[Major Suggestion] Leagues seperated by skill level

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ignus

09-01-2009

I was just playing a game with a new player a couple minutes ago, and I lost because of them. My inital reaction as a now veteran player is to go "Stupid noobs" and leave it at that, but it got me thinking about how that kinda sucks for newbies, and how it sucked for me when I was a newbie. It really made me want to quit and not play anymore when I got yelled at for making stupid mistakes.
With this being a team game, there's really no way to fail at the game without hurting other players, which is sort of a major flaw and a huge barrier to bringing new blood and new players into the fold. And the fewer players in the game the less fun it is for everyone since we have to wait longer for matches.

My suggested solution is to have a specific "Newbie League" where perhaps only summoners level 1-10 or 1-15 can play against each other, or even a ranking system independent of summoner level since some new players are Dota pros. By separating out the player base like this you eliminate the issue of veterans having to compensate for newbies or losing because they fed the other team, and you give newbs a good place to fight against each other and learn the basic strategies without getting yelled at for it.

12A1N

09-01-2009

I kinda like the idea. It is very similar to how WoW does their battlegrounds.

Lollerman

09-01-2009

Summoner level only restricts summoner spells/champions available to those players; it doesn't necessarily mean they're bad players.

If newbs fight among newbs they'll learn slowly, lengthening the time it takes for them to reach a satisfactory "not-newb" degree of skill, so the suggestion is counter productive towards its own purpose.

What you could do is expect players to be **** in a public game, especially if you're not playing with your friends. The community can manage themselves; I don't want LoL micro managing the demographic with exclusive game tags like "noobs only"... it's acceptable if its set by the players, but if you include a feature in the game, it only serves to segregate the community more.

Also, you could go a long way by learning not to rage about noobs on your team; makes your playing experience more pleasurable. Besides, who doesn't love noobs? It gives you deniability in your own loss. It's the jerks who are annoying.

doornob

09-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollerman View Post
Summoner level only restricts summoner spells/champions available to those players; it doesn't necessarily mean they're bad players.

If newbs fight among newbs they'll learn slowly, lengthening the time it takes for them to reach a satisfactory "not-newb" degree of skill, so the suggestion is counter productive towards its own purpose.

What you could do is expect players to be **** in a public game, especially if you're not playing with your friends. The community can manage themselves; I don't want LoL micro managing the demographic with exclusive game tags like "noobs only"... it's acceptable if its set by the players, but if you include a feature in the game, it only serves to segregate the community more.

Also, you could go a long way by learning not to rage about noobs on your team; makes your playing experience more pleasurable. Besides, who doesn't love noobs? It gives you deniability in your own loss. It's the jerks who are annoying.
Agreed, having an excuse for losing help me to sleep better at night =P. People who act like total jerks to new players as opposed to teaching them and giving advice take away from the game more than new players.