to attack, even to some degree to initiate. The only problem is it's energy cost which makes this ability pretty expensive to use and hardly usable more than once during a combat.

Stand United - Also a extremly good ability to prevent ganks, turn the tide of the battle, escape and even to some more creative uses. So far i have seen no problem with it.

Stats - Since Shen is a HP based tank it would be fair that his initial HP and HP gain would be higher than it currently is. I would not mind if he moved a tiny bit faster even if for a tank he moves quite fast. The only reason i say that is because most of his skills are pretty short ranged so short range plus slow moving makes you really need some form of movement boost to catch people. He has decent armor and lacks on magic resistance. I have a small issue with his lack of MR since no items that have it synergize with his abilities or playstyle. So it's pretty hard to put his MR up without sacrificing a bit. However this is understandble as he needs a weakspot.

Energy - This is probably the only real problem i have with Shen. His energy starts with 200 and at level 18 still 200. Even thou some of his spells become cheaper as you level most of the time you will be out of energy to cast more than 3 in a row. That would not be a problem if we could have itens that allow his energy to recharge faster or increase his energy pool. But right now most of the time you will Shadow Dash, Vorpal and if you managed to hit SD you may be able to shield. For the rest of the fight you probably will be out of energy to do anything else.

Bottom Line - I assume that my ELO should be somewhere in the mid range due to my number of victories being only slightly higher than my defeats. So i am basing my thoughts on this tier. For my ELO he seems to be pretty ok, you will score kills, you will support your group and if played well you will also prevent most ganks against your team. This last aspect is very valuable when playing with a pre-made team, if you manage to communicate well 90% of the time you will be able to prevent people from getting ganked during mid to late game stages. You manage to score kills because you have alot more staying power than most characters. Aside from some very strong carries i faced a few characters on 1 on 1 basis and managed to score a kill. If they run i can ghost and shadow dash to prevent them from running away. However the energy problem prevents me from doing something better at late stages of the game. When team fights start to be more important lack of energy just becomes unberable.

Suggestion - Raise his HP a bit to he can be more in line with other high HP tanks and either scale his energy pool with his level or allow mana regen itens to affect his energy recovery. With those two things i belive Shen will be a very decent hero.

Thanks for your time reading this feedback. I appreciate any suggestions and comments.

d2king10

03-26-2010

All the stuff you think is amazing, is really his biggest areas of flop.

Like I said in some other posts, he is a really fun champions, but he needs some buffs.

They needs to buff his W: either low the cooldown and energy cost so you can spam it, or raise the amount it defends substantially.

They also need to buff his R: Make it so it is 3 seconds of invulnerability to him and his target. Right now, it is only good to move around the map with (and SOMETIMES save someone). It SHOULD be made to be used in team fights so that you can initiate with taunt, then ult on top of your carry to protect them and you for a few seconds. At its current state, if you try to do that, your ultimate will get knocked off in .222 seconds and then you are left to die.

Hnetto

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2king10 View Post
All the stuff you think is amazing, is really his biggest areas of flop.

Like I said in some other posts, he is a really fun champions, but he needs some buffs.

They needs to buff his W: either low the cooldown and energy cost so you can spam it, or raise the amount it defends substantially.

They also need to buff his R: Make it so it is 3 seconds of invulnerability to him and his target. Right now, it is only good to move around the map with (and SOMETIMES save someone). It SHOULD be made to be used in team fights so that you can initiate with taunt, then ult on top of your carry to protect them and you for a few seconds. At its current state, if you try to do that, your ultimate will get knocked off in .222 seconds and then you are left to die.
Not sure if you really read everything i wrote. Since you replied very fast i urge you to read again because some of what i am say is the same thing you are.

I partly agree with you about his W. Lowering it's energy cost would be an alternative to an increment on his energy pool. I see no point in raising the amount it defends if it stays like it is right now. Being able to defend 800 damage and losing this shield for a 40 damage hit is pointless. Also if the cooldown was lower than 3 seconds with golem buff and itens you could reach almost 1 second refresh, that probably would make him a bit too powerful.

I understand what your saying about his ult, but making it an invulnerability shield would make it overly powerful. Basicly Shen and another carry could put down a tower at higher levels without anyone being able to stop them. At best i can see the shield being a bit stronger, altought i think it's on the right spot. Only complain is that it scales with AP on a champion that benefits very little from AP builds.

d2king10

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnetto View Post
Not sure if you really read everything i wrote. Since you replied very fast i urge you to read again because some of what i am say is the same thing you are.

I partly agree with you about his W. Lowering it's energy cost would be an alternative to an increment on his energy pool. I see no point in raising the amount it defends if it stays like it is right now. Being able to defend 800 damage and losing this shield for a 40 damage hit is pointless. Also if the cooldown was lower than 3 seconds with golem buff and itens you could reach almost 1 second refresh, that probably would make him a bit too powerful.

I understand what your saying about his ult, but making it an invulnerability shield would make it overly powerful. Basicly Shen and another carry could put down a tower at higher levels without anyone being able to stop them. At best i can see the shield being a bit stronger, altought i think it's on the right spot. Only complain is that it scales with AP on a champion that benefits very little from AP builds.
How would that ultimate 3 second invulnerability be OP, when champions like morgana and kayle have a lower cooldown STRONGER non-ultimate shield? It is a HORRIBLE ultimate right now, that doesn't help out in team fights at all because of the low defence it blocks. He is a tank, bottom line his abilitys should help him survive longer when he tanks.

Yea, I would like it if his W stayed up until the time ran out or all of the damage was delt on the shield. However, making it spammable wouldnt really break him, considering it would drop his energy so fast if you did it. Though, I think raising the amount it blocks and having ti stay up for the duration of the spell/damage remaining would be a lot better.

Hippo Man

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnetto View Post
Only complain[t] is that it scales with AP on a champion that benefits very little from AP builds.

Yeah especially since he relies on that static pool of energy for casting. Only ap items i can justify giving him are guinsoo's and zhonya's. :/