A counter for map control.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hai wakatta

06-05-2011

So one of the great realizations of ranked game once people start hitting around 1400-1500ish ELO is that map control win games.
Yet many people still choose not to buy wards, because individuals are not rewarded for doing so. Rather the entire team benefits, and no one, besides the buyer, notice the actual value of the ward.

If there was an incentive to buy wards, it would increase the use of wards in games, and increase the average skill level in lower-mid ELO games.

Here are for example two ways this could be done:

- Include a % of map revealed counter on the UI, maybe right next to the minimap.
When people see a moving % number, they tend to find ways to increase it. It gives a quantitative measure of map control, and people will find a trend that if they are doing well, the number is high, if they are not doing so well, it's low. Thus finding ways to increase that number when they are doing bad.
- The % of map revealed, can also be divided up between players. So it shows on the screen, exactly who is contributing to map control.

- Include a # of wards bought statistic, at the end of the game.
Although this one would be less useful, it notes the importance of wards as a component to win games.

- (less UI related than mechanics but whatever), create a quantitative system for map control. So if you have revealed: X area over Y minute, you get map control points. This would require the game to be able to recognize who is revealing what part of the map, and identify ward placer's vision as theirs.
These points could alternatively be shown on the UI as well, or simply just as an end game statistic.

boourns

UI Designer

06-06-2011
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Interesting idea, I like the concept of trying to positively reinforce ward buying. It definitely takes too long for people to learn the benefits of using wards. Showing some kind of indication of this without altering game balance is appealing.

Mattarias

06-06-2011

Huh, this is actually a pretty great idea. I'll admit, I'm only recently starting to buy and place wards regularly, but more often than not, I'm the only one on my team doing so. This would be a great way to subtly encourage people to start thinking with the minimap. +1 upvote.

Gabriel Cancer

06-06-2011

Wow, this would be an awesome thing to implement.

TwoFatNuts

Adjudicator

06-06-2011

Love these ideas!

DoctorAlanGrant

06-06-2011

Riot, hire this man!

q0qvK3j0v5qmH3rU

06-06-2011

@ 1400 1500 the team with less trolls win the game
u mean over 1600

Godfiend

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2011

These are some amazing ideas. Hopefully Riot can do something with these. That said, I expect they will all require some new stuff before they can be implemented, so if they start today we'd be looking at about 4-6 months before it's released.

Counting the number of wards purchased is probably the simplest method to use, and the value of % map revealed doesn't seem worth the larger amount of time it'll take to develop that.

Vernaferous

06-06-2011

I like these ideas because of the potential! Its a good idea to encourage people to buy wards if it has something to show for them. Ive seen many games won by ward placement and the people that placed the wards hardly get any credit (watch any support in the tourny or high elo streams)

Just a little statistic at the end to show who contributed to map awareness would overall increase the number of wards bought.

Treecamel

06-06-2011

Bumping great idea!