Tryndamere Twisted Treeline Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EMotionally

06-04-2011

Hey all,

I'm having trouble deciding which runes to buy for Tryndamere speciallised for Twisted Treeline. I've read a lot through other past queries on Tryndamere but they haven't helped. A lot of them said get critical chance runes, but what I dislike is that I already start with 20% at level 1 (Tryndamere's Passive + Brawler's Glove + Masteries). I like critical damage because I kill squishies so easily, but I often see lots of Tanks and Tanky-DPS nowadays which makes Armor Penetration much useful. Your thoughts?

acosn

06-04-2011

You shouldn't build a rune page with more than one type of runes devoted to crit chance, and even then I'd only do it in 5v5, and only for jungling because you need a high-ish crit frequency of crits to stay in the jungle long enough to justify the whole build anyways.

A very general analysis of Runes for Tryndamere:

REDS: Armor Penetration. It doesn't matter how hard you swing, how often it crits, or how often you do it, if you're not cutting through your opponent's armor an item like Thornmail will stop you every time, and you don't always want to reach for the Last Whisperer like it's crack. It's not a good item unless most of the other team has more than one armor-primary item.

BLUES: Magic Resist. CDR is acceptable if you're jungling.

YELLOW: Dodge. Armor is acceptable as well.

Quints: Armor Penetration. HP is acceptable if you're lazy and want general rune pages to use for many different characters.

holySatan

06-04-2011

I disagree. Trynd's early game is so weak that the crit runes really help him farm and get his stacks up. Think of it not exactly as a damage dealing rune but a utility rune.

Nobody gets a thornmail until mid game and you should have your IE by then. Your farming should be so good by then that you can get a last whisper easily (1-2 hits per minion). And if they're naturally beefy champs with armor skills then you shouldn't be targeting them anyways. Your job is to kill their squishies, spin away, heal and repeat.

You may have 20% at level 1, but I have 34% (marks and quints). So I get stacks roughly 70% faster. I don't usually go back to base until after level 6, and until then my game is roughly 70% better then yours. To get the same crit chance I have, you need to run around at 65% health.

acosn

06-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by holySatan View Post
I disagree. Trynd's early game is so weak that the crit runes really help him farm and get his stacks up. Think of it not exactly as a damage dealing rune but a utility rune.

Nobody gets a thornmail until mid game and you should have your IE by then. Your farming should be so good by then that you can get a last whisper easily (1-2 hits per minion). And if they're naturally beefy champs with armor skills then you shouldn't be targeting them anyways. Your job is to kill their squishies, spin away, heal and repeat.

You may have 20% at level 1, but I have 34% (marks and quints). So I get stacks roughly 70% faster. I don't usually go back to base until after level 6, and until then my game is roughly 70% better then yours. To get the same crit chance I have, you need to run around at 65% health.
You're not blindly swinging at mobs to run charges. All that'll do is leave you exposed to ganks, pass easy gold from not last hitting, and get you, or your lane mate killed.

Killing mobs gets you stacks anyways.

The only reason you should be remotely concerned about stacks is to heal yourself. You're not expecting to get any kills on players until you at least have one level in each basic ability. Less if your target is bad at escaping.

Armor pen is also better damage early game when your opponents have much less armor to begin with. Ignoring 10 armor when your target has 30 total makes your attacks hurt a hell of a lot more than you might think.

On the other hand if someone screwed up at champion select and for whatever reason your lane isn't one where you have reasonable handle on the lane mobs, yeah, get crit. A lot of playing tryndamere comes down to whether you're working with mouth breathers.

Shadez

06-05-2011

i run crit dmg runes. having played over 200 games as tryndamere on 5v5 and 3v3, i have come to conclude that i personally like crit dmg runes better then crit chance. since you basically have 20% crit chance with gloves at lvl one, i find it better to hit harder with my crits then crit more often early game. here's my build:
-Crit dmg runes
-21/0/9 mastery setup
ITEMS
-Brawlers gloves
-avarice blade
-+1 boots
-zerker or merc boots
-Zeal
-Phantom dancer
-B.F. Sword
-IE
-another PD
-Last Whisper
-Bloodthirster or defensive item

with this build, i'll have almost 100% crit. people think that is bad for trynd, but if i have 100%, i'll be critting alot more then you and with my crit dmg runes, i'll be hitting a LOT harder, and faster with the phantom dancers. i use my passive for the early game so i dont have to rely on it late game when my damage is going to need to be alot more dependable. Last whisper lets me deal with the tanks, and the life steal from the bloodthirster lets me withstand thornmail.

Nuhliepoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-05-2011

Crit dmg runes are fine, but I find Crit Chance runes really help out your slow early game.