What's your reason for up/down-rating posts?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2010

When you up or down-rate a post, what's your reason?
I notice that people tend to down rate posts that they do not agree with, even if it's a very subjective topic. Or they will often up rate a post even if it really doesn't contribute to the discussion.

Personally, I up rate posts that have good information, are on topic, or just make good arguments, even if I don't agree with the opinion. I often even up-vote posts that proves me wrong.
I down rate posts that are very subjective, or contain swear words or name calling.

So how do you rate posts? Do you think it can ever be an effective method to monitoring a webboard? Should something like this be taught in school, now that the internet is so pervasive?

PorkNasty

03-25-2010

Sometimes it's a popularity contest; look at Larias posts, he's got people downrating left and right just cause they don't like him regardless of the post. Also if someone posts anything remotely anti LoL or pro HoN you can expect automatic downrating. Then maybe you got two-three guys on one side of an argument uprating eachothers posts then downrating the guy they're arguing with to make their side look better. It's a pretty useless feature imo..

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2010

I think they should really make you type out the reason to vote a post. Then the webmaster can come sift through some random ones every now and then, then slap some banhammers on the bad ones.