Gamespy interviews Tom Zileas Cadwell

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ISG Kazeking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2010

Delicious!

Bramblewood

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireulcheg View Post
DotA has another definition of carry:
A person with agility-based hero, who's been killing mobs for 40-50 minutes to become fed enough to ace enemy team with minimal support or no support at all.

Which is the main reason I prefer LoL.
Ohhh, okay, I get it. Yeah, I never played DotA, so I didn't know about the different meanings. :P

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblewood View Post
Ohhh, okay, I get it. Yeah, I never played DotA, so I didn't know about the different meanings. :P
yeah. Like, the idea is the same, so you're kinda right, but the order of magnitude is far off. Like tom said, Dota carries would be terrible early game, or at least VERY weak, but would become strong late game and then be able to, if farmed enough, borderline single handedly wipe out the other team. That... is much more unlikely... in LoL (Twitch is probably one of the few who can, without team support).

EdwrdElric

03-26-2010

One of the questions noted the perception of unfair matchmaking and riot games belief that the system has proven sound. To be perfectly frank, I've been in many of these games with great differences in summoner levels. What I've found is that the game ends up being molded around the fact of their levels. If someone is level 13 and everyone else is 30, that one person tends to have been useless to the team and quite likely fed throughout the game. On occasion I'll get matched up against a group of lower level players, whenever this happens the game is ridiculously easy for me, a true walk in the park. I'll admit that I enjoy being overwhelming, but from the other players perspective it must seem awful. Perhaps your math does work, but it obviously doesn't focus on enough factors since these poor match ups happen so often. Not that I'll be terribly bothered if the match ups continue in this fashion.

Thats my two-cents, I'm not truly dissatisfied with the system, but I find the statement made by Tom Cadwell, despite his mention that bad match ups do happen, to be entirely different from the reality.

Ireulcheg

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstriker View Post
yeah. Like, the idea is the same, so you're kinda right, but the order of magnitude is far off. Like tom said, Dota carries would be terrible early game, or at least VERY weak, but would become strong late game and then be able to, if farmed enough, borderline single handedly wipe out the other team. That... is much more unlikely... in LoL (Twitch is probably one of the few who can, without team support).
Adding a point, "farming enough" can be done with mobs alone, carries in DotA generally don't bother going for kills before their precious items are already in their happy pocket.

Ireulcheg

03-26-2010

Tom stated that matchmaking system prediction is good.

The fact is, if you make a match which is truly equal, it is IMPOSSIBLE to predict the outcome.
Good prediction means matches are so unfair, that even some bunch of math which isn't even includes a champion selection can predict the outcome!
As an analyst, I got my answer about matchmaking from this statement...

Poet

03-26-2010

Wow, I hate to be "That Guy" but did anyone else notice how poorly edited this interview was? I hope Ryan Scott & Anthony Gallegos see this and realize how amateur they came off. At first I was like:

"And we've also, we're also happy that our users understand we're not selling in-game power, or being unfair or unbalanced [with the model]."

No big deal; nobody is perfect--and then:

"We're going to through each champion and look at things like what a good Chronokeeper looks like, and what a good Soraka looks like."

And that's just me quickly glancing at the article...

Edit: Period is the new comma? "We thought a lot about that. and in the short term, we're going to keep releasing champions."

Salindor

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireulcheg View Post
Tom stated that matchmaking system prediction is good.

The fact is, if you make a match which is truly equal, it is IMPOSSIBLE to predict the outcome.
Good prediction means matches are so unfair, that even some bunch of math which isn't even includes a champion selection can predict the outcome!
As an analyst, I got my answer about matchmaking from this statement...
While you are right for an individual game; you are wrong for a collection of games. There is an entire mathematical science for predicting the odds that a random event will occur. For example you can't predict that flipping a coin will be heads or tails; but you can predict that 50% of the time the coin will be heads or tails. Anyways they explain their matchmaking system in this thread:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...on+matchmaking

Salindor

Decepticon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2010

it says "We will start playing TT faster than we expect" well i expect it next patch.

KeitMacheen

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzXO View Post
it says "We will start playing TT faster than we expect" well i expect it next patch.
No no! You're doing it wrong! You know they don't actually mean "faster than [you] expect!" What they really mean is... "soon." *Sigh*