Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Armor Pen vs Armor Reduction vs Armor Piercing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Airoe

03-25-2010

My question is which applies first?

Armor Piercing = the 6 armor piercing from the Sunder mastery (this could just be another way of saying penetration, but for complete clarity I'm asking about it separately)
Armor Penetration = armor pen runes, the Brutalizer, Stark's Furvor, Last Whisper
Armor Reduction = the 60 armor reduction you can apply to a target from The Black Cleaver

Also, specifically for Armor Penetration, which item applies first? Last Whisper > Starks > Brutalizer?

Thanks in advance.

wildfire393

03-25-2010

First, any reduction effects (Cleaver, Stark's, Abilities) apply. This can reduce armor below 0.
Then, any % penetration effects apply (Last Whisper).
Finally, any flat penetration (including Sunder) applies.

Garborg2

03-25-2010

From first sticky threaded in this forum:

Quote:
Q: What order is armor penetration/MR penetration applied in? (Credit to TiberiusAudley)

A: From top to bottom

Armor/MR Reduction
% Based Armor/MR Penetration
Flat/Linear Armor/MR Penetration

Airoe

03-25-2010

Quote:
Garborg2:
From first sticky threaded in this forum:

So can all types force an enemy below 0 armor? I ask because I tested on creeps and no matter how much flat armor penetration I had, the most I could ever damage someone was +2 damage over my current AD.

wildfire393

03-25-2010

Quote:
Airoe:
So can all types force an enemy below 0 armor? I ask because I tested on creeps and no matter how much flat armor penetration I had, the most I could ever damage someone was +2 damage over my current AD.

No, only reduction. Penetration of any variety is capped at 0.