Gamespy interviews Tom Zileas Cadwell

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cavemanguy

03-26-2010

IMO matchmaking is relatively fair once you get your lvl in the top 20's or 30. When I first hit the high teens and low 20's i had a large number of unbalanced games which was unpleasant. Also sometimes I feel if your premade is large then matchmaking will over compensate you though.

Douglas Fork

03-26-2010

"I have always been pretty good with Jax, for some reason."

Because he is freaking OP, that's why!!!!! ;D

EatingBurger

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireulcheg View Post
Tom stated that matchmaking system prediction is good.

The fact is, if you make a match which is truly equal, it is IMPOSSIBLE to predict the outcome.
Good prediction means matches are so unfair, that even some bunch of math which isn't even includes a champion selection can predict the outcome!
As an analyst, I got my answer about matchmaking from this statement...
I'm assuming it's not predicting whether someone will win or not, but rather whether it will be a good game or not (i.e. all players have a chance to have fun, and it isn't a total whipe)

thereisaspoon

03-26-2010

cant wait for tree line!!!!!!

AlphaOfUrOmega

03-26-2010

I don't like that all heroes wouldn't be available at all times for different competitive seasons. If that's the only way to get the meta-game to change, we have a problem.

The Gingerbread Man

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOfUrOmega View Post
I don't like that all heroes wouldn't be available at all times for different competitive seasons. If that's the only way to get the meta-game to change, we have a problem.
I agree. If that's the only way to get the meta-game to change, there is definitely a problem.

Ireulcheg

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingBurger View Post
I'm assuming it's not predicting whether someone will win or not, but rather whether it will be a good game or not (i.e. all players have a chance to have fun, and it isn't a total whipe)
No, Tom directly stated a win prediction...

Zulunko

03-26-2010

Quote:
We know [the system] is effective because we've looked at the results, and the predictions are pretty accurate in general.
He's talking about predictions of win chance, not predictions of winning. There's a subtle difference.

zdman

03-26-2010

I think the limited selection of rotating champions is a great idea. I use to play Magic semi-competitively and having the environment change was always a good thing. You learn the core skills that translate but the specifics will be constantly different. It even helps you learn more about the game. Every time a new set was released, I would learn something new to help me play better.

They are keeping the same set of champions for a whole season. This will be good because new champions won't disrupt the season and it give you time to improve with the specifics of that particular season. In magic, people play bad decks for about the first half of a season. As people innovate, the environment becomes well defined and then it turns into 3 specific decks that everyone plays. That's where the new sets come in. They break up that stalemate with cards that counter previous strategies and provide new options.

I would assume that the 5v5 will probably always be the core mode for competitive play. But, the other game modes and maps will also give variation.

The only other thing I can think of would be to remake all the champions. But, I don't think a champion should be remade unless there is a flaw with the champion. Plus, it's poor as a marketing model as they want you to buy champions. Therefore, making new champions will always be more profitable.

Grake

03-26-2010

Read the whole thing, and im quite pleased.
I learned a lot, and now i'm especially excited for any future modifications to the rune/mastery system.

As for support heroes, i do agree they'd be far more viable if ksing the carries for occasional gold wasnt so vital of a tactic. The numbers don't matter, it's the profit and items.

Ultimately, i'm very excited for the future of this game, and i'm interested in the future of katarina. I wish i could say she was underpowered, but like any character, enough AP and she's pretty mediocre :| Still upset implementing KI to her ults attack power. It's a very inconvenient "Buff."