Blue vs Purple map view is unbalanced due to perspective of camera

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SOBRAVE STAR

06-04-2011

The game isn't fair because when you center the camera on someone, you see more area above them as below them. This gives the top team a huge disadvantage, because when they press spacebar to center their camera, they see less of the battlefield than the bottom team.

If you don't believe me, grab a champion with a big range, and go to use it so the circle that shows your range pops up.You'll notice that it gets cut off at the bottom (if it's a longer range attack, like Ezreal's Mystic Shot), while there's plenty of room at the top.

To top this off, the top team also has to deal with the hud blocking part of their screen. Honestly, with the camera centered on your champion, you're realistically losing about 50% of the screen to the hud and the perspective from being top.

I don't see how this is fair. Bottom team gets a better view of the battlefield and gets to see more of what's going on and doesn't have the hud obstructing their view.

Is this intended? I know it really only matters on summoner's rift but I've noticed that a lot of games at my lower elo really depend more on if I'm top or bottom than our team comp or what's happening in the game.I've been meaning to keep track but I haven't been.

And I know it's been brought up that top has the hud in the way and it's not fair (Riot fixed this by making it so the hud doesn't intercept skill clicks), but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything about the perspective being unfair.

Fiddlesnarfx

06-04-2011

I know most of my wins are on blue and most of my losses are on purple. I know you can resize the UI, but that is not an option for some people, I cannot if I want to be able to read it, I had bad eyesight and the default scale is still a little too small.

datto

06-05-2011

absolutely agree 100%

allow moving the UI to the top of the screen at least. as someone who likes playing with the camera locked on their character, skill shots are often annoying to use if they have a long range (olaf's axe throw comes to mind for this particular example). allow more customization with UI scaling, having everything scale off the same...scale, is really annoying.

SOBRAVE STAR

06-05-2011

No, it has nothing to do with the HUD. Even without the HUD top team is at a huge disadvantage because of the perspective of the camera. Look at this picture I made demonstrating it.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/5505/lolisbroken.png

Attachment got resized hard.

Seoul O Top

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2011

we have a mini map for a reason. and most professional players actually prefer the purple side. also if you auto lock less and have better map awareness then argument is less valid.

The Real Smoff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1nt3rMut3 View Post
we have a mini map for a reason. and most professional players actually prefer the purple side. also if you auto lock less and have better map awareness then argument is less valid.
I dont think anybody here was implying the idea that they use locked camera on purple side. This has nothing to do with that at all but it does have to deal with the ANGLE of vision.

The Star of Hope

06-06-2011

I imagine it would be possible to mirror the purple / blue view in both axes with minimal overhead - it's a simple matrix transformation for players actions - and then both sides would see themselves in the bottom left (or top right, depending what you wanted).

Personally I prefer the purple view, since my health bar doesn't hide the health of the minion I'm trying to last hit then.

Anurek

06-06-2011

I was talking to some people about this, and we always hope for blue. I absolutely hate getting purple side personally, so I was thinking, why not just turn the entire map so that both bases start off across from each other just like twisted treeline? Should solve the angle problems and whatever else people may have issues with. Hell with the lack of maps, it might even give it a new feel :P

The Jawman

06-07-2011

Even as someone who plays without the camera locked it does make a noticeable difference being on top rather than bottom.

VinceXVega

06-09-2011

Value add for season 2 please!

12345 ... 6