Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Surrendering - No negatives to a deplorable act?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aceindahole

Recruiter

03-25-2010

I've been playing the game for a few weeks now, and have extremely enjoyed the first two weeks or so of my play time (not that I don't enjoy it now, but we'll get to that). I have noticed that, now more than ever, people are surrendering the game as early as 25 minutes in, when a regular match I used to play lasted anywhere from 40-55 minutes.

Now I am still a fan of the idea of a surrender system, but are there no negatives to it? I click 'No' every time the query comes up but the rest of my teammates, whoever they may be, are so fast to surrender that my enjoyment of the game is getting cut extremely short. It is not necessarily because myself or one of my other teammates is doing bad, but right when the outer walls of my (or the other team's) home base has been breached, a surrender query will almost instantly pop up. When joining a new game I often find myself with great anxiety asking all players to please play the game through and not surrender until you feel absolutely ALL hope is lost. They never even consider this notion.

Also, another point I would like to bring up about the surrender system is that, with no negatives attached to it, it gives the game a very 'grindy' feel (that is to say that you are playing the game much more for quick exp-acquiring purposes rather than fun, sorry to use a WoW term on these forums). Every single past game I have played in the past week-ish has ended in one side surrendering.

Remember: the Samurai would rather die than surrender in battle. Shouldn't the player feel the same way, and be rewarded for it?

Edit - Why is my post getting negged? I'm just asking questions and giving feedback to what I feel is a slightly faulty system. I am doing it in a well thought out and understandable way, too. Some people are just too close-minded to even peek outside the box, let alone think outside of it.

TurtleKing

03-25-2010

Its a video game? just thought I'd bring that up.

haaaaaaaalp

03-25-2010

When you get more expierence, you will be able to tell when a game is over and when it isn't. When a game is over, you really aren't playing a true LOL game so there shouldn't be any penalty for ending the "game"

Grimkrieg

03-25-2010

Many games breakdown into poor teamwork or even ranting blame-fests. Without surrender these would go on forever.

The negative for a surrender is that you do not get nearly the amount of IP that you would for a long, well fought loss.

noskill5

03-25-2010

the amount of idiocy in this thread makes my head hurt.

OP: natural selection exists for a reason, stop defying it and jump off a bridge thanks

aceindahole

Recruiter

03-25-2010

I said 'game' 8 times in my post, play 6 times, and player 2 times. I am well aware that it is a game, and since you are on the forums and posting just like I am you obviously play/are interested as much as I am.

I do agree that experience would give me more insight on when a game is 'over' or not, but 25 minutes and 4 or 5 friendly turrets down is NOT a lost game by any means. I have came back from worse in my earlier weeks of play.

Quote:
noskill5:
the amount of idiocy in this thread makes my head hurt.

OP: natural selection exists for a reason, stop defying it and jump off a bridge thanks

...What? You're aware that makes no sense, right? You honestly just sound like a 8th grader who just learned what 'natural selection' is, and wanted to attempt to troll someone (failed attempt, by the way).

jerzy

Recruiter

03-25-2010

I always click on the no option as well. Quitting is still quitting, no matter how you try to sugar coat it.

Ennbeard

03-25-2010

I prefer it the way it is now.

Otherwise it simply leads to AFKing and /dancing with myself
Oh /dancing with myself
Well there's nothing to lose
And there's nothing to prove
I'll be /dancing with myself

...*Ahem* Anyway, another reason is because chances are, unless the team is stupid, they're surrendering for a good reason. If you haven't won a teamfight at all, and there have been several, then they're just too fed, and outside of a lucky backdooring (Rarely effective enough) you'll just keep... dying. Which, to many, isn't fun. I hate being in a game where the enemy team is far enough ahead that I can't even do anything, at all.

That, and even if they're fed, it still takes a good while to push.

Arizel

03-25-2010

those of you in this thread thus far that say they click no every single time are simply Selfish. You can't assume that the other 9 players you are playing with have the same amount of free time as you do. Most people would much rather finish their game and start another. New games bring new opportunities or possible losses for both sides of the game you are playing. Sure, Dragging out a game would be fun for having all the high tier items and the huge team battles that usually end up being a nuke/focus fest, but a win is a win and a loss is simply a loss. Surrenders are losses, but quicker and it saves more time for everyone involved. You may say that the surrenderers are selfish for not allowing the "no no"s to play through to the end, but hey, I suppose it all depends on how narcissistic or arrogant one is.

03-25-2010

You get less IP.