Extreme Choppiness Issues (basically unplayable)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Volcove

08-31-2009

Long story short, I recently installed LoL. The game installed, patched and loaded successfully, and while it is initially OK to play, extreme choppiness hits the moment the lanes clash. This is associated with an extreme amount of delay, preventing actions from being registered for 5-10 seconds (sometimes even more). Needless to say, it is unplayable as it stands.

Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory

This is rather perplexing, especially since other games with higher graphic requirements (Heroes of Newearth comes to mind) are still playable, even if low graphic settings are required.

My guess is that the graphics card is the problem (I have little experience in that regard), but additional input would be appreciated.

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

08-31-2009
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Basically the specs of your computer are a bit low to run LoL very effectively. With that said there are a few things we can try to boost performance.

So the first thing I would try is double checking to make sure your graphics card drivers as well as all recent Windows updates are installed on your computer. Some users have cited optional Windows updates solving graphical issues.

Try turning all of the in game video options down to low or lowest. Turning off shadows can also give some good results for older graphics cards.

Next, try turning off as many background programs as you can manage. Type "msconfig" into Run (or the start menu search box in vista/windows 7). Use the tool that pops up to select which programs Windows runs automatically on start up. These options can be found in the Startup and Services tabs. Virus scanners are a common culprit for eating up memory.

Another possible solution is defragging your computer.

Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

Frozt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

08-31-2009

Volcove, are you the one I know?

Jesse, I would like to point out as of late a lot of people have been complaining about choppiness issues in-game. I just returned from a 9 day vacation where I had very good FPS and latency prior to it (up to 8/21) and I played a game tonight where my FPS was dropping to ~10, along with a few others I was playing with.

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

09-01-2009
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Would you guys mind attaching your dxdiag files? Maybe there's some new issue with certain video cards.

Instructions to attach dxdiag here.

Feral

09-01-2009

Attachment 1839

This work for you Jesse?

Frozt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

09-01-2009

Here's my dxdiag:

Volcove

09-01-2009

@ Frozt - I don't know of anyone else that uses the name Volcove, so I'm pretty sure you know me. >_>

@ Jesse - In regards to your advice:

I am aware that my specs aren't going to be running the game at a high capacity, but they appear to be just below the recommended specifications, so it should be at least playable.

I'll check through updates momentarily; the only thing on the list I haven't really done yet.

All graphic settings were already at their lowest, and shadows were turned off from the getgo. Apparently such settings were automatically determined and set up when I started playing (due to the auto graphics option).

I had done the MSCONFIG task a long time ago, and almost nothing runs in the background at this point. I'll check by it again, but I doubt closing anything else would help.

I just ran a defrag; it helped a little, but not enough. Things start out acceptable, but FPS gradually worsens as the game goes on (it dipped down to 6-8 at its worst), and delay also accumulates as well. About 4 minutes into the match, there was 22 seconds of delay between a click and the order's actual execution (this is not an exaggeration; I timed it).
It is generally at it's worst when the lane creeps clash and fight.

Posting DxDiag text with this post

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

09-01-2009
3 of 3 Riot Posts

22 seconds of delay is definitely a lot more than I would expect. This is becoming a more frequent problem. Thanks for all the dxdiags guys, helps a lot.

The only player that I've run across that was able to solve the issue did so by installing an optional Windows update relating to video drivers.

Feral

09-01-2009

Thanks for the information Jesse, i'll check that out and see what Windows has to offer.

Falcon Punch

09-01-2009

I have found the chop happening in my games as well. One thing to look at is to see is if the people who can play fine, and then come back after their computer has been on for a while, is the OS. I play with a group of guys, and Vista users never have issues. However, on XP, if we leave the game running for too long, say to go grab some food, or if I leave my computer on all night, the game is choppy as all hell. I have found a quick restart sovles the issue. Might be a memory leak?