When to use Clarity

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GG Crono

06-05-2011

Clarity can be an excellent tool for sustaining a lane presence with mana-hungry characters in the right circumstances. My question is, what do you think are the right circumstances? Who do you like to use it on?

I almost always take it on Morgana, as it helps her sustainability quite a bit, and even mid-game she can blow through mana pretty well and sometimes needs a boost.

(It should go without saying that it can sometimes be nice to give your teammates a kick, but that's a given no matter who you're playing. We're considering strictly selfish reasons for taking Clarity at the moment.)

infinite azure

06-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG Crono View Post
Clarity can be an excellent tool for sustaining a lane presence with mana-hungry characters in the right circumstances. My question is, what do you think are the right circumstances? Who do you like to use it on?

I almost always take it on Morgana, as it helps her sustainability quite a bit, and even mid-game she can blow through mana pretty well and sometimes needs a boost.

(It should go without saying that it can sometimes be nice to give your teammates a kick, but that's a given no matter who you're playing. We're considering strictly selfish reasons for taking Clarity at the moment.)
I used to get it on anivia, but would rather on a mana--hungry tank that doesn't need more summoners like Galio.

For strictly selfish reasons? It's a horrible spell. Yet if you're in a team push and lux, rammus, and gragas are all out of mana it can keep you fighting on to get another tower or two (happened last game I took it). Told my friends to gather round and it gave 4 people who couldn't use abilities anymore a much needed boost.

Narvuntien

06-05-2011

I just recently got Mp/5 runes.. and that solved the mana problems I had that forced me to get clarity.

it is useful on supports though... I have to test its helpfulness on Lux... with her snare clarity can save her life.

StyrTW

06-05-2011

Honestly, Clarity is a terrible summoner spell and should only be taken pre-30 when you can't rune for it. CV should be taken on all support, and flash is a given for all champions. Your only logical choice is either exhaust if you plan to use it on the enemy carry in teamfights, or teleport for map control. I go teleport far more than I go exhaust simply because map control is key in this game.If your roamer places a ward in the enemy red/blue bush, 1-2 people porting in can give you first blood easy on the enemy jungle.

Flash/Teleport is my favorite combo now

tl;dr - teleport>clarity,, just get flat regen runes if you are really mana starved, or get early philo stone

This requires some teamwork, and is more of a 'ranked' discussion since your team will actually use wards.

JohnCataldo

06-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyrTW View Post
tl;dr - teleport>clarity,,
This is my short answer, especially if you are being selfish. The ability to refill your mana pool entirely (at any point in the game) as well as shopping is almost always worth the extra time it takes to recall and teleport back (especially since you ultimately get more XP/gold by not missing out on waves of minions while walking around without teleport).

And, of course, teleport has lots of other uses, defense, offensive, and non-selfish even. If you've ever been saved by a Shen porting onto you, understand that most of that effect can be done by any champion with teleport, if they are paying attention.