Comparing Demigod to League of Legends

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rigphoria

03-26-2010

I was an early adopter for Demigod and it may have been the worst gaming purchase I've ever made. It's a good game brought down by ****ty netcode and support in general. Once I found out about LoL and got into beta it just wasn't worth trying to play DG through all the bugs.

TDude

03-26-2010

The best thing about Demigod was the flag and reinforcement portal system, preventing such a heavy focus on team fights and putting more focus on map control. High end play had a lot more spreading out in the late game than other MOBAs do.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

03-26-2010

Demigod was a very interesting game, with quite a few good ideas. I occasionally play a game or two just to remember what it had that worked.

Was it fun? Not really. There was just something... off... about the whole game for me. It didn't really feel like it worked.

dreamgame

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micar View Post
Wow, sorry dude. Demi god is slow, small amount of champs with some pretty mundane abilities and runs like **** on my computer which can run LoL and WoW at 30+ FPS.

I tried to like it, i really did. But just no.
30+? Lol ok. No surprise you couldn't run Demigod properly.
On topic, Demigod was beautiful but the network code was... lol and I still feel bad for them about the launch.

Andromansis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigphoria View Post
I was an early adopter for Demigod and it may have been the worst gaming purchase I've ever made. It's a good game brought down by ****ty netcode and support in general. Once I found out about LoL and got into beta it just wasn't worth trying to play DG through all the bugs.
See, exactly.
All of the mistakes the game made can't really be boiled down to poor gameplay, but rather poor programming and lack of vision when it came to a metagame.

If they'd taken the route that DDO took and tried to monetize off of the game while giving it away for free, releasing new content periodically, this entire thread would have a completely different landscape.

One can argue that the pacing of each game was bad, but I found it rather enjoyable. The gameplay elements were very solid contributions to the genre and at least as valid as the contributions that LoL has offered.

At the end of the day though, LoL is just so much more accessible and that translates into a much better gameplay experience, and compound that with the stability of the client, and you've got some nice things going on.

Twer I riot though, I would talk with their publisher (THQ) and see if they still have the number for GPG laying around. (THQ published Supreme Commander) As the saying goes, talk is cheap. I don't know how many of the core staffers are still at GPG, people like Mike Marr and the art guys for Demigod. If nothing else, Chris Taylor is always fun to talk to.

Explojo Verde

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromansis View Post
The crossbow-angel guy, Lord Erebus, was very imba. That guy just ruined everybody's day. I think one time I got a double-kill from half way across one of the 3v3 maps.
I believe the angel was Regulus. I know Lord Erebus was the vampire, because that's who I used to play. Demigod was a lot of fun, but there were only like 50 people playing it when I quit.

Korlee

03-26-2010

I really liked Demigod to be honest but I think what really killed it was they made it to graphic intensive. A great many online gamers just have okay computers or something slightly old. The percentage of people that have top end for every game every year is quite low. As such if you had an okay comp you'd get some slowdown as the game progressed. Simply because so much was going in that very detailed game everywhere it had to keep track of and combined with the meh coding used for online play?

Ya, the game was fun but a shame those two things really striked against it.

KrupsMcGee

03-26-2010

I remember how excited I was when I heard Demigod was being released, and when I got it I was so excited to play it, and I played like 100 lan games with my friends and earned all kinds of points to unlock those cool special starting items. I loved the concept of upgrading your base and towers, the control point objectives were an awesome idea with deep strategic possibility and the Heros were each varied and interesting. I thought it was pretty well balanced as well, moreso than LoL imo. We started to get bored with LAN so we tried to get into online competitive play and all our single player points and acheivement progress was deleted and we all got sad and quit.

Also playing that game made me long for the item variety of DOTA, because I think I ended up with pretty much the same item build for every character (or maybe 2 or 3 different TOTAL builds). I think because the items were so much more powerful. They seemed to overshadow the Heros' abilities to the point where it didn't really feel like it mattered which hero I picked by the endgame. And when it came down to it I thought, man this game has so many cool ideas. Why is it so boring?

LoL did it right by concentrating on keeping players in the action, fast paced and furious. It is more punishing for mistakes and encourages teamwork in much a different way than Demigod. Though Demigod was essentially all about map control, I still think it plays a much more important role in LoL because of how fast the tides can turn if map control is lost (baron). Each champion plays much differently than the others, though they fulfill similar roles, making it FEEL fresh with each champion, and each champ comp you play against. It's just much deeper with its one map and game type than Demigod by virtue of it's map and champion design. If they ever add more game modes and get TT out I think I'll play LoL forever, esp if they keep up the good work with new champs.

CosMoe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2010

Demigod was different, fun and the graphics were really awesome.
Past tense intended.

BECAUSE

It had a patch frequency of about 1 patch every 3 months. Glaring bugs and balance issues were very slowly or not at all addressed, even though the correct code was presented in the forums by modders. Sometimes the patches (without adding new stuff!) made things even worse. One third of the items were useless, yet never changed.

Matchmaking was not implemented. PuG stompers drove away a lot of new players.

The p2p multiplayer (i.e. no server) architecture demanded a lot of upload speed. Most of the players could only handle 3vs3 maps at maximum. 80% of all games were played on 1 map.

This all resulted in a constant decrease of the playerbase which now has to be less than ~200.

RIP Demigod.

FU GPG.

Sevenix

Adjudicator

03-26-2010

Demigod is a great game, although the lack of support from GPG kinda killed it.
The 2 Demigods you say were "cracked" wasn't really cracked but rather released. The game contains 10 demigods today.

If you still want the game you can use my friend invite code which gives you 75% off at impulse, so it is in fact, cheap as hell.
DGFRIEND-3517948