A counter for map control.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ragnar Draconus

06-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfiend View Post
These are some amazing ideas. Hopefully Riot can do something with these. That said, I expect they will all require some new stuff before they can be implemented, so if they start today we'd be looking at about 4-6 months before it's released.

Counting the number of wards purchased is probably the simplest method to use, and the value of % map revealed doesn't seem worth the larger amount of time it'll take to develop that.
% map revealed = Total surface area of map lacking fog of war / Total surface area of map

Both numbers are already available, just a matter of putting an updating text box near the kill counters.

Frenche6

06-06-2011

I think something needs to be done to promote map control. Sadly I am usually the only one buying wards on my team. =[

z0rs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2011

What if allied players (or enemies) were given an invisible buff (or debuff) when they walked through your ward, so that any kills that happened within a few seconds would reward the WARDER with an assist?

z0rs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2011

Title made me think this was a thread about how to stop map control.

Lv5 Electromasta

06-06-2011

I like this idea because wards are lonely sitting in puppy shop and no one will buy even though they are cute.

goldman1337

06-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai wakatta View Post
These points could alternatively be shown on the UI as well, or simply just as an end game statistic.
great idea actually...
if they want to further increase ward usage, maybe make it so that these points make you get more ip or something

icarus wings

06-06-2011

it would also be funny if the ward would give you assistant points if someone was killed when in view or right after they got out of range, it could be simple as a aura that dosent exactly do anything but the games recognizes it as assisting the hero that killed the enemy

PunchGroin

06-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Interesting idea, I like the concept of trying to positively reinforce ward buying. It definitely takes too long for people to learn the benefits of using wards. Showing some kind of indication of this without altering game balance is appealing.
Just a *money spent on wards* stat that is easy to see, either in game or post game, would go a long way. (and that can be seen in match history or ranked stats) As a jungler, I often find that the burden of warding is placed on me, I don't seem to understand why laners never want to protect their own asses, when I am busting mine to protect theirs.

I also think this contributes to players not realizing exactly HOW powerful "ward" champs like Teemo, Nid, and Shaco really are. Map control is HUGE, and it's difficult to make players realize that you are winning the game for them without any kills of your own.

It's not just wards that contribute though, there are all kinds of difficult to quantify game behaviors that win games.

- Dragon/Baron Kills
- Jacking Jungle buffs
- Buying Aura items
- Performing a *save*
- Zoning

The title of this thread is kind of deceptive, by the way.

Supan00b

06-07-2011

Yeah this thread name is is really misleading. But I agree completely with the percent gain of map sight and the indicators of who is revealing the most. LoL is competitive and you don't want to be the guy with the lowest % on the team. I'm sure this will increase the number of wards.

I shall bump this forever.

Supan00b

06-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Interesting idea, I like the concept of trying to positively reinforce ward buying. It definitely takes too long for people to learn the benefits of using wards. Showing some kind of indication of this without altering game balance is appealing.
Spread it around the office friend!