Blue vs Purple map view is unbalanced due to perspective of camera

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pacifist Punch

06-10-2011

This really is a huge problem. I've recently played two games with Lux; one blue and one purple. Both games I went mid. On the blue side my vision was incredible and I was able to out lane the other guy hardcore with my long range and pokes.

Purple side is ridiculous. Half the time I couldn't see the guy because of the bad camera angle and the HUD being at the bottom. My overall map awareness took a nose dive because I was constantly spending time trying to get a good view of my mid enemy, let alone keeping up with the rest.

I don't play locked. Please do something about this I'm sure there are 50 thousand threads about this already.

Moving the icons to the top would be a start. Inverting the game board so that everyone viewed themselves as bottom / blue side would be better.

Everyone I know face palms when put on purple side. If you let me work on the code I would fix this annoyance for free...

edit - Reduced the hud size and disabled the hud bars and that helped immensely

Decilence

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-11-2011

I personally don't play with the camera locked and this is still a huge issue.

What's ridiculous to me is the fact that this problem has been brought up in a multitude of threads. Never have they gotten any Riot attention. And the only thing it would take is a clickable option that switches the camera view 180 degrees.

****ing ridiculous Riot.

Traxion

06-11-2011

Well I think they should just make the perspectives the same regardless of what side you were on. Given it would require them to make some art to modify how it looks reversed but I really don't think it would be that hard since it's a simple mirror.

Phoulmouth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2011

This thread has got to be about the lamest bunch of excuses for losing games I have ever seen.

Scryfire

06-13-2011

While I do not think the screen issue is as big of a deal as many of the posters here say it is, I think all the naysayers should actually consider the OP's argument, because the OP is right: playing from below means you have a smaller screen to work with, and the angle of the camera accentuates further.

I think it would be interesting to look at the top players of LoL and see if there is a trend in wins/losses based on a team being top or bottom. This is a survey Riot could easily do to determine whether or not there really is a difference in advantage.

Major Squiggles

06-13-2011

I completely agree with you. I absolutely hate being on purple side. It is really unfair. I always feel like I have so much less vision and it's true. As blue side i dominate skill shots because i can see. I play as Malzahar alot (recently some Twisted Fate) and Malzahar's call of the void take alot of aiming since it takes a little time to damage. When i lane as purple it is literally impossible to use call of the void with camera lock. I camera lock because it eliminates the need to scroll during fights and all my focus can be on well fighting. Yeah i can move the camera down to place the shot but it makes it very difficult when i can't see. Even still moving the camera means no vision behind me and yes i have been killed before from behind because i moved the camera down for a skill shot. I know "map awareness". I'm new so sue me but the camera being as is actually hard to deal with. Please riot fix.

SpidahMonkee

06-13-2011

I just posted a problem relating to this too. I was chasing someone down with amumu and was trying to bandage before he gets to the tower. I kept clicking amumu face at the bottom left corner, so the toss didn't go off and he got away which otherwise would had been a kill.

winterbelow

06-13-2011

how bout inverting the camera? just wonderin.

DaejinTye

06-14-2011

Simply put, this isn't a real important issue. The number one reason for my arguement is that all RTS games, such as Starcraft and Warcraft have their main and bulky UI on the bottom of their screen, and use the exact same game-types and camera angles. While sure, Warcraft had a turn camera ability, it only made things worse than they were.

Then you have the game this was based off of. The exact lay-out and style with some minor changes. Never once have I heard any complaint that the team on top had to battle with the UI. Granted the exact execution of skills and functionality is slightly off, if you're competent with mouse-movement you'll be able to play just fine. Granted I myself have even typed in the fame "BS!" from clickin' on the very edge of the UI, makin' my thunder shuriken fly off to my NW, missin' the killing blow entirely... I haven't ever really be beaten by it, or had it cripple a game. I compansated for it the moment I made the mistake the first time.

In conclusion: It's not a game-breaking design, and it doesn't interfere with the the individual games, giving help to one team while ruining the other. It's a minor flaw that comes with the territory.

Sailor Twift

06-14-2011

This has never bothered me, but I'd support giving us the option to invert the camera angle.

But to those of you who are mad at Riot, two things: 1, learn to appreciate just how much Riot has achieved before you consider raging over random imperfections, and 2, the angle is nearly the exact same as it was in dota and this "issue" NEVER came up. There is very little problem if you decide to not park your thoughts on one topic and just play the damn game.