AP Poppy viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Soulseeker78

06-04-2011

I picked up Poppy a few days ago and really like playing her. Especially mid/late game when I can run around and gank. I've been playing her as mostly AD, but typically start out with more of an AP build.

My question is what if I was to stick with an AP build all the way through? Is this viable? If so some suggestions on items to build with would be appreciated.

HarisPiIton

06-04-2011

AP is extremely good burst:

- Lich bane
- Death Cap
- DFG
- Sorcs or mercs, usually sorcs as they're insane early game.

Flash/ignite. R -> DFG -> E -> Q -> Ignite. Always works. Ult boosts DFG and ignite.

Catnium

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2011

ap poppy is very viable
check out some of the guide stuffs on http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...sortOrder=DESC for insperationz

purr!

4Touchdowns1Game

06-04-2011

Some say AD Poppy is much better because AP Poppy is cooldown dependant (even though AP Poppy wrecked in the ESL games when played).

Miltus

06-04-2011

If by "viable" you mean "much better than other Poppy builds" then yes.

Eddiot

06-04-2011

Its only viable if you like melting people.

Call of Rudy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2011

It's more than viable. Enjoy 2 hitting carries late game.

biomorph

06-04-2011

The only reason AP poppy might seem a bit off edge is usually due to lack of training.
As stated above she is cool down dependent which means that there is a thin line between success and failure.
This is also typically why people tend to sneer a bit if they see you build AP, but that is only until you start two(three) shooting enemy carries.
Point being that you do not pick AP poppy right of the shelf and own, but with some practice you will never want to build her in any other way, I certainly do not

4Touchdowns1Game

06-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomorph View Post
The only reason AP poppy might seem a bit off edge is usually due to lack of training.
As stated above she is cool down dependent which means that there is a thin line between success and failure.
This is also typically why people tend to sneer a bit if they see you build AP, but that is only until you start two(three) shooting enemy carries.
Point being that you do not pick AP poppy right of the shelf and own, but with some practice you will never want to build her in any other way, I certainly do not
But if your team already has lots of magic damage you would build her like an AD carry in stead and do what Tryndamere is supposed to do only better, right? BTW what runes/masteries do you use?

biomorph

06-05-2011

I'm not sure I would be too fast to call AD poppy better than trynd per say because trynd requires less items to deliver consistent damage, however way easier to stop. So in a sense yes she is better because she can still burst and harder to deal with.

As for runes and masteries I use caster like setup:
9/0/21 masteries for MPen, and CDR + yummy stuff

Runes:
HP quints, MPen marks, MR5/lvl seals and CDR glyphs.

I am not too certain about my runes, certainly one could argue that dodge seals might be better, but since I rush Sheen and Boots means that the first few level I have very little MR5 which is why MR5 seals are nice. One could argue also that HP quints are not necessary, however I find that it works nicely for early game. Just because you get some HP does not mean that you can not exploit your passive however stacking HP on poppy is foolish.